Brexit will be Titanic success, says Boris Johnson

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Gaius_Marius, Nov 3, 2016.

1. Gaius_Marius

Gaius_Marius Well-Known Member Past Donor

Politicians are not always the brightest people on the planet. Although the Anglo-Saxons definitely do take the prize for the year 2016.
    I think this nugget from Boris is on course to take this years prize.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/03/brexit-will-be-titanic-success-says-boris-johnson

In other news... The High Court has ruled that May does not have dictatorial powers from the referendum and that Parliament must be allowed to vote on triggering Article 50

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2016/nov/03/parliament-must-trigger-brexit-high-court-rules

The Farce Continues.

Let's make a Titanic Success out of it Boris!

2. supaskip

supaskip Well-Known Member

I read it as they need to vote on the circumstances on the trigger, rather than the trigger being allowed to happen.

3. Gaius_Marius

Incorrect. The circumstances cannot be known before triggering Article 50. There can be no negotiation before that happens.
    So that would be impossible.
    Whether Parliament also needs to accept the deal after negotiations is a good question. Probably.

4. supaskip

supaskip Well-Known Member

The circumstances from the UK end (not the EU end). i.e. When to trigger it, rather than if it should be triggered.

5. Gaius_Marius

The country leaving must notify the EU. Thereafter they have two years to negotiate the exit deal.

May must ask Parliament when she wants to trigger it and Parliament decides whether they want to or not. May can decide when she wants to trigger it but not if.

6. An Old Guy

An Old Guy Well-Known Member

For the OP I agree with you on the craziness of this whole Brexit situation, a monumental disaster for Great Britain and the EU. As for Boris Johnson, I won't offer any comment on this scumbag. The court has delivered their ruling and they are correct, Parliament has to make it official. Where it gets interesting is the vote in Parliament should be unanimous - i.e. Brexit moves forward - any negative vote negates the "will of the people" as decided by referendum. The referendum results dictate this and the court wants Parliament to make it "official" - and they should, by a unanimous vote.

7. Thehumankind

Thehumankind Well-Known Member

What they need is just a smooth exit to maintain diplomatic relation which is whatsoever superficial,
    the economic ties id of course healthy shall never be influenced by politics and I think is the main concern of the Brits at this moment. The Brits although not a part of EU but in times of calling would be readily available it need the EU for it's existence both defensively and economically. It's just the rejection of some policies but not with the entirety that compelled them and they should be treated in the same fashion.

8. Borat

Borat Banned

Jeez, I thought I've heard it all... So following through on a decision made by the majority of the British voters is "dictatorial powers", allowing a handful of corrupt elitists ignore and override the will of the people is "democracy" according to the libs. Duh. It's 1984 all over again.

9. crank

crank Well-Known Member

Don't vote in democracy if you don't like to see it in action.

10. Gaius_Marius

Why am I not surprised that you think to know better than the judges?
    You can read the decision here;
    https://www.judiciary.gov.uk/wp-con...tary-of-state-for-exiting-the-eu-20161103.pdf

11. Borat

Borat Banned

I am not talking about the legal technicalities of the case. That a referendum decision must be "validated" by corrupt elites pretty much destroys the whole point of having referendums. Why bother asking the people when the judges and the parliament know best. Duh. What are you celebrating?

12. Gaius_Marius

Ah... I see the problem. You are trying to fit this into some kind of mental box you see the world with.
    I have better things to do.

13. Borat

Borat Banned

Your better thing to do is fitting this into the 1984 box - abiding by the results of a referendum is "dictatorship", ignoring the will of the voters is "democracy" according to your leftist ilk. Sad, not surprising though.

14. Gaius_Marius

This isn't either the first or last time that people make stupid and uninformed decisions that can have major negative consequences.
    The Brits if they haven't already will soon appreciate that Parliament has a say in what is going to happen.
    Having a politician sweep in from obscurity to suddenly change their country fundamentally on levels the referendum in no way made clear is not democratic.
    It's rather the opposite.

Also... This was an advisory referendum that was decided by 52% of the 70% that actually voted. Not to mention that Scotland, Northern Ireland and Gibraltar all voted to stay and have made it clear they will not want to leave.

So pack your elite bull(*)(*)(*)(*) and whatever buzzwords about democracy and sovereignty you use away. It was what got the Brits in the stupid position they are in.

15. Borat

Borat Banned

I know, if an opinion is not in line with the liberal orthodoxy - it's stupid, uninformed, racist, misogynist and it must be squashed, ignored, overruled. I hear the same views from american leftists. The leftist idea of democracy is that the leftists rule, not the majority. Stalin and North Korean rulers agree. As I said, your views are 1984 all over again. You'd do very well in that year.

16. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

So how do you justify the fact that for eight years the Republicans have been trying to thwart every initiative that Obama has proposed. Believe he was actually elected by the majority of the American voters. And of course when the majority elect Hillary the same will occur. So are you a hypocrite or what?

17. Gaius_Marius

You have already proven how shallow your knowledge is. You are just throwing around buzzwords and it is quite transparent and boring.

18. Borat

Borat Banned

Are you OK? Republican representatives were also elected by the majority of their constituency to represent their constituency and to provide checks and balances, not to rubberstamp Obama's (or anyone else's) proposals. Duh. You've heard of checks and balances, haven't you or do I have to teach you everything? This has absolutely nothing in common with the attempts by the british elites to override the results of a legal referendum and blatantly disregard the will of the voters explicitly shown in a binding referendum.

19. Borat

Borat Banned

That the will of the voters expressed in a legal and binding referendum should be honored is not a matter of "knowledge", it's a matter of one's morals, democratic values and intellectual honesty. You probably don't understand what I am talking about.

20. crank

crank Well-Known Member

I see you have the benefit of forecasting the future.

We mortals will just have to wait and see if it turns out to be a 'stupid position'. If, in 20 years time, the UK is socially intact, not suffering high levels of terrorism, and is puttering long financially - while northern EU members drown in social discord and violence, and struggle to regain the high standard of living they once knew, you may need to reconsider.

21. unbiased institute

unbiased institute Member

The court ruling doesn't mean that the Brexit has been stopped. All it does is delay the inevitable.

22. vman12

vman12 Well-Known Member Past Donor

It's a good thing they did. The only thing that got through was the Unaffordable Care Act.

Look how that pet project turned out.

Obama should have stuck to Community Incitement and removing asbestos.

- - - Updated - - -

The peasants know not what they do and should limit their activities to rolling around in the mud eh?

23. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

It's a storm in a teacup. Brexit will happen, and sooner than many believe. The more the remoaners bellyache and attempt to frustrate the process, the more determined the Brexiteers will become in seeing it through. Think 'the law of unintended consequences'? And talking of 'consequences', Johnson is an inconsequential clown - always has been, always will be. Thank god Gove stopped him becoming PM - at last we have a good PM. We've waited long enough for one.

24. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

I said from the moment it was clear the Leave campaign had won that this wouldn't stick. My prediction was that they'd hold out for a year, then brush it off once people have mostly lost interest.

I was wrong about the time period they'd wait, and for that I'm very sorry. I will do better next time (possibly with Trump).

25. see you next tuesday

see you next tuesday Active Member

I voted to remain but i'm quite excited that we are leaving. The best thing about brexit is that nobody has a clue whats going to happen because nobody's ever done it before.