Which Computer Maker Has the Best Tech Support?

Discussion in 'Computers & Tech' started by longknife, Nov 5, 2016.

1. longknife

longknife New Member

A very important question. I bought my desktop for the price and amount of my work it would hold. Since then, I've discovered my manufacturers support hasn't been all that great. (I get better info from other online sources.)

“Apple got top marks, providing significantly better service than all other computer manufacturers,” says Adam Troy, Ph.D., the CR senior research associate who headed up the survey. In manufacturer tech support, Apple scored an 82 out of 100, as well as a 5 out of 5 for phone support and a 4 out of 5 for online support. And readers reported that their problems were solved 79 percent of the time. The next two most highly rated companies, Microsoft and Dell, scored a 68 and 56, respectively. Though Lenovo ranks in the top three in many of our computer ratings, in support it was fourth, with a 54.

For in-store tech support, the Apple Store’s Genius Bar was also tops but was matched by independent local computer retailers. Both got an 81 in our reader survey. (Always check to see whether fees apply.)

It then give this link @ http://www.consumerreports.org/products/manufacturer-tech-support/ratings-overview/?EXTKEY=AFOXDIG01 More of the article @ http://www.foxnews.com/tech/2016/11/05/which-computer-maker-has-best-tech-support.html

2. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

For about 14 years I've been buying computer hardware from our local long-established comp shop a mile from where I live, and when I want a new computer I just waltz in with a list of specs and ask them to build me one, and that personal service approach works fine. In the event of a problem developing later, I simply take it back in for them to fix.
    So my advice to anybody is to find a good shop like that in your neck of the woods (even if you have to drive 50 or 100 miles or more), rather than buy a machine off the shelf from a big impersonal store.:)

3. mbk734

mbk734 Well-Known Member

Apple computers are a bit overpriced but well built and have excellent customer service especially if you buy AppleCare Warranty. Unfortunately Apple seems more focused on iOS devices at the moment. Their desktops haven't been updated in a while.
    I have also had good luck with Dell. You can also build your own computer fairly inexpensively and reuse parts if they fail.
    If you purchase your computer with an AMEX you get an extra year of warranty. If the computer dies they will refund you.