Why the Family Leave Policies Should be Revised

Discussion in 'Civil Rights' started by graham_william, Nov 8, 2016.

1. graham_william

graham_william New Member

When approaching the topic of paid paternal and/or family leave, one can usually can see multiple viewpoints on what exactly is the the “right” choice. I personally believe that family leave is an extremely important issue that needs to be addressed by both the American public and the upcoming presidential candidates. Fathers, like mothers, should be fully able to receive a paid absence from labor when his child is born. It seems with this upcoming election this topic is becoming more widely known to many uninformed individuals, which is most definitely a great thing for America. For example, on Hillary Clinton’s campaigning website she explains her specific plan of action to assist hard-working Americans and guarantee paid family and medical leave. This webpage has immense potential to not only secure a new abundance of voters, but to also inform many individuals on this rising debate that has had a growing impact on middle class families within the United States. This website resource is not the only place where people happen to be discussing such a growing topic. There have also been countless writing pieces and newspaper articles regarding the new ideas of paternal leave. Many authors are taking their personal stances on this political controversy and are backing themselves up with high-quality information. Reliable sources with facts and statistics are helping them make their argument more appealing and attractive to readers across the nation. A couple articles from The Atlantic describe specific situations among families, explaining how paid family leave helped them immensely when caring for their newborn. Others described the major benefits these paid absences would have on the social and political aspects of our federal government as a whole. (Maybe cite this?)One specific article explains the positive effects paternity leave had on a father within a middle class family. One should not forget, the importance of this issue is mainly focussed on the betterment of treatment of males who decide to take a paid leave. Their female counterparts also have a huge impact, but maternity leave has already established itself as a true necessity within most businesses or corporations. Fathers often struggle with the pressure and unaccepting emotions that can sometime surround them when taking a paid leave. I believe that the issues with the allowance and acceptance of males to take time off from work are rightfully being addressed and are making an impact in the betterment of American lives.
    I believe these many sources prove to be a testament to the importance and necessity of paid paternity and family leave. The uninformed public is acquiring some much needed information and are becoming more aware of this rising debate among our national politics. This growing topic has proven to be a critical discussion when researching this year’s presidential election. This will be an ongoing issue, no matter what side or argument you stand for and what previous political views you may have. I agree with the views concentrating on the introduction of new paternal leave policies and I am interested to see what the future holds regarding this very important and controversial topic.

2. JenNicole

JenNicole New Member

I agree. Although now more relevant with the presidential election, paternal/family leave has been an issue since women hit the work force. Today, the mother typically will be on maternity leave for a few short months (often unpaid), while the father may be given a day or two to help with the laboring process. To me it seems that while mothers do have these first months with their children, the babies are still not getting the time they need to build a stable, loving relationship with their mothers, let alone fathers if they are in the picture. Hillary Clinton says, "Too many moms have to go back to work just days after their babies are born. ... And too many dads and parents of adopted children don't get any paid leave at all. Neither do sons and daughters struggling to take care of their aging parents. None of this is fair two families." I completely agree with her on this issue. Time with family is a very precious thing, especially in the first years of someone’s life. This is time that we can never get back. No mother should ever have to choose between work and her child. No one will ever be as precious, as harmless, or as innocent, as they in their first years. In my opinion, most jobs could even be considered trivial in comparison to these priceless moments.
    One counterpoint that many seem to argue is that this can’t be good for the economy. In her Newsweek article, “The Argument Against Paid Paternity Leave”, Nita Dehi argues that paid family leave will make companies less likely to hire women and lead women to quit the workforce all together to become stay-at-home moms. When in reality, companies may be even more likely to hire women. If a short paid family leave is mandatory and both parents are there to help each other, then they may both be able to return to work sooner once everything is figured out at home. After all, the responsibility of a child shouldn’t be pinned on just one parent. This would create both a better workplace environment, and a better home life for employees.
    Of course, we don’t live in a perfect world and there are some companies that may not be able to afford these types of benefits for their employees, but if a small leave is required for everyone by law, then a small reasonable donation will pay off for that company in the long run and it may even get them back on their feet. In the end, we all go through life with regrets, remorse, and unfulfilled dreams and wishes, but what if we could reduce a few of the most important ones? We all only get so many trips around the sun, and our younger family members only get so many with us, so why not spend every moment we can with them? Although money is a necessity, it shouldn’t be our main priority. If a family is well off enough to enjoy each other’s company, why should a parent work instead of know their children? Life is too precious to waste away working.

3. JenNicole

JenNicole New Member

With Donald Trump being the new president-elect, I am hoping that he agrees with Hillary Clinton on this topic. It is well known that Mr.Trump has a plan for paid maternity leave, but what about for fathers? Sadly, a large portion of the presidential debates focused less on issues, and more on scandals thus, causing the American people to be less informed. However, now that we know who our future president is, I anticipate Trump coming out with more plans very soon that hopefully include family leave.

4. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Saudi Arabia just announced 10 weeks paid maternity leave and day care on site for women employees.

5. kd_909

kd_909 New Member

I believe that the United States should work towards adapting a similar policy. Not only does the new Saudi Arabian policy help mothers by giving them 10 weeks of paid leave, but it gives the fathers up to 5 days off with pay depending on the circumstances. If this policy or one similar was to be implemented in the United States, families throughout the nation would greatly benefit from the change.

6. JenNicole

JenNicole New Member

I agree with kd_909. Although it may not be easy to compose and carry out, a policy such as this one could really help families get the jump start they need with their new children. It could also help other employees get more hours in the workplace if need be.

7. graham_william

I definitely agree with kd_909 and JenNicole when it comes to the idea of adopting a similar policy to that of Saudi Arabia. I truly believe an improved paternity leave plan could benefit families across the country and introduce this growing idea to most of the general public within the United States. Overall, I would see this as a huge step in the right direction for American families.

8. graham_william

I agree with JenNicole on the potential and upcoming ideas of president-elect, Donald Trump. I believe following a similar plan to Hillary Clinton's would prove to be a very wise and thought-out decision that would make many American families extremely happy. I also look forward to the upcoming president releasing some of his plans to help America's future. I can only hope that these plans include ideas on paid paternity leave.

9. wattsss

wattsss New Member

I also agree with kd_909 that the United States should work toward adapting a similar policy to the Saudi Arabian one described by Margot2. This issue was not commonly discussed in the recent election which I find very disappointing. Although it may not seem like a large priority to most, I believe it could greatly improve American lives. A worker is much more likely to be productive after returning from leave, rather than having a lot of stress and worrying that would result in less proficient work. Family Leave is a great job security and needs to be looked at for improvement more often.

10. wattsss

wattsss New Member

I too hope President Trump will release greater plans for the Paternal Leave issue. Now that trump seems to be going back on some of his policies such as parts of Obama Care, I hope he heads in the same direction as Hillary. Hillary's plan for 12 week paid leave is claimed not to add additional cost on business which I believe is the most common argument.

11. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

All three of them? How generous.

If the government wants paid paternity leave, then the government should pay for it. Same for maternity leave. Same for My Dog is Dying Leave.

12. graham_william

I also agree with kd_909 and JenNicole in that this new plan form Saudi Arabia could be a very affective implication to American government. I feel that this would help families immensely when dealing with the potentially dawning aspect of paid paternal leave. This would positively change the present system in order to better our approach on this topic.

13. graham_william

I also agree with kd_909 and JenNicole in the importance and positive affects implementing this reimagined idea from Saudi Arabia would have on the United States government. This addition could immensely improve the paid paternal leave system and potentially introduce it to some individuals for the very first time. Overall, I believe this could change the lives of many families in a positive way within America.

14. kd_909

kd_909 New Member

This change in Saudi Arabia's family leave policy may help Americans with their own problem of creating a nationwide family leave policy. Government regulation on the family leave policy would definitely be the easiest way to ensure that all Americans are granted those rights, as companies no longer have to create their individual policies. Also, having the government pay for this leave does seem fair if they are to be regulating it. I wonder how many Americans would change their minds on supporting a nationwide family leave policy if taxes were to be increased because of the change.