Why the current family leave policy should be revised

Discussion in 'Civil Rights' started by kd_909, Nov 8, 2016.

1. kd_909

kd_909 New Member

The policy of family leave is an issue that affects families throughout the United States. With this being said, politicians should began to consider changing this policy. I know that in Hillary Clinton’s plan for presidency, she has created a specific section that changes the policy of family leave. In her plan for the changes on family leave, she includes the guarantee of twelve weeks of paid family leave, and during that time at least two-thirds of your current salary is guaranteed. Also, she plans to pay for this new policy with taxes from the wealthy, so working Americans are not given an increase on taxes, as well as small businesses who will not be hurt by the change (Paid Family and Medical Leave). The policy on paid family leave is one that deserves major change by politicians, as it affects families all throughout the United States. In essence, nationwide paid family leave should be implemented as it would greatly benefit American families.

Family leave has became more of an issue in recent times, and it is one that should receive recognition because it directly affects working class Americans. I believe a change in the paid family leave policy would benefit American families extraordinary. A benefit to the revision of the policy of family can be seen in Steven K. Wisensale book titled Family Leave Policy : The Political Economy Of Work And Family In America. In this book, Wisensale explains that as American families are changing, so are other matters involving families such as the family leave policy. The policy plays an important role on all members of the family, especially mothers but in recent times the father has also taken advantage of this policy (Wisensale). This used to be very uncommon, but times are changing so the policy on family leave should be changed as well.

Family leave does have some negative aspects to it, which is somewhat explained in these next two articles. In Scott Coltrane’s article titled “The Risky Business of Parental Leave” located on The Atlantic's webpage, he states that the amount of money earned by those who take a parental leave is decreased in the long run (Coltrane). If the family leave policy is revised, then this may not be the case as those who take a family leave will not have their earnings depressed. Also, in Nita Ghei’s article titled “The Argument Against Paid Family Leave” on the Newsweek webpage, she believes that paid family leave is hurting the cause to get women in into the workforce (Ghei). I disagree with her, as I believe that if women are able to take a paid family leave, then they will be more likely to work.

In conclusion, a nationwide policy of paid family leave should be implemented into the United States. Also, the policy on family leave is an issue that should be seriously considered by politicians in the nearby future. The current policy on family leave is one that needs revision in order to effectively help American families. If a nationwide family leave policy is implemented, then I believe that American families would be able to benefit greatly from this change as it would give parents the freedom to take off work in order to care for their children, all while still being paid for it. This change would help shape the future of the United States for the better.