College football

Discussion in 'Sports' started by BrianBoo, Nov 12, 2016.

1. BrianBoo

BrianBoo Active Member

Time to ratchet up the college football talk.

Final 4 discussion?

Alabama.....IN

Michigan vs Ohio State winner in 2 weeks.....IN

ACC?.....Clemson if they run the table. Louisville still has a shot.

Big 12 or Pac 12.....Washington in the driver's seat

Any other dark horses?

On a side note. I loved the college football talk in past years with my fellow OSU fan kronikope and Alabama fan milorafferty. Unfortunately, the moderators here decided to ban milo which is ridiculous. I understand the need for moderation, but this site goes overboard. In fact, I'm sure I'll get smacked down by one of the Nazi mods here for even posting this sentiment. So much for free speech.:wall:

2. sec

sec Well-Known Member

sec (me) has started more college football threads than anyone over the past years. I don't know where you've been???

With respect to what other 3 teams make the playoffs, does it matter?

Roll Tide

For the sake of good matches, I hope the committee doesn't consider Washington. I'd rather see Oklahoma (if they win out) along with the Big 10 and ACC champ

Heck, there's a good chance that WA might not even make it to the Rose Bowl

3. BrianBoo

BrianBoo Active Member

My apologies if I duplicated any of your threads.....it wasn't intentional.:hmm:

As to your comments, it appears that this year above all others, you may be spot on. Seems there's no competition this year for Alabama.

Plus, Clemson, Michigan, and Washington all went down Saturday to inferior competition.

I'm an OSU fan and my heart would like to believe the Buckeyes could compete with 'Bama this year, but OSU is just too young this year. Back to back 62-3 wins masks their youth, inexperience, etc. They not only lost to Penn State but luckily escaped an OT game with Wisconsin and a narrow 4 point win vs Northwestern earlier this season.

I'm hoping we still beat Michigan and make the Final 4 but don't believe we're in the same league with 'Bama THIS YEAR. Next year will be our year!

4. sec

sec Well-Known Member

I'll take an Urban vs Nick game any day of the week for the championship. It's like 2 chess masters going at it.

If it gets to OSU vs Bama this time, that will be a real championship game!!!

I was never a fan of OSU during the tenure of "the sweater" because it was old-boys in the NCAA propping up OSU with their cupcake schedule.

5. BrianBoo

BrianBoo Active Member

Don't be mistaken. OSU still regularly has a cupcake non-conference schedule. They'll schedule one (1) name game....this year was Oklahoma. But then schedule 3-4 non-conference patsies. That hasn't changed under Meyer, nor do I see it changing anytime in the near future.

The only things that have aided OSU's strength of schedule in recent years has been the return (somewhat) of Michigan and Penn State to being strong programs again, as well as a conference championship game. That makes for 2-3 challenging games they previously hadn't had the previous decade under Tressel.

I'm actually not a fan of Meyer. I think he's an arrogant you know what. He's an ultra strong recruiter, but not that great of an in-game coach. Similar to John Calipari on the bball side.

6. sec

sec Well-Known Member

helloooooooo ????

and that's why you have assistants and neeed to hire good assistants

7. BrianBoo

BrianBoo Active Member

Not sure what's with your love affair with Urban. He's not all that, despite the media hype.

The exact same issues you had with OSU under Tressel hold true under Meyer.

And his shortcomings as an in-game manager have cost us. It cost us the MSU loss which kept the Buckeyes out of the playoffs last year. Cost us the Penn State game this year and we're lucky his gaffes didn't cost us the Wisconsin game this year as well.

OSU rolls on talent alone. But in close games, I'm not betting money on the Buckeyes. That's a reflection on the coaching.

8. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

It's possible we could see Penn State in the discussion with 2 losses

9. sec

sec Well-Known Member

anything is better than a weak PAC 12 team

10. sec

sec Well-Known Member

His body of work

First, you'd be hard pressed to compare any program with Bama

next, compare other programs to OSU. Look at how quickly Meyer brought home a championship and the program resides within the top 10 each year.

The results speak for themselves.

11. BrianBoo

BrianBoo Active Member

You're correct. The results speak for themselves. But the same results and same criticisms can be said comparing the Tressel era with the Meyer era. Both won one national title, several conference championships, and dominated Michigan. Both had cupcake schedules, per your criticisms.

Oh and you said Meyer turned the program around. From what? One down year as a result of overzealous NCAA slaps. Tressel conducted a much bigger turnaround from the state of the program that was mired in years of mediocrity under John Cooper.

12. sec

sec Well-Known Member

WOW did the refs blow the MI/OSU game. It won't change the results but MI should have won. Pass interference and favorable spots helped OSU.

So here we are

Bama will defeat the Gators in the SEC championship so the SEC champ will be ranked #1 as they should be

Do you send to the playoffs a team which does not go to the Big 10 championship? Should OSU go instead of Penn State should Penn State win?

Clemson is a lock

Do we really have to have Washington shoved down our throat? Why not OU given their body of work?

Soooooo, we'll probably see Dabo vs Urban and OSU will win

We'll see Bama vs (does it matter) and the Tide shall roll

IMO, the TV folks want OSU vs Bama as it makes great TV being Saban vs Meyer

Honestly, I'd like to see MI vs USC in the Rose Bowl as that would be a heck of a game. USC is playing some really good ball right now and given the refs from the MI game, I pity whoever their bowl opponent is as that team will be relentless as they have something to prove.

13. mbk734

mbk734 Well-Known Member

As Trump would say it is rigged. It's even worse in the pros. Two of the refs were Ohio State natives/fans. I only hope refs are eliminated by computers in the future. In a close game the refs can be the deciding factor unfortunately. I was pleasantly surprised with Michigan's turnaround so far under Harbaugh. Hoke couldn't coach but he was a decent recruiter. Harbaugh has an electric personality (sometimes shocking, a bit like the Donald) and has a proven track record in the pros.
    My wild guess is:
    1. Bama
    2. Clemson
    3. Ohio
    4. Washington