Going to be hard to stop the Train.

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Small Town Guy, Nov 29, 2016.

1. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member Past Donor

http://tribunist.com/news/americans...friday-to-arm-the-marine-corps/?utm_source=MA
    It appears the tidal wave has come and the elitists who think they know what's best for everyday citizens are being swamped by the floodwaters.

I believe it's gonna be hard to stop this tsunami. What do you think?

DoctorWho likes this.
  2. OrlandoChuck

OrlandoChuck Well-Known Member

3. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member Past Donor

You know what's cool, it's only going to get better.

4. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Well-Known Member

As more People have Concealed Carry permits and realize their safety and lives of Loved ones depends on their abilities to defend themselves, and not the Police, another Myth is tossed into the Rubbish bin, that People are in favor of more Gun Control.

5. Xenamnes

Xenamnes Banned

More than one sixth of a million firearms purchased in a twenty four hour period. None of which takes into consideration how many purchases were made by individuals holding concealed carry permits, who did not have to undergo background checks for the purchase.

6. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

We will have to wait until February 2017 to see if America has settled down from the mass rioting that WILL in fact take place in so many Lib-Com cities and college campuses beginning on Jan 20th.

Assuming the Lib-Com's rioting ends by that time, then gun and ammo sales will likely drop about 25% and the gun industry will come on hard times.

7. OrlandoChuck

I have trouble believing that the gun industry will fall upon hard times next year. You are assuming that the gun industry is being propped up out of fear.
    What I have witnessed is an increased enthusiasm for shooting firearms. Weather it be shooting sports, or target plinking just for fun. People are flocking to gun ranges all over the country for the pure enjoyment of shooting. Women especially.

8. Hotdogr

Hotdogr Well-Known Member Past Donor

Sounds like a recipe for a buyers market, to me. :D

9. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

At least until another 20 or so school children are killed in a mass shooting or a mass killing at a movie theater. Then all bets will be off for a week or so until they are all buried.

10. Daniel Light

Daniel Light Well-Known Member

So are more people buying guns who never owned guns before or are gun owners just adding to their collection? It's fine to make a hypothesis, but
    without facts, we don't know if there is any kind of movement toward "more people buying guns ..."

And if more guns are being sold - wis it that people fear the higher crime rates that were present under the last Republican administration? Do they fear
    Trump will not have any control over the situation or that Trump is even a MORE devisive figure than Obama? Are minorities buying
    more guns because they fear the Trump Justice Dept. will put crimes against them on the back burner?

So many questions left unanswered by the OP.

11. OrlandoChuck

And which mass shootings would have been prevented if any of the recent proposed legislation had passed?

12. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

We need much much more than just the recent legislation....but it would be a starting place

13. Rucker61

Rucker61 Well-Known Member

A man in Cumbria with fully licensed and registered firearms - a 5 shot bolt action .22 rifle and a double barrel shotgun - killed 12 adults in a mass shooting.

There's not a single crazy proposal you've come up with that would have stopped that shooting.

DoctorWho and Turtledude like this.
  14. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

Sure there is. Lots of stuff could have been done to help prevent that. Of course you would have to provide every detail of what happened to discuss that particular incident

15. Rucker61

Why do you say "lots of stuff" when you know nothing about the incident? Remember, your new laws don't just need to prevent that particular incident, but every incident that could possible arise.

16. OrlandoChuck

I can answer this as a firearms instructor that networks with firearm instructors all over the country. Firearm instruction has been on a huge boom in the past several years. Each year surpassing the previous. Basic firearm safety classes are setting records. These are the classes that are taken by new firearm owners. The fastest growing demographic of these folks are women. I've actually had classes that were all women, and they did not even know each other. My concealed carry classes are booked a couple of months out. This is typical of the other instructors reports as well.

Advance classes are absolutely filled with experienced shooters that want to better their skills. The shooting sports are growing exponentially. In many cases, if you don't sign up to shoot a match within 24 hours of its announcement, you will be out of luck.

So the bottom line is that no one demographic is purchasing the new guns. They are men, women, new shooters, experienced shooters, young shooters, old shooters, minorities, non minorities, people that buy for self defense, people that do not buy for self defense, people that hunt, people that just like poking holes in tin cans and paper.

For the most part, they are not buying out of fear, they are enthusiastic about the enjoyment of shooting in general. In all my years as an instructor, I've never seen anything like it, and my fellow instructors are reporting the same experience.

I travel the country as a competitive shooter, and I attend trade shows to promote my sponsor, I talk to thousands of new and not so new gun owners each year and I have a pretty good handle on who is buying guns, who is getting instruction, and who is getting their carry licenses.

17. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Let's hope you're right.

18. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

Do we create laws to prevent every possible incident from happening....or just to reduce the odds of them happening?

19. Rucker61

Here's the list of mass shootings of the type you'd like to stop:

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/2012/12/mass-shootings-mother-jones-full-data

Some years had a single incident, so yes, in order to reduce that number you'd have to prevent every single opportunity.

20. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

There are far more mass shootings than that. A mass shooting involves more than two people. Most don't even make the papers

21. Iriemon

Iriemon Well-Known Member Past Donor

And conservatives kept telling us folks were buying guns because of Obama. Who wouldn't thunk it?

22. OrlandoChuck

When we restrict rights, we make sure they have a chance of being effective and enforceable.

23. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

Yes. Lets do that like they do in other countries

24. OrlandoChuck

By your definition, most mass shootings happen in ghetto drug wars by people that are not allowed to possess firearms. Your proposals arent going to keep guns out of the hands of determined gangs. These guys believe that it is dangerous for them not to possess a gun. Money talks.

I think when most people think of mass shootings, they picture innocent people being slaughtered by active shooter scenarios. All the recent active shooter situations were perpetrated by people that used guns that were bought legally. As long as guns are legal to own, you can't stop them.

- - - Updated - - -

What right in other countries compare to our second amendment?

25. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

The alternative is to do nothing which is unacceptable. Criminal justice reform is fine but alone it is not enough