Christian Artists Could Be Fined, Jailed for Refusing to Make Same-Sex Wedding Invita

Discussion in 'Other Off-Topic Chat' started by sec, Dec 4, 2016.

1. sec

sec Well-Known Member

Christian Artists Could Be Fined, Jailed for Refusing to Make Same-Sex Wedding Invitations

http://insider.foxnews.com/2016/12/...ed-refusing-make-same-sex-wedding-invitations

HYPERLINK has full story

snip

Two Arizona-based Christian artists face fines and the possibility of being jailed after they refused to make invitations for same-sex weddings.................

Following their refusal to create invitations for a gay wedding because of their religious beliefs, they are accused of violating an ordinance in the city of Phoenix that protects homosexuals from discrimination.

The city ordinance also prohibits Duka and Koski "from explaining to customers and the public why they could only create art consistent with their beliefs about marriage."

"We don't force artists to create artistic expression under threat of jail time," Waggoner argued.

end snip

OK, first let's get to facts

There is NO medical test to confirm the belief of "born homosexual". There is no test whatsover which prooves it as anything other than a chosen method of engaging in sex

OK, those are the facts despite the personal objections from those who live that lifestyle who need to believe otherwise

Now to the story

It is cases like this which need to make it to the new SCOTUS once common sense and the Constitution are resoted to the SCOTUS.

Clearly the city has over-reached first by forcing Christians to support the celebration of deviant sexual lifestyles and second, to jail those who speak publicly about the charges lodged by the city.

The last time that I checked this is still the U.S.A. however the constant assault upon the Constitution during this radical adminsitration is finally coming to a close.

2. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

`
    `

This is one of those supposed "fake news" stories. This is not to say that this issue has not been raised, it's the usual twist or spin being put on it by the predictable, evangelical conservative news outlets. In this case I googled "Joanna Duka and Breanna Koski" These two women are the plaintiffs (not defendants) in a lawsuit against the city of Phoenix, attempting to overturn Phoenix’s nondiscrimination ordinance. To wit;
    `
    "Even though they haven’t yet been asked by such a couple, they’re partnering with the Alliance Defending Freedom (ADF) to file a legal complaint in Arizona state"
    `
    This pre-enforcement challenge is based on the idea that if they refused to sell the same services to same-sex couples that they already sell to opposite-sex couples, they would be penalized under the law. And the law, they argue, infringes on their right to freely express their religious beliefs.
    `
    The lawsuit is known in legal circles as a “pre-enforcement challenge,” a lawsuit that allows citizens to challenge a law—in this case, a law that threatens First Amendment freedoms—before the government enforces it against them. Organizations such as the American Civil Liberties Union and Planned Parenthood routinely file such lawsuits against laws they oppose.
    `
    It's obvious that the OP's headline distorts the legal intentions of this lawsuit in order to sensationalize it. What the couple is doing is legal and at least from my perspective, will be a very interesting case to follow. However, unlike what the headline suggests, to lose this case (it is very likely to take years) the plaintiffs will not be going to jail, fined or be *persecuted*. ( * indicates the newest hot word for conservatives to use)

As with all fake or distorted news, it pays to check out the story using different news sources, before you pass judgement.

`

3. Cal-Pak

Cal-Pak Active Member

You obvioulsy don't know any gay people.
    Otherwise you would not be making that statement.

So does this mean that I don't have to make invitation for a mixed race couple? Because my religion says the races shouldn't mix?
    Or mixed religion couple?
    Or any other two people who have any differences?

4. therooster

therooster Banned

Boo hoo, I can't get my cake . I better make someone pay . Big time.

5. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

Create art the State agrees with or go to jail.

Now where have I heard this before...

6. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

They doing business if you do public business and refuse to do a service due to sexual orientation and there is an ordinance or regulation at the state level or lower to ban that then either do the art for a legal activity called marriage or quit doing art for people for pay make art to sell under your artistic free expression.

7. Habana

Habana Well-Known Member

Businesses need to learn how to not do business with people without being sued. It's not hard, just price the (*)(*)(*)(*) out of it or tell them you're to busy to take on the additional work. Another option is to take the work then outsource everything.

I've got an uncle who owns a roofing company, he refuses to do anything steep enough that it requires walk boards. Of course he doesn't tell people that he just proves those jobs so high only a fool would pay it.

8. PARTIZAN1

PARTIZAN1 Well-Known Member

Thank you for exposing another phony "news" story. Whichever side conservative or liberal or in between uses phony news stories will hopefully be exposed and when exposed will lose credibility. I say hopefully because I see that some people on both sends of the political spectrum will listen to whatever supports their beliefs already.

By your action of exposing this fraud of an OP you have done this forum a great service.

The person who posted the fecal matter has done his / her side a great disservice because he/she loses people like me who do not take extremes in most issues and who are willing to listen to both sides of the Gay rights argument but reject the wacky extremes from either side.

9. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

It seems the meat of whats reported is true.

People could be put in jail for not doing what the State says even if the act of doing so violates their religious beliefs.

It seems odd that such a belief wouldn't be respected when we know that the government forces businesses to reinstate employees that have been fired for refusing to their jobs when said jobs conflict with their religious beliefs.

Although in that example the beliefs were Islamic, so maybe that has something to do with the flip-flop.

10. PARTIZAN1

PARTIZAN1 Well-Known Member

No was ever put in jail for not believing that gays should be allowed to marry. A county clerk was put in jail for defying a court order and not doing her job. No one or government can force you to believe something religious. No one has been forced to believe something since we have adopted our Constitution.

During the so called Puritan times in New England we had laws that allowed the authorities to place someone in stocks or jail or beat them if they violated the Sabath. The people who forced these laws of belief unpopular others were the ones who came here as "Pilgrims" wanting the right to practice and believe in their religion freely. Of they would not allow others to practice or believe in their religion freely.

Has anyone in the last 200 years been jailed fir not keeping the Sabath?

11. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

Have gays themselves complained about the Christian artists, or is it just the City that's hassling them?

12. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

That's part of the odd dance I'm referring to.

Why is one person able to refuse to do their job on religious grounds and be protected, and another person unable to refuse on religious grounds less they be punished?

The only difference is that in one case the person was Muslim and in other the party was Christian.

It seems to be that a key factor of "equality" means having one set of rules for everybody.

13. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Neither. The law they're complaining about applies equally to everyone so nobody is being specifically hassled or targeted. They just want a special exemption to this law (and by extension, any other law they claim goes against their faith).

14. mdrobster

mdrobster Well-Known Member

I will say it again, grow up and make the cake.

15. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Where does the Bible say "Thou shalt not provide commercial services for gays."?

16. BillRM

BillRM Well-Known Member

This is what I had nickname lying for Jesus.

17. ellesdee

ellesdee Well-Known Member

What medical tests exist that prove you're a Christian? What proof do you have that it is anything more than your chosen method of engaging in fantasies?

By the way, it amuses me more than anything you could know, that over and over, you simply don't have to courage to address this point of mine.

18. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

`
    Yeah, like stealing in the name of the Lord or Killers for Christ.

19. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

Fact: Your argument has nothing to do with the OP.
    Thread Fail.

20. dairyair

Exactly what are does the state agree with? Give us the list.

21. dairyair

The name for those folks are trolls or hypocrites. Sometimes both. We will always have them.
    But if they don't get fed, they go away.
    But for entertainment purposes, they do sometimes get fed.

Everyone here who whines about gay marriage are adulterers in the eyes of their religion. Can't seem to stay married to their 1st spouse.

22. sec

sec Well-Known Member

The topic of the thread is an abusive local givt wishing to push an agenda that choosing gay-sex is akin to race

How would you like to be jailed for speaking your deeply held convictions about gay-sex?

What I find more revolting than the over-reach by the govt is the folks who support it because it serves their personal agenda.

- - - Updated - - -

look, your political leanings support govt imposed silencing of dissenters, I'm sorry that it might offend you but embrace it as you vote for it.

- - - Updated - - -

none of the details are incorrect; this is your Democrat party and gay agenda at work

23. cd8ed

cd8ed Well-Known Member Past Donor

So I take it you are for ending public accommodation laws? If they shouldn't have to serve gay people then gay people shouldn't have to serve them. Agree?

24. Ericb760

Ericb760 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I don't know why anyone would go in to the business of baking cakes if not to bake cakes for paying customers.

25. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

Its not about an itemized list, its about the State dictating what people are allowed to do with their own lives.