New Theory Suggests That Isaac Newton's Had Been Wrong All Along

Discussion in 'Science' started by wgabrie, Dec 5, 2016.

1. wgabrie

wgabrie Well-Known Member Donor

I've been waiting for a theory of gravity where gravity isn't a force. And now there is one. Separating gravity from the fundamental forces is an important step in figuring out the Universe.

I just hope this brings us one step closer to a Unified Field Theory (UTF). Then we can do anything and make all of our dreams come true.
    :icon_jawdrop:

New Theory Suggests That Isaac Newton's Had Been Wrong All Along
    http://www.universityherald.com/art...t-isaac-newtons-had-been-wrong-all-along.htm#!

waltky likes this.
  2. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

3. DivineComedy

DivineComedy Well-Known Member

They should have put him and Einstein in suspended animation, and woke them up for this, oh, wait, they were too early for that.

Bits of information? Is there any way to explain it for us dummies?

See around 50 minutes into this video, where he is discussing information:

“The End of Space and Time? - Professor Robbert Dijkgraaf”
    https://youtu.be/XDAJinQL2c0

“If anybody shall reprove me, and shall make it apparent unto me, that in any either opinion or action of mine I do err, I will most gladly retract. For it is the truth that I seek after, by which I am sure that never any man was hurt; and as sure, that he is hurt that continueth in any error, or ignorance whatsoever.” (MEDITATIONS By Marcus Aurelius)
    http://www.gutenberg.org/cache/epub/2680/pg2680.txt

4. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

"And if anyone objects enough to what I've said I will not only retract it, but gladly deny I ever said it in the first place," Mark Twain :wink:

This is all a simulation, a game some Pan Universal child is playing on his WII. I just wonder what will happen once he gets frustrated and resets us.

5. Wildjoker5

Wildjoker5 Well-Known Member

Maybe gravity is just a by product of the strong and weak forces interacting with each other?

6. wgabrie

I don't know about the bits of information. I did a quick search but didn't come up with anything. Now for all I know they are talking about hidden variables tucked away in space-time, but I'm not sure.

Time to call in an expert.

7. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

Just to digress slightly, magnetism is another fascinating force because a magnet sends out a "tractor beam" to grab metallic objects at a distance.
    Likewise, if two magnets are placed with their poles towards each other, the tractor beam becomes a "repulsion beam" that pushes them apart.
    What the heck is going on in the space around magnets, is it being bent or distorted or what?

8. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Well-Known Member

Erik Verlinde (2011) did not entirely discredit the law of universal gravitation. He suggested gravity arises as an entropic force and gravity is a consequence of the "information associated with the positions of material bodies", which is only an alternative explanation of gravity.

9. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

Space-time is funny stretchy, bendy stuff, for example I learnt something in a Stephen Hawking TV docu fairly recently that I didn't know before, namely that time runs slower for people standing near a massive object (he used the Great Pyramid as an example).

PS- has anybody here seen the film 'Interstellar"? It's one of the few sci-fi films that intelligently includes the effects of time dilation. For example, some crew members shuttle down from their orbiting ship to explore a planet (below), and when they get back a few hours later they find that a crew member who stayed behind on the ship has aged 28 years.

[​IMG]

10. DivineComedy

An expert would be nice, or just someone who gets it.

In one video on YouTube it seemed to me he was suggesting that the information bits were on the event horizon and not the core of a black hole.

From a hard science fiction point of view, it would be nice if we could manipulate gravity, but this does not seem to allow for any plausible explanation, like the Minbari vs early Earth ships in Babylon 5, they had artificial gravity of an unexplained origin and we spun a section of the ship.

If ThirdTerm post #8, “gravity is a consequence of the ‘information associated with the positions of material bodies,’" we might assume there would be no other bodies at the beginning of the universe exterior to that singularity before the Big Bang. So does that in beginning have no gravity? Is the gravity simply in the event horizon? When I think of thermodynamics, I think of stuff moving. If the information bits (not knowing what that is exactly) were on the event horizon only, I would assume something would have to be moving.

In an open black hole universe there would be lots of them still around, still somehow with “information” associated with the positions. It seems overwhelming.

In a closed universe, it does not seem like anything would be able to escape the Big Crunch, and we have no idea how many crunches have happened.

What the “information” is and what form it takes seems important.

Even if someone just wanted to come up with some decent science fiction, or have some idea of what is plausible to end that distraction of, “they can’t do that”; maybe there is a new book somewhere...

11. DivineComedy

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Man_of_Two_Worlds

I think I will go with Twain, when the moderator erases the flame bait.

12. wgabrie

I'm linking to an article in the past, from 2011. It seems I posted on this theory without hearing the other side of the story, that being that the physical evidence supports the idea that gravity is a fundamental force.

Gravity's not a fundamental force but then if the evidence says gravity isn't emergent then something has gone wrong either with the measurement or the theory.
    Experiments Show Gravity Is Not an Emergent Phenomenon
    https://www.technologyreview.com/s/425220/experiments-show-gravity-is-not-an-emergent-phenomenon/

13. Moi621

Moi621 Well-Known Member Past Donor

My vote is for graviton and a conundrum similar to photons, particle or wave.

I also favor Gravity Drive space ship able to harness and focus the influence of gravity around the ship.
    Even to reflect Earth's gravity against against the Earth to propel the ship off the surface,
    magnify the effect of gravity on the ship and across the solar system to its' destination.
    But, first y'gotta get gravity right to work a Gravity Drive system.
    Got gravitons?​

Moi :oldman:

r > g

View attachment 47062
    :flagcanada: got a free ride in the Cold War
    Across an immense, unguarded, ethereal border, Canadians, cool and unsympathetic,
    regard our America with envious eyes and slowly and surely draw their plans against us.

14. wgabrie

Got gravitons? I don't know about that Moi. It seems the graviton was invented as a convenience mechanism to calculate gravity.

The Edge of Physics: Do Gravitons Really Exist?
    https://futurism.com/the-edge-of-physics-do-gravitons-really-exist/

15. Moi621

Moi621 Well-Known Member Past Donor

You may as well ask if Gravity Waves exist, until a year or two ago.
    Gravitons will be identified as surely as Mr. Higgs Boson. ​

Moi :oldman:

r > g

View attachment 47065
    Does Santa Claus visit :flagcanada:?
    Across an immense, unguarded, ethereal border, Canadians, cool and unsympathetic,
    regard our America with envious eyes and slowly and surely draw their plans against us.

16. wgabrie

Gravity isn't a force, it's a warp of space-time expressed as a one-dimensional expression.

Look up inverse square law of gravity.