Meet the real Edward Snowden

Discussion in 'Civil Liberties' started by Robert, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member Past Donor

I can waste your time yakking about what he says to Couric. But here is my take on the man.

He exposed wrong doing by Government. He did it for me and for you. Why put a man who worked for you into a prison?

After this interview, I think it better to clap General Clapper into a court on trial than to bring Snowdon to face a jury that as he says, he can't explain what he did nor why to them.

Do you want Snowden to go to jail?

https://www.yahoo.com/katiecouric/e...hopes-of-a-presidential-pardon-100117331.html

2. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

I would prefer if people supposedly doing "good" for me weren't helping my enemies in the process and relaying classified information. Call me old fashioned I guess.

3. Robert

You are in luck with Snowden then. See, he did not come close to what you don't like.

Giftedone likes this.
  4. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Well-Known Member

Snowden is a Traitor and guilty of High Treason and is worthy of the Death Penalty...

5. Giftedone

Giftedone Well-Known Member Past Donor

Snowden is a hero to the people. Only sheep who lack patriotism do not understand this.

TedintheShed likes this.
  6. Skruddgemire

Skruddgemire Well-Known Member

Because we will never fully understand the extent of the damage caused by the release of classified information. Yes he revealed a lot of naughty things the Government was doing, but how much of that information was helpful to less friendly nations? How much of that caused us to pull espionage assets from the field and caused us to have to start again? That...is the problem.

If Clapper has done wrong, then yes he should be brought up on charges. Snowdon also did something wrong. It may have been for good intentions...but he still committed a crime. If I sell drugs as a means to support my family, I'm still committing a felony.

Not really. I do however want to see him stand in court for his crimes. And if convicted, well I hope they weigh in all the evidence. If his release of information lead to the deaths of espionage assets (and I've heard it both ways that it has and that it has not) then that term of prison should be a lengthy one. If not...then a shorter term.

Either way he's in for a rough life as few places will trust him with sensitive information.

7. Robert

Hillary Clinton has not faced trial nor prison. Is she above the law?

Jarlaxle likes this.
  8. Robert

Legally you are correct. I guess I need to see Hillary behind bars to please me.

9. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

He did release classified information and for that he's a criminal.

He also exposed Obama's anti-American dictatorship.

10. Robert

I had problems with the Yahoo interview so post the entire interview as on youtube.

Points made by Snowdon.
    1. His release was designed to NOT harm the USA
    2. He believes he was responsible in how he did it and his motives pure.

Snowdon still lives in Russia despite the election of Trump. Trump so far as I know has not been asked about this by the media.

I invite any poster to give us all what they think Snowdon did that harmed the USA?

Russia could have used him as a pawn with Trump. Why have the Russians not used him?

Couric wasted far too much time before she got into the meat of what he did. I suggest you pick it up perhaps around the 15th minute. I watched all of it myself.

11. Robert

More on the Snowden matter from a Wikileaks Editor whom spent a few months with Snowden.

Also, Snowdon's American girlfriend chose in 2016 to move to Russia to be with Edward.

We may in the future call him a hero. But for now, a lot who have not fully checked his story call him a traitor.

But do they know what he actually released? I sense they do not. That they imagine he turned in things that harm us. But it seems he has not harmed us. But he harmed the ability of our government to hurt all of us.

Jarlaxle likes this.
  12. Skruddgemire

Skruddgemire Well-Known Member

We're talking about Snowdon. Hilary is a totally different discussion.

13. DoctorWho

DoctorWho Well-Known Member

You can believe anything you wish, Peter Pan, Santa Clause and the Lochness Monster,
    That does not change a thing.
    Snowden is a Traitorous Infidel Dog.

14. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

Snowden committed espionage, and if he comes back to the US he should be arrested and tried.

I admit, I'm amazed how many on the right have bought his act. The left, I get because they hate America and support anything that weakens it, but why are people on the right so gullible as to fall for this?

15. Giftedone

Exposing the crimes within our Gov't strengthens America. These criminal actions by our Gov't seek to abridge liberty, rights and freedoms and turn this nation into a quazi totalitarian Big Brother Police state. Snowden is a true Patriot for outing the crimes of our Gov't.

He risked his own liberty to fight for these freedoms. When have you risked anything in an effort to fight the forces at work trying to take away our liberty ?

16. Lil Mike

What have I done...let's see...well based on the tenor of your comment, I'm going to guess that 23 years of military service wouldn't count for you as "risked anything in an effort to fight the forces at work trying to take away our liberty." In fact, it might imply the opposite.

But that's neither here nor there. Which crime are you referring to?

17. Giftedone

The US military does engage in some activities that could be viewed as fighting for the freedom of US citizens. Such examples however are few and far between. In general US foreign policy is conducted on the basis of furthering the economic goals of the "Establishment" international financiers.

In the case of Snowden, he revealed how the NSA was violating the espionage act. The head of the NSA lied to congress about this organizations violation of the espionage act a felony. Not only did this fellow not get punished, he kept his job.

18. Lil Mike

Clapper did lie under oath to Congress, but that has nothing to do with espionage act. I would have thought he should have resigned or have been fired at the least for that, but nothing happened. You'll have to take that up with his then boss on that. In fact, it was Snowden who violated the espionage act.

19. Giftedone

Why would I take something up with his boss ... do you think I have the power of a special prosecutor or something ? Strange comment.

I did not say clapper's lying under oath violated the espionage act. What he was lying about were the NSA's violations of the espionage act.

Snowden is a hero and a true patriot.

20. Robert

You run the entire forum?

21. kazenatsu

kazenatsu Well-Known Member Past Donor

Question: Do you people believe there's a way he could have exposed wrongdoing without giving away information to the enemy?

Should someone always be charged when they release classified information they were entrusted with? And what about in those rare hypothetical situations where everyone should know what's going on? Could be some horrible abuse going on and no one will say anything because it's illegal for them to, and they fear a long prison sentence. So instead, the abuse will be kept secret.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017
  22. Lil Mike

Once Clapper's lie was outed, there wasn't a call for him to be fired. Very strange, but I don't know why you would be upset about Clapper lying now. Were you mad at the time?

How did the NSA violate the Espionage Act?

23. Giftedone

Spying on US citizens en masse.

24. Lil Mike

OK....I don't think you what the Espionage Act is. I was suspicious for several posts, but it's obvious you are out of your depth here. Thanks though.

25. kazenatsu

kazenatsu Well-Known Member Past Donor

Maybe I'm misunderstanding you. Are you saying that if he had only revealed spying on US citizens en masse that you would then not believe he should be charged with the Espionage Act?

Last edited: Oct 20, 2017