Carmichael coal mine - say no!!!!!

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by m2catter, Dec 5, 2016.

1. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

For Christ sake,
    we are among the biggest emitters on the planet, yet we want to earn as much as we can with dirty coal:

http://www.theage.com.au/comment/th...tal-and-economic-madness-20161204-gt3wyk.html

Please speak to all people you know and make them aware of our evil government's decision.....

My country is (*)(*)(*)(*)ing up this planet, and despite Paris, our lying government will continue to do just that....
    Regards

2. scarlet witch

scarlet witch Well-Known Member Past Donor

obviously the attendance of climate change conferences by government is all just for show. If China wants more coal, China will get more coal...as if Beijing isn't polluted enough

http://www.afr.com/news/world/asia/china-coal-imports-surge-as-local-mines-close-20161013-gs1i6v

3. slipperyfish

slipperyfish Well-Known Member

This is on my doorstep.

The Indian company Adani has a pretty bad track record when it comes to the environment. This all gets overlooked when desperation is involved.

I never considered myself a greenie as far as politics are concerned but I am proudly an environmentalist, and this is something we all should be for the sake of existence itself. Look I am no expert on climate change, whether it is or whether it isn't, I do not really get into that euphoric sledging match. BUT there is no doubt in my mind that humans are destroying the environment in which they exist. No doubt in my mind that the world would be a far richer place without human existence. AND absolutely no doubt in my mind that if we do not wake up to ourselves and revolving our lives around profit and loss we will eventually cease to exist.

Now I am not advocating ditching our clothes and all becoming vegan tree huggers, but we must find an equilibrium or face the inevitable.

The ordinary man will benefit little out of the Adani project apart from a small handful of jobs in the scheme of things. The regional communities that will be affected by this scar on our landscape will benefit little, other than a handful of service jobs as the project is expected to be fully FIFO out of other cities. So the asset that is the regionals by right of location will yield very little for the future of said communities. There is no winner here other than Adani, a handful of fat wallets, and the political career of the Queensland Premier. It is a case of selling out to the devil.

I of all people know how desperate our region and it's people are for some positive news. This looks like a bag of lollies, but in fact it is a packet of sh!t. I have been a vocal opponent of this project for years now, as it has no benefit for my area or my people. Sellout Politicians with ears and eyes full of dung the colour of money have collectively sold us up that well known creek.

It has become apparent to me that Australia is now at a crossroads, and a clear decision is needed for future generations. We MUST choose! We must pick between cultivation or excavation. Agricultural expansion or Resource depletion. One is renewable and can last forever if managed correctly, the other is temporary. One can benefit the whole nation from poor to rich, the other will only ever benefit the smallest of percentages and only the rich will get richer, and the poor will be forgotten. Australians must choose between their selfish need for instant appeasement and the future of their children, grandchildren, and great grandchildren to come. Australians must choose between being the fools we are and being the fools we are not.

The Carmichael Project will no doubt go a long way in balancing the Premiers books, but the big losers will be the people and the environment.

Like I said, I am not a Green, but I am an environmentalist. Balance is everything!

4. LeftRightLeft

LeftRightLeft Well-Known Member

well said .....

5. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

Excellent post, well done....