What should white's do?

Discussion in 'Race Relations' started by RedDirtWalker, Dec 7, 2016.

1. RedDirtWalker

RedDirtWalker Well-Known Member

Not sure if this belongs in this catagory, so Mods moving it if needed.

This is a question specifically for minorities but more specifically Americans of dark skin (I'm choosing to take the Morgan Freeman route), not people that sympathize with minorities. I want people with experience to answer this one.

Let's say we could get a white leader that represented most whites and an American of dark skin that represented most minorities to sit down at a table for a talk on how to solve the issues of the day.

Let's also say that the white leader made this opening statement "White's have caused this problem and take full responsibility, what is needed to mend the people?".

So in the opinion of a minority person.....what is needed?

Money has been given hand over fist so that can't be it. (To people and to many communities)
    Laws have been past making racism illegal for 50ish years or more.
    Laws have been past making it supposedly easier for a minority to get a job, so that shouldn't be it.
    There are far more scholarships available to non-whites for college.
    Minorities go to the same public school system that most white's in the country attend so they should all be getting roughly equal education. (I know some schools in districts are better than others)

Thank you in advance for your help in answering this question.

2. Junkieturtle

Junkieturtle Well-Known Member Donor

Changes need to be made at the personal level more than anything else. Racism affects people in that way far more often than it does coming from some type of authority or administrative apparatus. I don't mean to downplay the effects of that institutionalized racism, but that kind of racism is also the easiest to deal with because you can make laws and policies that govern those institutions. Not so for personal interactions and the more subtle ways that human being communicate.

Racism will not stop being a problem until people themselves are no longer racist. I don't see the human species as being capable of that intellectual leap at this point in time.

3. Marcotic

Marcotic Well-Known Member

I'm 90% sure that this will be in one ear and out the other, but here goes.

Cite proof that money has been given out specifically to minorities please. If your talking welfare etc. That's not race specific. That's open to anyone who qualifies. How many minorities qualify for so called "farmers welfare"? It doesn't matter, all welfare programs are open to all races.
    http://www.redstate.com/diary/otter272/2013/06/05/time-to-end-farmers-welfare/
    In case you were implying it there has been no reparations.

What laws make racism illegal? Look to Richard Spencer and his ilk. Why are they free men? I support their right to be bigots, but to claim racism is illegal requires proof.

The laws on the books don't make it easier for minorities to get a job. They make it harder for people to discriminate for any race.
    The closest thing I could find are mandates that federal contractors /employees to perform step analysis for their hiring methodologies whenever finalist for a position don't accurately reflect the demographic from which they draw. It is currently illegal to hire someone based on race.
    https://www.higheredjobs.com/Articles/articleDisplay.cfm?ID=246

Please cite proof that there are more minority scholarships available. Even if that's the case, who gets them is also of some concern. In an interview conducted in 2011, a Mr. MARK KANTROWITZ (Publisher, Fastweb.com and Finaid.org) stated just the opposite. Minorities receive fewer scholarships approx. 30% of applicants that come away with scholarships are minorities. He sites largely completely benign reasons for this. http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=134623124

Acknowledging some districts are better than others after saying they receive about the same education is confusing. Worse districts are, by definition worse and not about the same.

Ultimately, if someone sat down asked "So in the opinion of a minority person.....what is needed?" and then listened to the response, I would expect they would likely get a list of valid concerns and suggestions for improvements.

If they did what you did above, they would lose all credibility and would be seen for what they are. Someone who offers a false ear in order to spout their unsupported talking points and in fact a large part of the problem.

I'll respond to the hypothetical person here.
    I can't represent minorities, and in fact the idea that one person, even a fictitious one, is a large part of the problem. Placing people of any one minority into one person is fallacious, placing all people of all minorities into one is more so.

I need to be judged on my own, as a person with unique experiences. I need to stop being the poster child for welfare programs that are available to all Americans. The welfare queen isn't black, latino or any specific race. She's a terrible person who should only be acknowledged after acknowledging the vast majority of people who use government safety nets do so as little as possible and then move on to lead productive lives. When targeting her, you must do so with discrimination that those who use the system as intended don't get hit in the crossfire.

When I bring up the reasons why I struggle don't take them as excuses but just reasons. Challenges that, with time I or my children will overcome.
    If they have to do with racial inequities of the past don't deny its impact on my life out of hand, don't feel angry at me for pointing it out, and most of all unless you are responsible don't feel guilty. I hate it when people feel guilty for things they couldn't have impacted.
    Instead I ask that you share my disgust for those, of any color, who willfully benefited from denying other peoples inalienable rights and join me in staying vigilant and resolute in ensuring that our country doesn't allow those conditions again.

Don't put me in the camp of the guilty liberal or the angry black man. Don't call me a race hustler or a guilt tripper. Don't use the fact that I mentioned race as an excuse not to listen to what was said.

This really goes for everyone - Don't use the source as an excuse not to listen to what was said, and if you disagree articulate why and find sources that back your disagreement (as I have done here). Most of all don't confuse your opinion with a verifiable fact!

For what its worth I am a black guy of mixed lineage (African/ European), grew up in a rural town, though I live in the city I want to get back to the country eventually.

Wildjoker5 likes this.
  4. Wildjoker5

Wildjoker5 Well-Known Member

Bravo. This sums up what I was going to say for the white side of the table.

5. juanvaldez

juanvaldez Banned

Interestingly, dark skinned Indians (from India) don't seem to have a problem with racism. Same for Asians for the most part.

6. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

I think sitting down with preconditions is ridiculous.

7. Wildjoker5

Wildjoker5 Well-Known Member

I think its ridiculous to expect anything from whites of today for what happened 50-200 years ago. Its been proven time and time again that in todays America, the biggest factor holding anyone back is yourself.

8. RedDirtWalker

I was not attempting to site preconditions I was simply trying to point out what is commonly shown as support for minorities not being disadvantaged.

So if you are a minority please re-post with your answers to what would be required.

9. RedDirtWalker

I don't feel like racism will ever go away until the human race goes away. Through thousands of years people have discriminated based upon one thing or another. If it's a difference in skin color it was race, if they all were the same skin color it was tribe, religion, or something else.

I also think it natural in people or we wouldn't have "communities" of Asians, Blacks, Polish, Middle Eastern.......pick a region. They could live anywhere in a city, but many chose the same area.

10. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Well-Known Member

The racial problems have been resolved since the 1960s with a series of civil rights laws and legally we are all equal. There is nothing else to be fixed and the current generation does not carry the burden of apologising for its predecessors (i.e. reparations). The only problem left is the likes of Richard Spencer who are trying to turn the clock back to the 1950s.

11. Oxymoron

Oxymoron Well-Known Member

I am not a minority, I am saying to solve anything to the mutual satisfaction of both sides, preconditions cannot be part of the equation.

12. RedDirtWalker

Ok, I saved you for last cause it will take longer.

Why does it need to be specifically for minorities? A program that was meant to help people when they lost their jobs and are in need until they get back on their feet helps. Yes it helps all, so why does that matter. Are you implying that above average help is needed for minorities?

The Richard issue is dealing with the 1st Amendment to free speech, which I am all in favor of unless he screams fire in a movie theater. As far as laws go there are many Hate Crime laws on the books both state and federal for cases of racism. Obviously you can't law racism out of people, but you can make actions punishable.

I don't intend to be argumentative, but isn't this "They make it harder for people to discriminate for any race." the same as this "don't make it easier for minorities to get a job." If it's harder to discriminate isn't it easier to get a job?

Ok, so I agree this is a hard one to prove. As the site you linked indicates it's looking at the number of scholarships RECEIVED, and I'm talking available. There can be a multitude of reasons they are no received, and I was unable to find available online. I even tried going to a few colleges websites to see what was available, but they required a login and such. Since it would make sense that the group that has the highest population would get the most scholarships, there is nothing worth talking about here and I'll concede your point.

I guess my overriding point here is that public education is available to everyone.

That's what I'm wanting here.

What I attempted to do was squelch those reasoning's that always seem to come up ahead of time. Like you did here though I would hope the person would try and educate the individual so the process could continue forward. Thank you for this.

I was simply trying to take as absolute best case scenario of only 2 people since a building full of representatives for both sides would get nowhere.

Agreed, but isn't this partially being propagated by some figures within the minorities themselves?

I agree with this, but how does this occur? I don't really see many national white figures propagating against this mentality, and I mean big well respected figures, not people like Richard Spencer.

For what it's worth, thank you for having an intelligent and thought provoking discourse about a very polarizing topic in this country.

13. crank

crank Well-Known Member

I'd say to whitey "stop trying to 'protect' us, it feels like slavery to your ego and guilt, and doesn't respect our capabilities".

- - - Updated - - -

Super important point in any discussion of racism in America.

14. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

Well, I am not American but I am minority in my country (second generation immigrant) and the only thing that can help minorities is themselves.

Just like with Blacks and ***** in Murica, Wogs (kids of immigrants) in Sweden - very often - have sh*t attitudes and act like complete scum. It does not get better by politicians and media constantly collectivising and lumping them together as "oppressed minorities" who are "victims of institutional racism" and whatnot. Each and every one of them should instead of feeling sorry for themselves take their responsibility as individuals and get their shayte together!

In The West everyone is given the exact same oppurtunities in life. Anyone can succeed!

No one owes anyone anytjing.