Did Jesus believe he was God....

Discussion in 'Religion & Philosophy' started by Max Overlord, Dec 7, 2016.

1. Max Overlord

Max Overlord Member

or is this a man invented idea?

2. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

IMO.. Jesus was a holy man and a teacher.. He said he was a son of God, not the only son of God.

So it may be that his successors or disciples tweaked the story to include supernatural events.. and to fulfill the prophesy of an anointed messiah as much as possible.

Its not really an issue for me.

- - - Updated - - -

IMO.. Jesus was a holy man and a teacher.. He said he was a son of God, not the only son of God.

So it may be that his successors or disciples tweaked the story to include supernatural events.. and to fulfill the prophesy of an anointed messiah as much as possible.

Its not really an issue for me.

3. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

If Jesus was God I'm Mary Poppins..;)
    He said many times that he was the SON of God, yet amazingly some christians still say he WAS God, sheesh!

Jesus said-
    "I am going to the Father, for my Father is greater than I" (John 14:28 )
    "Why do you call me good? No one is good except God alone" (Luke 18:19)
    "Only God knows when Judgment Day will be, I don't know myself" (Mark 13:32)
    "I say nothing of my own accord, i only say what my father tells me to say.." (John 12:49)
    "My teaching is not my own. It comes from him who sent me" (John 7:17)
    "Father, into your hands I commit my spirit." (Luke 23:46)
    High Priest asks - "Are you the Son of God?" and Jesus replies - "I am" (Mark 14:61)
    God himself said - "This is my beloved son, listen to him" (Matt 17:5)
    And of course Jesus regularly prayed to God, yet if he was God why would he pray to himself?

DennisTate likes this.
  4. BillRM

BillRM Well-Known Member

Given that we do not know for sure if anyone name Jesus, during that time period, existence and did preaching so it kind of hard to address that question.

At least out of the content of the new testament who given such stories in the testament as the raising of the decaying dead it is kind of hard to judge if any of it had any element of truth.

5. crank

crank Well-Known Member

You might want to let those millions of Christians (who claim Jesus was Yahweh) know.

6. The Wyrd of Gawd

The Wyrd of Gawd Well-Known Member

The Jesus character is portrayed as a psychopath. He was nutty. Since there are no real celestial gods he couldn't be the son of one.

7. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

I don't give a rat's ass what "millions of Christians" claim..:)

8. Max Overlord

Max Overlord Member

You made the same statement in a different thread I started and yet didn't give any examples. How about in this thread you do that? Give me examples of Jesus and his psychopathy.

Psychopathy: traditionally defined as a personality disorder characterized by persistent antisocial behavior, impaired empathy and remorse, and bold, disinhibited, egotistical traits.

9. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

John 14.8-9...

... pretty well confirms...

... that Jesus is God.

10. crank

crank Well-Known Member

Who is right? You, or those millions?

11. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

Jesus said he was NOT God.
    Some christians (I don't know if they number millions) say he WAS God.
    So who shall we believe, Jesus or them? It's a no-brainer..;)

12. Max Overlord

Max Overlord Member

There are billions of Christians, both Catholic and Protestant, who believe Jesus is God.

- - - Updated - - -

So your argument is to take Jesus at his word? Seems logical to me.

13. BillRM

BillRM Well-Known Member

How about the story of whipping the money changers out of the Temple for daring to provided the needed service of changing roman coins to those that the priests could accept to keep the Temple running?

Sound to me as a real nut at least if the story have any truth or logic to it as thoses who are handling large amount of gold should had have security in place that would had ran a sword through him for such craziness.

14. PARTIZAN1

PARTIZAN1 Well-Known Member

Christian doctrine says thatvhecwas the only son of the Big Guy. He never mentioned any brothers or sisters so poor JC had to have Ben an only child.

15. Max Overlord

Max Overlord Member

Your statement, "He said he was a son of God, not the only son of God", is not fully correct. Jesus is referred to as the Son of God and never simply a son of God. And there is no Scripture to support the idea that God had another son. If you can find me a verse that says differently, I'm all ears.

16. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

Like I said before, I don't give a rat's ass what organised religion believes or teaches!
    Jesus said:-"You have one teacher, me" (Matt 23:10), there ya go..:)

17. Max Overlord

Max Overlord Member

This is slightly tongue-in-cheek but...who do you go to for advice and help interpreting the bible?

18. PARTIZAN1

Thus is mire complicated than that. Catholicscand Eastern Orthodox believe in the Holy Trinity- Father , Son, and Holy Ghost. I never did get the Holy Ghost deal since the Holy Spirit guy never got much press in the Bikbe nor in Scriptures. When I was an inmate in a Catholic schools the Nuns had a bad habit of choking when challenged to explain the Holy Ghost guy. They choked the same way when we asked the goid Nums to explain immaculate conception.

19. PARTIZAN1

True it's not even noted in my favorite chapter Karpathians 22:21.

20. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

Sounds like you've fallen into the trap (like many others) of thinking the Bible is a big complicated thing mate!
    You needn't bother with the Old T at all except to glance at now and again out of interest.
    It's the New T you want, and to narrow it down further it's the gospels you want.
    Paul was spot on when he warned people-
    "I'm worried lest you be led astray from the simplicity of Christ" (2 Cor 11:3)
    Jesus is easy to understand-
    "And the common people heard him gladly" (Mark 12:37)
    And the disciples were just ordinary doods-
    "When they saw the courage of Peter and John and realized that they were unschooled, ordinary men, they were astonished and they took note that these men had been with Jesus" (Acts 4:13)

21. Max Overlord

Max Overlord Member

There is debate as to whether Jesus had brothers and sisters. I would suggest it's unreasonable to assume Mary and Joseph never procreated (And he did not know her until she gave birth to a Son; and he named him Jesus Matthew 1:25) "he" meaning Joseph and "she" Mary. Most of the debate is over these two....The Gospel of Mark 6:3 and the Gospel of Matthew 13:55-56 state that James, Joses (or Joseph), Judas, and Simon were the brothers of Jesus, the son of Mary.
    Some say that this is a different Mary than the mother of Jesus(Catholics for sure). Others argue what I did above that, why not? Joseph and Mary were human too. Its silly to think they never had a child. A Catholic would argue Mary was a virgin her whole life(not in the bible) right up to being taken to heaven(not in the bible).

Meh. Sidenote: "know" in bible speak means, sex.

22. Max Overlord

Max Overlord Member

Where on Earth does it say that Jesus "whipped" the money changers? "And making a whip of cords, he drove them all out of the temple, with the sheep and oxen. And he poured out the coins of the money-changers and overturned their tables." John 2:15

You take this as meaning he physically whipped people? Because it says nothing of the sort. Can you imagine a scenario where a whip could be made to drive people out without ever striking one of them? I'll be you can imagine it quite easily.

23. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

Which verse says that? In every verse I've seen, he says he's 'THE' son of God.

24. Max Overlord

Max Overlord Member

On the contrary. I completely agree with you. I believe the bible is knowable through reading it just like you do. I was poking fun at the people who don't think it's possible without someone telling them. My two main areas of focus are Mark and 1 Thessalonians, as they are our first Gospel and Epistle respectively...as dated by scholars.

25. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think you left out verses where he admitted to it.

Could it be that if god incarnates in a human body, he becomes the son? So when JC was teaching, this was actually coming from god, through a vessel of flesh? So god's spirit, its essence was the consciousness of Christ. As opposed to the human ego that would normally control the body.

This makes sense and is probably closer to the truth.