Why abortion is a good thing

Discussion in 'Abortion' started by see you next tuesday, Dec 9, 2016.

1. see you next tuesday

see you next tuesday Active Member

Apparently, there were around 950,000 abortions in america in 2014 so, for this thread, i'm going to round it up to 1 million.

Everybody keeps banging on about aborted babies being "murdered in the womb" etc and we regard these poor aborted babies like lost opportunities to raise perfect humans.

I see it a different way:

America (apparently) has 1% of its adult population in jail so that's 10,000 less adults in prison because of abortion.
    If babies hadn't been aborted 18, 20, 25 years ago, you could have 100,000's of more people in prison and that would mean having to build more expensive prisons.

At least one of the aborted babies would've grown up and gone on a shooting spree and not forgetting that a good chunk of those babies would've grown up to be liberals.

Abortion is keeping America safer.

2. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

The foetuses might not agree..;)
    When my unmarried mother became preggers with me 60 years ago it was a heinous social crime in those days.
    I strongly suspect my dad wanted to have me aborted but my mother said no, so they had a shotgun wedding.
    In those days many single women aborted to cover it up, and her family, friends and neighbours never really minded because it was "the done thing".
    But I might have minded..;)

kazenatsu likes this.
  3. LiveUninhibited

LiveUninhibited Well-Known Member

I am pro-abortion, but one could just as easily argue that we aborted the next einstein, or that our population would have increased and caused us to invest in agriculture and be more advanced. This sort of argument just isn't valid on either side.

Fetuses don't have minds, and so don't have feelings, let alone opinions.

4. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

In that case isn't it our moral duty to protect them as they can't protect themselves?
    The Bible seems to indicate human life starts in the womb, for example God said to Jeremiah-
    “Before I formed you in the womb I knew you,
    before you were born I set you apart;
    I appointed you as a prophet to the nations” (Jeremiah 1:5)

PS- food for thought:- my mother spent her last years living alone in a bungalow and I visited her every day.
    If she'd had me aborted she'd have had hardly anybody to visit her.
    When she collapsed on the floor in front of me aged 76 I got her to hospital but despite their best efforts she died 5 days later.
    If she'd had me aborted she'd still be lying there..;)

AlifQadr likes this.
  5. FoxHastings

FoxHastings Well-Known Member

Geez, not that old sob story again......your insistence that no one should have an abortion so they won't die alone is silly. Plenty of parents die alone and we ALL die.

It's hardly a reason to deny women their rights.

...and biblical stories, especially irrelevant ones, don't make laws or rights and have no bearing on them...as it should be.

6. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

You misunderstood me mate, I've got no beef with abortions if they're necessary to save the life of the mother, or if scans show the baby would be born severely mentally or physically handicapped.
    It's just the cheap throwaway abortions as a form of contraception that stick in my craw.

7. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

Then don't have any....but mind your own business

8. AnnaNoblesse

AnnaNoblesse New Member

If you read Freakonomics there's a chapter about how crime dropped dramatically 18-25 years after abortion became legal. The theory is unwanted children aren't raised as well as wanted children. When abortion became legal there were millions of unwanted children which were never born and so those unwanted aborted children were not alive to commit crimes. The theory caused a real stir and a lot of debate.

9. AnnaNoblesse

AnnaNoblesse New Member

For the record, since I'll be in these debates more often- I'm pro choice however I wish people wouldn't get abortions and I never would. I was raised Catholic and I'm not comfortable with abortion. However I can't tell another woman what she can or can't do with her body. I especially don't like the government telling a woman what she can or can not do.

Although I might make an exception for very late term pregnancies. At that point there's no question there is a baby in there because it can live if born premature.

10. Diablo

Diablo Well-Known Member

Would've been good for Mrs Hitler and Mrs Stalin....

But there might have been people just as bad.

11. FoxHastings

Well, women don't have late term abortions just for the fun of it and there is a law against it anyway( a fetus is considerable viable at 23-24 weeks).

Late term abortions are legally done to save the life/health of the woman, as it should be.

12. FoxHastings

OK, you're against affordable abortions. Why? Should only wealthy women be able to have them?

What's a "throwaway" abortion????

13. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

To clarify, when I said "cheap throwaway abortions" it had nothing to do with money, I used the word "cheap" to mean the slovenly practice of having an abortion as a form of "contraception" because she just doesn't want the inconvenience of having a baby.

AlifQadr likes this.
  14. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

Ah, but when foetuses are being needlessly killed, maybe we should all make it our business to protect them?..;)

15. FoxHastings

It's not a form of contraception , it's abortion.

"Slovenly" shows the Anti-Choicers denigration/dislike of women (which many deny).

Yes, it is sometimes, for some women, inconvenient to have a baby, that's the point of having an abortion.

Do you do everything in your life as INconveniently as possible?

- - - Updated - - -

They are not needlessly killed. A woman needs to stop a pregnancy with abortion.

You don't get to decide what her needs are.

16. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

We don't denigrate women who have abortions for very good reasons, but sadly many have them for no good reason at all.

17. AnnaNoblesse

AnnaNoblesse New Member

I agree!

18. FoxHastings

You did in that post.
    Please show proof that women who have abortions have no good reason at all and why YOU should dictate what a "good reason " is?

Sallyally likes this.
  19. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

It's pretty much self-evident mate, a woman who uses abortion as a form of contraception should go sit on the naughty step..:)

20. Vegas giants

Vegas giants Banned

Actually the person who judges her should

Sallyally likes this.
  21. Zeffy

Zeffy Well-Known Member Past Donor

How many times has your body faced the "inconvenience" of pregnancy?

22. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

If I was a preggers woman I'd never abort a healthy foetus, because I'd regard it as a "part of me" and I just couldn't do it, maybe I'm just too soppy and sentimental (snifle)

23. Zeffy

Zeffy Well-Known Member Past Donor

You didn't answer my question.

24. RandomObserver

RandomObserver Active Member

I would agree we have a moral duty to protect actual persons who cannot protect themselves, but the fetus is not yet a person.

The Bible suggests that God knew Jeremiah (as a human identity, or a soul) before he was formed in the womb. Does that mean every sperm has a human identity, or does that mean the soul had to exist someplace else in the metaphysical realm before a body was formed for it in the womb? It does not address the question of when the soul might be able to inhabit the physical body.

Furthermore, since God is omniscient it is no great surprise that God would know that Jeremiah's mother was not going to have a miscarriage or an abortion, and that Jeremiah would make choices (of his own free will) that would be compatible with his position as a prophet to the nations.

You are a good human being to take care of your mother, but are you saying you would not have taken care of her if you had been born 2 years later, after your parents had more time to create a stronger relationship?

25. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

If you mean this question- "How many times has your body faced the "inconvenience" of pregnancy?", the answer is "Never" because I'm male, the clue is in the name- 'Johnny Brady'..;)