Good done by Carbon Diooxide

Discussion in 'Health Care' started by Robert, Dec 10, 2016.

1. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member Past Donor

We are bombarded with terrible news concerning Carbon Dioxide. But the flip side is, can there be benefits to humans due to Carbon Dioxide?

Surprisingly so, yes, there are measured health benefits not only to humans, but to medicinal plants along with other "healthy" plants.

So with no further introduction, let's all look at this.

http://www.co2science.org/subject/h/summaries/healtheffectsco2.php

2. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

OMG!!! Are people still being suckered in by that faux website???

It is an astroturf site run by a known member of the "dirty dozen" climate change deniers - those known to have taken money, and significant amounts of it, to muddy the waters and sow doub..

Big salaries and funding from oil companies and right wing think tanks that are known filters for same

https://www.desmogblog.com/craig-idso

Besides that they are just plain WRONG

3. Robert

I studied Dr. Idso and his two sons. They are in that rare body of scientist whom were already experts on this prior to the "Left" creating a huge fuss by alarming the entire world.

So your smear did not work. For the so called left wingers, they always will allege nonbelievers get paid by oil firms. But the truth be known, there is more money for the believers than those who do not.

4. Bowerbird

Bull!!!

Do not confuse poor journalism with good science

It is well acknowledged and part of public record tha t they have taken money from vested interests.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Craig_D._Idso
    http://www.exxonsecrets.org/html/personfactsheet.php?id=15
    http://www.motherjones.com/environment/2009/12/dirty-dozen-climate-change-denial-11-idso-family

But the bottom lines. How can some bloke on the internet know more than tens of thousands of scientists working world wide?

Also,consider the cherry picked nature of his claims. He points to one or two plants that might do better in an enhanced co 2 environment but does not measure the effect of temperature change, decreased fallow periods, lack of water and other factors such as increase in fungi, bacteria and insects

5. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Well-Known Member

I get so tired of people trying to blow smoke up my ass. Do you really want a nutrient rich vegetable? Do you really want a increase in plant growth? Then ask the right questions. Nutrient rich crops come from nutrient rich soils. It is the life in the soils that feed plants, and not the air they breathe. It starts with the soil. Our very lives depend on six inches of topsoil and the fact it rains. The world is so disconnected from the soil they will swallow anything.

Bowerbird likes this.
  6. PARTIZAN1

PARTIZAN1 Well-Known Member

What a short sighted post. Look the human body and animals and plants need and use most of the elements you see in periodic element chart. We also need and utilize many many compounds. One is sodium chloride or basic salt. In fact sodium chloride is needed to firm electrotytes and it is important in regulatory roles fir the body. So should we consume a pound of salt a day because it is good for the body? Is that what you are saying about carbon dioxide if some is good a trillion galillion mega giga maxa tons if it better?

7. politicalcenter

8. Robert

Clearly you wanted the audience to accept those links as your smear of Dr. Ipso.

Why did it fail? All you show is the man is a true expert on Carbon Dioxide and it's effects on the planet and humans.

9. Robert

Some posters have clearly never really studied Carbon Dioxide.

What is the current level of the gas? It is alleged to be right about 400 ppm

Now, what amount harms humans?

You have to get to the range of about 15,000 ppm for it to impact adversely on your health.

I occupy a building with it's HVAC system half a$$ working. The owners installed a space heater over having the entire system working for each area. We have individual controls as one expects, but changing settings does nothing.

OK, that got me to checking this all out as to health.

I bought a Carbon Monoxide detector since that gas is very dangerous. This space heater meets government standards. The CO2 detector never moved off the zero mark. Expecting that natural gas burned surely emits carbon monoxide, I got a lesson.

It emits carbon dioxide. Well, who wants the 3 rooms here to get full of carbon dioxide. That worried me too. I checked how dangerous it is. Turns out it is not dangerous until about 15,000 ppm.

I am not now worried as some posters are over this rather beneficial gas. It is much heavier than air is so it sits nearest the floor. Sure, if you want to mix it up, walking around in it does some of that. But it is so much heavier than air is, it sinks again.

10. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

Uhh... The strength of an idea is how well it conforms to reality, not who puts it forward. Once you master this concept your mind will become more open, you will communicate more intelligently, you will have a spring in your step, a satisfied smile on your face and deep sense of well-being.

Ice Age Conditions, compared to Warm Earth Conditions are much more austere. In the presence of warmth and water, earth converts carbon dioxide to life. During Ice Ages, such as we labor under now, earth stores potential life as carbon dioxide. When warmer conditions come, with sufficient water, carbon dioxide is again converted to life.

The ancients gave credit to the farting Buffalo for keeping back the advancing glaciers, but the hundred million buffalo are now dead, but thankfully have been replaced by a hundred million head of cattle keeping us from carbon starvation. Some day this long long ice age will end and the earth in pure joy will bring forth life more abundantly that you can imagine, unless you study the fossil record, in which case you already know how life producing warmth water and high carbon dioxide levels are.

[​IMG]

11. Bowerbird

But but but What about the danger of DHMO!!!!! Dihydrogen Monoxide is the most dangerous substance on Earth and it is Everywhere!?!! The internetz told me so!!! If it is on the internetz I has to believe!!!

12. Bowerbird

No they show he has a vested interest. Would you trust a drug where the only research was done by the company and there was no independent review of the results?

The first thing any one with with tertiary (college) education learns about research is to look for potential biases held by the author. In the case of the Idsos they have been paid extremely well to provide research that disputes global warming

Actually if I were their backers I would be pissed because they are so blatantly bad at it

13. Bowerbird

Show me the paper that claims a direct detrimental physiological effect from the current levels of CO2. Otherwise you are building strawmwn.

Might as well be worried about DHMO

- - - Updated - - -

Misunderstood misremembered mistaken twaddle

14. Robert

Believe it or not, so far, there is no connection made to climate using carbon dioxide in the proof, rather non proof.

Actually, I goofed up in my earlier post over measuring CO2. I said CO2 detector but meant I used a CO detector looking for the deadly gas. Found nothing.

Climate went from a specialty study to a field where many today make handsome livings because they claim they are believers that man harms climate. It pays far more than Exxon might offer.

15. Bowerbird

Again proof please

By that I mean a researched proof that has been published in a peer reviewed paper

Actually I would be happy to even see some bad journalism showing that any scientists have made more than 11,000 month (what was paid to the Idsos by just one backer)

The paper trails showing the funding of people like the Idsos are clear because Exxon reversed its support of the anti climate change groups

16. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

Well actually there isn't a single life-form that isn't carbon based, and every one of those carbon molecules in life at one time (in fact several times) first existed as Carbon Dioxide. Earth's natural processes convert carbon dioxide to life and when conditions on earth are not so life permitting stores future life as carbon.

Greening Drylands
    [​IMG]

Naturally the Doomsday Carbonphobic Death Cult is against this.... but they can't stop it!

17. politicalcenter

Do you know what a slake test is? Do you know what a water infiltration test is? Do you know what glomalin is? Soil is a complex system and just like humans one compound does not a cure make.

18. Bowerbird

None of this mitigates the effect of increased levels of CO2 on the climate

It is the equivalent of saying because water is essential to all life floods never kill

:roll: Why am I debating with conspiracy theorists?? "Doomsday cult" sheeeesh!! Give me one iota of proof there is a doomsday cult and that they are influencing the science

19. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

What point are you attempting to refute?
    [​IMG]

20. Bowerbird

Simplistic views. It is not all about CO2. And no one is disputing this. What we are contending is that while plants absorb CO2 we are cutting down rainforests at an unprecedented rate we are deforesting the tropics and as we do so we are releasing methane into the atmosphere

21. Think for myself

Think for myself Well-Known Member Past Donor

That is not true. There is a connection made between greenhouse gases and global warming.

22. politicalcenter

If do not know about plants and soil don't pretend to know what is happening with CO2 and farming productivity. In other words you express an opinion and we all know what they are like.

23. Zorro

Zorro Well-Known Member

It's not an attempt at mitigation. Increased CO^2 increases plant growth, which is the basis of all life on earth. I'm pro-increased plant growth.
    Not it isn't. Carbon Dioxide is only 0.04% of the atmosphere. It ranges naturally from 0.02 to 0.7% and even at its highest levels does not displace O^2.

In fact the equation that is at the basis of the formation of life: 6CO2 + 6H2O + ν → C6H12O6 + 6O2

CO2
    Water
    Plants
    Oxygen
    V= Sunshine

Shows that a good portion of the additional oxygen production that occurs during photosynthesis isn't from the Oxygen in CO2, but is the release of oxygen from the water molecules. So no, photosynthesis does not cause flooding.

http://www.sjsu.edu/faculty/watkins/CO2plants.htm

24. politicalcenter

Ray Archuletta does a fantastic video on U Tube. It is called "it starts with the soil". He shows how to do some simple soil tests and he also has a real good snippet that shows carbon dioxide in the atmosphere during different times of the year. It is a NASA video. The video is over an hour long but very informative. He also covers grazing practices and soil conservation. I wish I could post it here but honestly I don't know how to do it on my phone.

25. Bowerbird

While some plants do better others do not. You're link seems to be to someone's high school paper - did you honestly CHECK the references yourself? For a paper that is purportedly backed by a University it cites "policy review" and "new scientist" as references :roll: Bloody hell! Academic writing it is NOT!!!

A the author is an Economist not a scientist or even anyone with any expertise anywhere near the field

And NONE of this mitigates the effect of increased CO2 on the climate

Plants cannot live on CO2 alone

https://www.skepticalscience.com/co2-plant-food.htm