Will Trump's Supreme Court Outlaw Abortion?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by AtsamattaU, Dec 17, 2016.

1. AtsamattaU

AtsamattaU Well-Known Member

People relied on some truly strange logic to justify their Trump vote, but the abortion issue may be the most unrealistic. I even oppose abortion, at least to the extent that states should have the power to prohibit it if that's what the people want. But I'm not foolish enough to think Trump is going to make it happen.

Will you be surprised when a Trump court reaffirms Roe v. Wade?

https://goo.gl/XBRf5n

2. cd8ed

cd8ed Well-Known Member Past Donor

"While a student at Stanford, I had become unintentionally pregnant. I had no money, no committed partner and my family was 3,000 miles away. I could neither find or afford a skilled provider. Abortion was illegal in California (1962), so I paid $600 to a person whose face I never saw to terminate my pregnancy. I was blindfolded throughout the procedure. Soon afterward, I began to hemorrhage and ended up on the intensive care ward of Stanford hospital with a fever of 105. I could have died, like so many women who risked the back alleys or aborted themselves." - When Abortion Was Illegal: Untold Stories

I don't understand the people that believe a woman should be forced to complete an unwanted pregnancy. They push against all attempts to push sex education and make protection accessible, ridicule the woman for being unmarried and making a poor choice, then want to force her to carry the child, then ridicule her for not being able to financially care for the child while also wanting to call her a deadbeat for needing public assistance- which they also want to gut.

I'm no pro-abortion in the slightest, it should be the last resort after every option is exhausted but seriously, WTF is wrong with you people?

There is zero chance of making abortion illegal, the only thing they may be able to accomplish is to enflict even more emotional scaring and financial strain on a woman that is already struggling to make it.

3. CrankyPant

CrankyPant New Member

Trump has no core beliefs of his own, so no telling what he'll try to do. On the one hand he has called himself pro-choice in the past and did encourage his mistress to get an abortion. But he was pandering to a different crowd this time around, and also has a rabidly anti-choice VP.
    But abortion has been legal in the US for 40 years, as it is in every first world nation. It's going to take more than just a couple of conservative judges to turn us into Iraq.

4. God & Country

God & Country Well-Known Member

Anecdotal examples of botched abortions are miniscule compared to 40,000,000 fetal deaths since Roe V Wade, if that's not genocide I don't what is. Life trumps irresponsibility, this forum is not the right venue for you to assuage personal guilt. Roe v Wade will not go down easy but it will go down starting with the demise of Planned Parenthood and Obamacare. We the people have had enough of being on the hook for this evil convenience. Contraception is just not that difficult to obtain and is more appropriate morally and economically.

5. Texas Republican

Texas Republican Well-Known Member Past Donor

We don't like to see an innocent human life snuffed out.

It's murder.

6. cd8ed

So you support charging the woman, her driver, the doctors and nurses, and anyone else who helped terminate a pregnancy with first digress murder?

7. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

8. Genius

Genius Active Member

Hopefully they'll throw it back to the states where it belongs.

9. cd8ed

Abortion will not be made illegal.
    Your morals are your own - a bundle of cells with no ability to survive outside of the mother is not life.

10. Genius

Genius Active Member

11. Texas Republican

Texas Republican Well-Known Member Past Donor

In a perfect world, yes. But nothing like that will never happen, so don't get your panties in a twist.

12. Right is the way

Right is the way Well-Known Member

If only we knew how women got pregnant so we can get pill or something to stop them from getting pregnant. I think that is where we need to focus some effort.

13. GrayMan

GrayMan Well-Known Member

Viability isn't a legit way to determine life. Awareness is and therefore having a developed and functioning brain is key. People who are on life support suck your time and bank account dry but if they are mentally capable you cannot unplug them. Why should it be different for an unborn child who is alive and aware?

5 weeks development is when the brain is developed. Most states use that as a guideline and go against the roe very wade Viability ruling.

14. Pax Aeon

Pax Aeon Well-Known Member

`
    My link comes from the site "Verdict." "Verdict" is a legal site, run by and for lawyers, which is owned by "Justia." It is not aligned politically or by ideology. The newsweek reprint is authentic. Why would you want to comment on an article you didn't read?

15. God & Country

God & Country Well-Known Member

What about the 22 states that allow late term abortions of viable fully functioning human beings where the child is terminated during a delivery? How is that not an evil?

16. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

I disagree with the constitutional interpretation which gives rise to Roe v. Wade, but have no issue with abortion. In fact, I think it should be completely deregulated, albeit 100% privately funded.

At the very least the Feds should have absolutely nothing whatsoever to do with it.

17. cd8ed

I am a vocal opponent to those procedures. The practice should be banned, nationwide.
    It is evil, the doctors that preform such procedures should be behind bars.

18. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

The pro-life movement has been making major inroads on restricting abortion access through state legislatures in red states anyway. Trump appointees to federal courts will simply emasculate Roe further by upholding these 'regulations' on abortion providers, abortion clinics, and the procedure, which is smarter tactically than a direct overturn. By the time Trump is through, red state legislatures will have made running an effective and financially solvent clinic utterly futile. Nobody will be able to find a doctor or clinic in their states to provide this legal right.

19. ButterBalls

ButterBalls Well-Known Member

The problem with making "mistakes" so easily corrected and paid for by using tax dollars from a very diverse society you then give them the right to approve or disapprove with the procedure, same goes with medical insurance and the overall cost added on to the consumers! Abortion shouldn't be the easy fix, it should be the last choice, why should society foot the bill for carelessness or in some cases recklessness!

We were all taught, even in the sixties the consequences of sex and ways to prevent it from happening! Hell, growing up in the bay area every gas station had a condom machine in the mens and womens! It would seem that sometimes, hardship is the only way some people "Get it", so if they can't muster up common sense, logic or read a pamphlet then let them learn with their wallets and their wealth not mine!

20. BillRM

BillRM Well-Known Member

How does this belong to the states as that would mean only very poor women that can not get a ride across a state border or two would need to either carry a baby to terms or get a high risk abortion.

But come to think about it a nationwide ban on abortions would mean that only women who can not buy a plane ticket to another nation also would be the ones that need to carry a fetus to term or risk having an illegal abortion.

Travel agents would just love abortions ban as it would increase their businesses.

Hell if I remember correctly New York state being the first state to allow abortions on demand before the SC ruling saw a large jump in out of state visitors and the travel agents was indeed happy.

21. Injeun

Injeun Well-Known Member

Not certain about abortion, but they should definitely either outlaw same sex marriage or change it in such a way as to allow relevant businesses to opt out for matters of conscience.

22. Scampi

Scampi Active Member

Well that’s a revelation, who elected you as a spokesman for ‘the people’? There’s arrogance and there’s egoism.

23. MississippiMud

MississippiMud Well-Known Member

What does innocence have to do with murder? As a Texas republican im gonna take a guess (apology if i guess wrong) that you favor the death penalty. (as do i) If abortion is murder then certainly so is the death penalty. Why sanction one form of murder over another?

A woman has dominion over her own body. She has the right to choose what happens with that body just as i have the right to choose with mine. An unborn is a part of the woman's body until such time that it is no longer contained within.

Is it right? That is for the individual to decide. I know its a cop out but i am glad it is a choice i will never have to make.

You claim to be against large government and yet you want government to rule over the female body? Interesting how we all favor governmental intrusion into the lives of others when it fits our own personal preferences.

24. BillRM

BillRM Well-Known Member

So those babies who are doom to die shortly after birth and many times in great pain should be allow to be born against the wishes of the mother?

Normally late period abortions are done not for the hell of it but for overriding reasons.

25. MississippiMud

MississippiMud Well-Known Member