Repeal of NC's HB2 Falls Short, as does Common Sense

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by NCspotter, Dec 21, 2016.

1. NCspotter

NCspotter Active Member

For most of the year, NC has had a grey cloud hanging over it due to House Bill 2's polarizing policies, which have resulted in many protests and several lost economic opportunities for the state. Essentially, HB2 mandates that people must use the restroom of their biological gender (which is stated on their birth certificates) at all public schools, colleges, and government agencies, which sounds fairly straight forward.....right?

Apparently not. Within the past year, large companies such as CoStar and PayPal have decided against expanding into North Carolina due to the confounding problems HB2 presents. Both the NBA and NCAA have moved very notable events out of NC in protest of the law, and many high-profile entertainers and artists have done the same. CoStar's statement of "We will affirm LGBT rights and the rights of every one of our employees and those in the community are a very high priority and core to our firm's values" pretty much echoes the statements of other businesses, entertainers, and leagues that have made the same decision.

My take? A mountain has been made out of a molehill. HB2 attempted to solve something that shouldn't have been a problem in the first place. As a conservative, I really don't care what you wear or if you fall under the LGBT umbrella because it doesn't affect me. However, men are men and women are women, and both should go to the bathroom that corresponds to their biological gender. I have a relative who is a lesbian, and I am pretty sure she stays a woman even if she dates other women, so quite frankly I fail to see how she would be discriminated against by any of HB2's language.

We all have either an X or Y chromosome that designates our gender, but for some reason it's okay to deny basic science if you feel like using the restroom of the opposite gender (yet at the same time we are forced to accept climate change, otherwise we are denying basic science). Like I said before, I don't care what you do; however, I am not going to offer special accommodations to those who make up some new gender in their minds and expect to be treated like a sane person.

http://www.wral.com/house-gop-divided-over-hb2-repeal/16360089/

2. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

How is this science? How does science say that the mental state of gender equate to the physical state of sex and that relation has to do with the genitalia?

3. Belch

Belch Well-Known Member

Gender is not a mental state.

4. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

Yes it is. Gender is a mental state because it is the result of a statement that you come to realize.

5. Ddyad

Ddyad Well-Known Member

Gender denial is now politically correct - and absurd.

6. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

No it's not. It's why your gender is labeled when you are born. If you have a weiner, you're male. There's no arguing about it. Your thoughts and feelings don't dictate gender.

7. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

You have hands too, but I doubt you would say that your hands define who you are. When I say mental state what do you think I mean?

8. Ddyad

Ddyad Well-Known Member

Opposable thumb - human being. Human weiner - male.

Which does not make a really freaky confused male a bad person. :)

9. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

So you're saying that the only reason that we're human, is because of opposable thumbs? Man the day when we discover a creature with opposable thumbs would suck.

"As mentioned, other primates besides humans have opposable thumbs. Chimpanzees, gorillas, and orangutans have opposable thumbs. Many of these primates also have toes on their feet that can function like an opposable thumb. These “opposable toes” are particularly useful in climbing trees."
    http://www.nsta.org/publications/news/story.aspx?id=49036

Even then, I don't think you would base your identity on opposable thumbs. The reason why we exist, is because of our mental states. Our rationality lets us come up with identities (i.e mental states) as we position ourselves in the world.

10. Ddyad

Ddyad Well-Known Member

LOL! You added "only reason". Why? ;-)

11. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

Are you saying you didn't mean that?

12. Ddyad

Ddyad Well-Known Member

I meant that while human beings regardless of gender have opposable thumbs male human beings have weiners. Hands are not gender specific - a penis is, unless, according to Jefferson, you are John Adams. And I doubt that you are.

13. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

I get your point, but when it comes to the privacy of bathrooms, we should go by legal definitions and not if someone "feels like a woman" but isn't. However, if they get the surgery and change their parts around, good for them, they earned the right to go to the other bathroom.

14. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

But it's easy to imagine a person without an opposable thumb. Human in every other regard, but no thumb. The problem with saying that physical states defines something is that we need a concept to tie it to. So when we say that opposable thumbs is human, we are talking about a concept of humanity, not humanity itself.

15. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

Doesn't that just end up discriminating against the poor? SRS is expensive, time consuming, you need all sorts of care afterwards. Transgender people are already more likely to be in poverty, this does nothing to help those in the most need.

16. TrackerSam

TrackerSam Well-Known Member Past Donor

What does your DNA say you are?

17. Ddyad

Ddyad Well-Known Member

A human being who is born without opposable thumbs is defective by definition. Birth defects happen - they do not make you a bad person. They would still human. A human being with female genitals is female - and human. A person with male genitals is male - and human. A person with both or neither would be in Jefferson's John Adams category - but still human.

18. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

I don't know, probably nothing because phenotype doesn't equal genotype.

19. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

Even if they lost their thumb in an accident? Human one moment and then whoops no longer? I was talking about birth defects, simple changes are all that's needed. Think Thrasymachus' ship. I can argue that the concept of his ship is all that matters. So long as it meets very basic standards, like a tie to the original claim, we can call it that. Your position doesn't allow for that flexibility. You have to argue that the moldy ship in a cave is the ship, even though most people don't see it as that.

20. Ddyad

Ddyad Well-Known Member

Not responsive to anything in my post. Read again.

21. Marcotic

Marcotic Well-Known Member

Fair enough.

As I see it though, as long as you aren't leering at anyone or revealing yourself any more then is necessary, for the task at hand, who really cares? At the bars I frequently see women hop into the stalls when there is a line - so long as everyone is respectful I don't see the problem.

Nowadays when I go out bathrooms aren't even labled. One of my new-favorites just says "whatever".

22. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

I responded, I actually did a fairly good job of outlying our positions. And I made a spelling mistake. I meant to say "I was not". Remember when we're talking about things, we're talking about concepts, like mental states that reduce down to physical ones.

23. Ddyad

Ddyad Well-Known Member

You discussion of the implications of the loss of a thumb was unresponsive to anything in my posts to you.

24. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

If you think so, then please let me know why.

25. Ddyad

Ddyad Well-Known Member

Well, Trump certainly agrees with your position. It will save a great deal in construction costs.

OTH, it will allow male predators risk free access to women's bathrooms to search for vulnerable targets for sexual assault without fear of arrest for simply entering the wrong restroom.