Gun Control Group Sends Useless Gun Locks To NFL Players

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by OrlandoChuck, Dec 29, 2016.

1. OrlandoChuck

OrlandoChuck Well-Known Member

What a hilarious story. This anti gun group sends useless locks to NFL players that received a gift from their quarterback. If this anti gun group had any knowledge about guns and gun locks, they would have known better.

Another case of "all we know is guns are bad".

Philadelphia Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz, who is a hunter, bought each member of his offensive line a custom over-under Beretta shotgun, reported to be one of the very nice Silver Pigeon line.

Predictably, a grandstanding gun control group turned the thoughtful gesture into a moment to scream, “Look at us! We’re still relevant! LOOK AT US!”

After news spread that Eagles quarterback Carson Wentz was buying personalized shotguns for his offensive line this Christmas, the players were quickly offered another gift: gun locks.

The gun-violence-prevention group CeaseFirePA said it was sending gun locks to the Eagles players who were receiving the shotguns from Wentz.

The rookie quarterback, who is a hunter, is buying the offensive line Beretta shotguns, each with the player’s number engraved on the butt of the gun, according to ESPN.

And now, the players are also getting locks for their firearms.

“Our staff’s immediate reaction to the news about Wentz’s gifts to his teammates was to ensure that the gifts were used safely and responsibly,” Shira Goodman, CeaseFirePA’s executive director, said in a statement. She said the organization was also encouraging the players to take gun-safety course and model responsible gun ownership.

CeasefirePA’s executive directorShira Goodman told Bearing Arms Thursday morning that they’re discussing whether to go with cable locks or trigger locks for the shotgun.

Amusingly, CeasefirePA’s attempt at grandstanding is an entirely futile one, as neither trigger locks nor cable locks will work reliably with an over/under shotgun.

Trigger locks must precisely fit the trigger guard of a firearm to function; otherwise the entire lock assembly can be moved to depress the trigger.

Cable locks work by running them through the action of a firearm. Over-under shotguns simply don’t have an action to obstruct. The best you might be able to do with a cable wrap is to wrap it around the receiver… which would be utterly foolish, as the barrel and receiver assemblies for Beretta’s over-under shotguns simply separate for storage and travel.

Maybe next time instead of looking for attention, CeasefirePA can do the rudimentary work it takes to discover that Carson Wentz bought his offensive line one of the safest firearms on the planet, which simply cannot be fired when stored.

CeasefirePA, like most gun control groups, runs on a toxic mix of ignorance arrogance, and fear.

Hopefully they’ll bother to one day take the same sort of gun safety classes they’ve recommended for the Eagles offensive line.

http://bearingarms.com/bob-o/2016/12/29/gun-control-group-useless-gun-locks/

2. vman12

vman12 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Maybe if Aaron Hernandez had gotten one he wouldn't be in jail.

Idiots.

3. Maccabee

Maccabee Well-Known Member

Anyone with a pair of bolt cutters can get into a cable lock. I'm willing to bet branch cutters will get through with no problem.

4. vman12

vman12 Well-Known Member Past Donor

A pair of pliers will cut through the ones that come with the gun.

5. Sage3030

Sage3030 Well-Known Member

What I want to know is this:

Were the gifts intercepted on their way to the recipients?

6. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

What a ridiculous statement. It sounds like the linemen were given the high end, custom Silver Pigeon models which would require hand fitting of the stocks and special order manufacture. Eligibility to own would have been established before the fact either by concealed carry or in many states by possession of a CCW. All you need now is delivery to a FFL that Beretta recognizes ( very easy and you can't ship any other way ) Said player is notified upon delivery, any necessary paperwork and background checks is done then and he can take it home in virtually most states.

7. rkhames

rkhames Well-Known Member

Talk about something going over someone's head! Carson Wentz has thrown 14 interceptions this year, and 14 touchdowns.

8. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

Maybe it was a subliminal message. Just think about it If he made All Pro then they might have gotten a Holland and Holland or at least an AYA.

9. rkhames

And maybe if they had made the playoffs, he could have gotten them a real rifle. Shotguns are for people that can't shoot. But then if he could hit the target he wouldn't have thrown 14 passes to the other team.

10. Rucker61

Rucker61 Well-Known Member

How good are you with a rifle at hitting skeet or quail?

11. rkhames

Never tried shooting skeet, but I have shot quail with a 22. But my gun that I usually used when I was growing up was a 7.55 MM Mousier. I once shot a buck behind the ear, and there was nothing left of the antlers.

12. rahl

rahl Banned

Do you close your front door and lock it when you leave the house?

13. Sage3030

I guess you don't watch football. Carson Wentz has thrown quite a few interceptions this year.

14. Sage3030

Nope. It was a joke about Wentz throwing interceptions.

15. QLB

QLB Well-Known Member

I watch a lot less. But Wentz is a rookie is he not?

- - - Updated - - -

I get the joke.

16. Maccabee

Sure, but when it comes to guns there are more effective ways of keeping them safe, like a safe. Besides with the model gun the linebacker has a cable lock won't work.

17. Turtledude

Turtledude Well-Known Member Donor

yeah its sort of like issuing a bike lock to secure a Ferrari

18. Sage3030

That he is. But not all rookie QB's are the same. Take the 4th round rookie out of MSU. Has thrown 4 all year, led his team to a 13-3 record, top 5 qbr etc.

Its more of a joke to me because I hate the eagles, after all, I'm a cowboys fan, and our rookie qb(that's the guy up there I referred to) has done much better.

19. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Just shows the technical ignorance of the gun control folks. If they had actual knowledge of things, they probably would be pro-gun.

20. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Shotguns are for hunters and shooters with brains. Wouldn't that be cleaver to shoot a rifle up into the air to have the bullet arc back down and kill someone a mile away.

I hope any guns you might have were bought in a toy store.

21. perdidochas

Shotguns are for shooting birds and small game while they are moving. Something next to impossible to do with a rifle. You are obviously ignorant of guns if you think he didn't do a great thing for them. Those are nice upland game/skeet shotguns.

- - - Updated - - -

Did you shoot the quail on the wing (when it was flying), or unsportingly on the ground?

22. Maccabee

Or at the very least tolerant of those who do own guns.

23. rkhames

Another load of male bovine excrement brought to us from someone that never held a gun much less fired one.

I am a seven award expert in the Marines and a five award expert with the pistol. So, I am very familiar with how to operate a firearm and ensure that my target, and only my target, is hit. In my last post spoke of shooting a buck behind the ear, and it took the whole head off. Large round. That was when I was 14, and the shot was from about 200 feet away from my target. Back then we have two rifles and a shotgun. When we would go out checking the fences, we would go armed in case of snakes, and the possibility of shooting some rabbits or squirrels. My dad was carrying the 20 gauge shotgun, my older brother was carrying the 22, and I had my 7.55MM, As we were walking along, Three deer jumped the fence in front of us. They were a buck and two does. One of he does snagged the fence with her leg, and managed to take out a section. Each of us sighted on a deer, and fired at almost the same time, What always amazed me, is that none of us had said anything, and all three of us sighted on different deer. We dropped all three. Now, if you don't think a snap shot from 200 yards, and hitting the target just behind the ear is not a skill shot, then you are completely mistaken.

If you think that it takes more skill to hit something with scatter shot then with a single round from a rifle, then I seriously hope that you never come in contact with a firearm real or not. A shotgun was designed for those that can not shoot accurately. A shotgun fires multiple projectiles that pepper the area of the target. It also is a short range weapon. Yes, you might have to get closer to your target, but that takes far less skill then firing a round accurately while adjusting for wind changes. Your the type that is mentally challenged enough to point a toy gun at a cop, and think that your going to come out of the exchange in better shape then the cop.

24. rkhames

I have shot a lot of rabbits and squirrels with a 22, and I can guarantee you that they were moving. When shooting a rabbit, you have to anticipate their hop, and fire just before they make the hop. That way you catch them in midair, and more exposed. When hunting squirrel, you catch them when they jump from one tree to another. It is really not hard. It is something that I have been doing since I was 10 years old.

Further, I am a seven award expert with the rifle and five award with pistol. Additionally, I was the Platoon High Shooter in Marine Corps Boot Camp, and fired on the Cherry Point rifle team for a year. So, let me know when you want to have a rifles skill contest.

We used to get a lot of quail in our garden eating the seeds in fall. This includes when we planted a winter hay crop. I would wait for them to settle into the field. I would yell out, or smack the side of my 22. They would take off, and I would fire. I rarely missed getting one bird every time. But quail are pretty dump birds. After I fired, and killed one of their flock. They would circle around, and return to our field. It usually took me repeating the process five or six times before they got the message and went to pester some other farm. But then it did give us some good meals.

Btw, if you think shooting a clay pigeon is the same as shooting a real one, then try it some time. I can assure that the clay ones are not as fast or as smart as the real thing. The real thing will not wait for you to get ready to shoot before taking off, and their flight path will not always be the same every time.

So, I will leave you with a fact that I know. Shotguns are for those that can not shoot a rifle, and the only ones that say otherwise are those that have to use a shotgun.

25. perdidochas

I honestly am a pretty poor wingshooter. I prefer rifles and pistols to shotguns, but shotguns have their use. I love the way everybody on the internet is 6'4", and all have marksmanship medals (besides me). Are you also the director of the Cincinatti field office of the FBI?