Dow Jones down almost 200 points in 3 days

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Quantum Nerd, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Quantum Nerd

Quantum Nerd Well-Known Member

The Dow Jones index is down almost 200 points in 3 days, or about 1%. Where are the threads crediting Trump for the loss?

Because I clearly remember the "thank you Trump" threads when the DJI rose during the "Trump bump".

In reality, the stock market is a random walk up, reacting to a lot more things than a president elect promising tax cuts for the rich.

Was there some irrational exuberance after Trump got elected? Sure there was. But now reality is sinking back in, and the realization that the fundamentals of the economy have not changed a bit since the election. The consumer still has no money to spend and making them feel a little better about the economy still doesn't give them any money to spend. For that to happen, wages would actually have to increase, and not only for the top 20%. I am not seeing a lot of indication that this will actually happen during the Trump term.

I would not be surprised, though, to see another increase in the DJI, after all the doom and gloomers who missed the Obama stock market rally now start pouring their money into the market, buying high and eventually selling low when the inevitable next crash happens.

Me, I keep putting 28% of my salary into the stock and bond market every paycheck, filtering out the noise.

2. mbk734

mbk734 Well-Known Member

Ignore the noise and day to day movement. The US is still the best country to invest in (VTI/VBR) by a long shot for the long term. I would still hold some international index funds (VXUS/VSS) (20-40%) to diversify globally. I'm more concerned about the bond market with rising interest rates but I don't think it's a big deal if you're investing for 20-30 years.

Trump will lower taxes and regulations which is good for the economy. Also getting rid of Obamacare will help like it or not. I hope he doesn't damage the environment with getting rid of regulations. Also, he needs to help lower and middle class people, not just corporations. I'm marginally optimistic.

3. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

Can Trump appoint a new Federal Reserve chairman on his first day in office? If so that should be job one for him.

4. Foolardi

Foolardi Well-Known Member Past Donor

November and December are notorious months to decide to sell shares
    of one's mutual funds { which invest in equities like stocks }.
    It might have something to do with Investors not buying Mutual funds
    because a periodic dividend is being offered this week.Not a time to buy
    or sell Mutual funds.Sell shares now before January and if the shares gained
    in value you will have to pay capital gains come April.
    Now Trump has said he is gonna markedly reduce tax rates and also
    capital gains.But that isn't until next year.

5. vman12

vman12 Well-Known Member Past Donor

So what you're saying is that the Dow is only up 1800 points since Nov 8th, right?

6. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

It's Wall Street reaction to Obama's thousands of new regulations on businesses and Obama's pantywaist sanctions on Russia.

7. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member Past Donor

Prob has something to do with obama starting a war with russia with three weeks left. Dont worry...Obamas gone soon and it will go up again. Just like when you take the trash out everything smells better. Of course we will have to bleach the whitehouse to get the failure off the walls but other than that, I think we will be good to go.

8. Quantum Nerd

Quantum Nerd Well-Known Member

So, what you are saying is that you know the causes of stock market rallies and crashes. If that's the case, you should be able to predict and time the market and make a killing .... wait, didn't think so.

9. vman12

Clearly I know a 2000 point bump followed by a 200 point drop is still good, to put it mildly.

Don't you?

Even Obama's warmongering only managed to drop it 200.

My 401k went up a little over $200k, so I'd say I did pretty well.

10. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member Past Donor

No I didn't say that all. I said it probably has something to do with. Its fairly simple you can watch the market then see what happened just prior to that that may have caused it. My guess is it will bounce back after Putins textbook perfect response to beta male Obama.....he ignored him and did nothing. That is perfect. Nothing like being humiliated on your way out the door when your last pouty pout pout stompy feet Russia did it plan didn't work,

11. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

I already did that to prove a point too someone. I prefer Vegas, it's more fun.

It was around April of 2003 and I was aboard North Island NAS and I noticed they were loading trucks with batteries all kinds of batteries. Did the snooping around and heard that the U.S.military in Iraq was running out of batteries and they were scrounging for batteries at every military base in the CONUS and even on the Rock.

So when I got home went on the net to see who manufactures batteries for the military. There's ten companies who have contracts with the military and one caught my eye. Ultralife, at $4.15 per share I bought 250 shares. They got a new contract and about a year later I dumped the Ultralife stocks at $23.50 per share. Not bad, turning a $1,000 investment into a $5,800 in just a year.

12. Johnny-C

Johnny-C Well-Known Member

Trump is so unstable in so many ways... he'll have the stock market running like a roller coaster (up/down...etc.). :(

13. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

I think he was saying it is up about 13,500 points, or 200%, since Obama took office.

14. vman12

Yeah you might want to go back and look at what it was in 2008.

15. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

I know what it was. It hit bottom in about March, just after he took office. The low was around 6800.

The Republican crash was still in process when he came in.

I would imagine that the stock market has gained more value as a percentage and in real numbers, under Obama, than any President in history.

16. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Nah, we just laughed at those that said Trump's election would crash the market which didn't happen.

17. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

unless you are tied to the indexes, it really doesn't matter if the market is up or down. It only matters if your specific portfolio components are up or down.

18. vman12

Wrong.

It was over 13k in Jan 2008, and didn't hit bottom until March of 2009.

Looks like even the market knew how bad Obama was.

19. cupAsoup

cupAsoup Well-Known Member

Get used to trumpbots giving him credit for everything and blame for nothing. They've already proven with their vote for him that stupid is to be admired and ignorance is the way to go. We have to try and move out of the realm of facts, logic, and reason with trumpers. They're all emotion and no sense.

20. cupAsoup

cupAsoup Well-Known Member

I know you're dying to blame Obama for anything, but you need to try harder than this. That market that bottomed in March of 2009 had been heading down since the previous summer. Bush's economic disaster is one for the books, and the recovery that took place under Obama has been one of the longest periods of sustained growth and job creation in our history. I know facts don't pierce that bubble you live in, but this is information available to anyone.

21. Market Junkie

Market Junkie Banned

Investors may be finally starting to realize that the useful idiots just put dysfunctional republicans in charge of everything.

That's not exactly a recipe for stock market success, as more than a hundred years of market history has shown.

Wouldn't be surprised, tho, if the market is up next week since large institutional investors typically invest large sums of money at the beginning of new months and new years.

Ryan is an embarrassing lightweight, but it should be great fun when Tainted Don and that stubborn old goat McConnell inevitably start butting heads...

22. Market Junkie

Market Junkie Banned

It's had a great (not to mention highly profitable :cool:) run under Obama.

But it had an even more impressive run under another outstanding Democratic president ... William Jefferson Clinton.

23. vman12

It's not my fault the previous poster can't figure out how much the Dow was when Obama took office.

- - - Updated - - -

Hmmm, what else happened during Clinton's presiden....oh yeah, the Internet.

24. Market Junkie

Market Junkie Banned

Fine work.

But arguing with the legions of right-wingers on here is like arguing with a bunch of robots that have been programmed to be stupid...

25. Market Junkie

Market Junkie Banned

Uh, the 'net was even bigger and better when your republican heroes Bush-Cheney got behind the wheel ... and drove the economy into the Grand Canyon...