+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 190 of 459

Thread: Post your tough questions for an Atheist/Agnostic.

  1. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William Rea View Post
    Communication is a two way thing, you have a sender and a receiver, both can be at fault. You seem to believe that you have some kind of moral high ground here and yet, your posts routinely hurl general insults at atheists, my paraphrase effectively reflected what you said. You think that because you are throwing your insults at atheists it makes them any more acceptable? I don't care if you respond to my posts much, all you seem to be doing is spoiling for a fight anyway.
    In no way would I wish to insult posters. I think since you accused me, it should be simple for you to prove I insulted atheists.

    Give it a shot.

    Apparently that is your excuse to taunt me and post things you claim I said. As I correctly say, the act of doing my talking for me is not a good idea.
    Stop trying to make everyone happy. You are not tequilla.

  2. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wyrd of Gawd View Post
    Jesus was a heretic psychopath as were the assorted story tellers.

    The statement: "Jesus saved you from the empty way of life handed you by your forefathers" (1 Peter 1:18 ) would be considered to be asinine by any religious Jew at that time because it says that Moses' laws were BS. They were of course but for the story teller to tell that to people who had been indoctrinated into that way of life would have gotten the story teller gutted and roasted in a flash.

    The reality is that everyone is an atheist because all gods are imaginary. Even if you profess to believe in a favorite deity your imagine of him is different than everyone else's. Not one pope, priest, minister, or pastor has ever believed in Jesus because not one of them has ever had enough faith to do what he said they could do if they had faith and didn't doubt. The same is true for every other religion. Not one person really believes in any of it because they don't follow all of the doctrine. They pick and choose the parts that satisfy their delusions.
    Correction

    1 Peter 1:18-19New International Version (NIV)

    18 For you know that it was not with perishable things such as silver or gold that you were redeemed from the empty way of life handed down to you from your ancestors, 19 but with the precious blood of Christ, a lamb without blemish or defect.
    Stop trying to make everyone happy. You are not tequilla.

  3. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William Rea View Post
    Communication is a two way thing, you have a sender and a receiver, both can be at fault. You seem to believe that you have some kind of moral high ground here and yet, your posts routinely hurl general insults at atheists, my paraphrase effectively reflected what you said. You think that because you are throwing your insults at atheists it makes them any more acceptable? I don't care if you respond to my posts much, all you seem to be doing is spoiling for a fight anyway.
    When you argue your points, what do you believe / accept are your flaws? Weak points and irrelevant counter comments?
    Stop trying to make everyone happy. You are not tequilla.

  4. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    In no way would I wish to insult posters. I think since you accused me, it should be simple for you to prove I insulted atheists.

    Give it a shot.

    Apparently that is your excuse to taunt me and post things you claim I said. As I correctly say, the act of doing my talking for me is not a good idea.
    Really?...

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    You know, if one studies the entire universe, one discovers new things fairly often...

    ...A child knows nothing. Over time as they attain the age of 1, they do know something. It is likely to be the beginning of language skills. By 3, the child has made advances. By 8 they are far more advanced.

    I have been thinking that atheists are at a particular stage that they think they know everything worth knowing, but in reality they are lagging those of us who accept GOD.
    That post contained as a minimum
    One insult that atheists are closed minded
    One insult atheists are intellectually immature
    One insult telling atheists what they think

    Really?

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    I have a strong suspicion that as you speak to those who know you well, your style turns them off...

    ...communication with atheists is almost impossible.

    ...Atheists are more than non believers, they actually think they know something.
    When i attempt to discuss the universe with them, they get that blank stare and simply can't have a conversation...
    That post contained as a minimum
    One insult of my posting style.
    One insult that atheists are practically unable to communicate
    One insult telling atheists what they think
    One insult that atheists just don't get what you say

    I make that seven insults over two posts but clearly, I am wrong because you don't insult.
    Last edited by William Rea; Jan 11 2017 at 12:45 PM.

  5. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Robert View Post
    When you argue your points, what do you believe / accept are your flaws? Weak points and irrelevant counter comments?
    My flaw is that I have debated theists on the internet for a long time so I almost know exactly what they will say before they even say it. If this was a chess game then I would be about 20 moves ahead of you and my weakness is that even knowing that I still try to engage. After all, one day, one of them might bring something new to the game.
    Last edited by William Rea; Jan 11 2017 at 12:50 PM.

  6. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William Rea View Post
    Really?...



    That post contained as a minimum
    One insult that atheists are closed minded
    One insult atheists are intellectually immature
    One insult telling atheists what they think

    Really?



    That post contained as a minimum
    One insult of my posting style.
    One insult that atheists are practically unable to communicate
    One insult telling atheists what they think
    One insult that atheists just don't get what you say

    I make that seven insults over two posts but clearly, I am wrong because you don't insult.
    Are you serious?

    Frankly, I read much worse than that coming from atheists.

    As I said, my commentary is not for the purpose of insults.

    Are you They? Oh heck, when you talk that way, in your view you did not insult. At the least, if you think you got insulted, check with me. I am so honest and frank that I would tell any poster to their face if I am insulting them or taunting them.

    I believe when i relate what I get from talking to atheists I am being honest, yet with no intent of malice.

    Forums containing rhetoric and accusations such as I get do tend to get on my nerves.
    Stop trying to make everyone happy. You are not tequilla.

  7. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by William Rea View Post
    My flaw is that I have debated theists on the internet for a long time so I almost know exactly what they will say before they even say it. If this was a chess game then I would be about 20 moves ahead of you and my weakness is that even knowing that I still try to engage. After all, one day, one of them might bring something new to the game.
    We are seriously stupid?

    And that is your flaw?

    By the way, I am rusty today but I had a chess ranking at one point of over 2200. I note that when you taunt or insult, you fall back on denial. If you think I insulted, you go full force at accusing me of taunts or insults.

    To you, why do I accept GOD?
    Stop trying to make everyone happy. You are not tequilla.

  8. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tecoyah View Post
    As it seems there is a Christian thread meant to answer tough questions (and will not do so) I propose a like thread concerning the opposite. You might note the combined Atheist/Agnostic, this is to quell confusion as both terms apply equally when the Theist is involved.
    Sounds like an idea that will bring only anger and hatred. But I'll play, and stay clear of anger and hatred.

    You have probably heard this one before-
    If indeed God is true (I only say if for you), what would you tell Him on your judgment day?

    How is it you can have life, a conscience (you), everything that you see, from the birds to the bees, flowers to the trees, fishes of the seas, all the creepy crawlers, all the beasts of the field, stars in the heavens, sun and moon, and only think it is all a mere cosmic coincidence? As if your life has no meaning whatsoever?

    We'll start with those two/three!
    Last edited by jrr777; Jan 11 2017 at 01:34 PM.

  9. Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Johnny Brady View Post
    A man's gotta do...
    For example Truman nuked Japan twice and Churchill and Ike demolished Germany.
    If everybody had refused to fight, the japs woud be ruling America now, and the nazis would be in charge of Europe..

    "When I look round to see how we can win the war I see that there is only one sure path...and that is absolutely devastating, exterminating attack by very heavy bombers from this country upon the Nazi homeland"
    -Winston Churchill July 1940


    "Give me a man who'll fight!"
    -Pres Roosevelt (looking for a commander to stop Japanese expansion after Pearl Harbor .He found one in Adm. Chester Nimitz)


    "If you don't like to fight, I don't want you around. You'd better get out before I kick you out"- Gen George Patton

    Guderian quote from 'Panzer Leader' page 114-
    "On the 21st of May 1940 a noteworthy event occurred to the north of us: English tanks attempted to break through in the direction of Paris.
    At Arras they came up against the SS Division Totenkopf which had not been in action before and which showed signs of panic"


    "War is cruelty. There's no use trying to reform it, the crueler it is the sooner it will be over"
    -William Tecumseh Sherman


    "My pistol made contact with the mans face as I fired"-
    -Young cavalry officer Winston Churchill as his unit charged into muslim troops near Omdurman
    Literally none of those quotes address the issue. None. A few of the reasons why:

    1) The Curse of Ham, or more accurately the Curse of Canaan, had absolutely nothing to do with war. At all. Ham saw his dad naked so God picked one of Ham's sons and cursed him and his descendants to generational slavery. This, incidentally, is the first time slavery is mentioned in the Bible, it occurs right after the global flood, and according to the Bible it was God's idea. That means God either invented slavery, and specifically hereditary slavery having nothing to do with war prisoners or criminals, or he reintroduced the idea after whipping it from the face of the earth.

    2) The other incident I'm talking about is the genocide/infanticide of the Amalekites. Despite your attempt at a modern comparison, swords and spears are considerably easier to aim than weapons of mass destruction. God didn't tell the Israelites that it was okay if Amalekite children died as an untargeted consequence. He told them specifically to target children.

    3) Your "war is hell" excuse not only confuses melee weapons with bombs, you are providing your own attempt at a "justification" that isn't found anywhere in the Bible. The justification that the God of the Bible gives for killing these children is that the distant ancestors of their parents attacked the distant ancestors of the Israelites while they were fleeing Egypt (Deut 25:17-19).

    4) Saul, the person God told to kill all of these Amalekites, didn't follow through and he allowed some of them to survive. They didn't wipe out Israel. So obviously the "They had to kill all of them out of self defense" excuse doesn't hold. Saul was apparently both more wise and more moral than his God.

    5) If the "they had to do it" excuse were true, God would have told the Israelites to do this sort of bare-earth warfare all of the time. This is one of the only times in the Bible God commands infanticide. In other wars, God tells the Israelites to spare children. The argument that it was a necessity is a farce.

    6) God didn't only tell Saul to kill every man, woman, and child. He told them to kill all of their animals too. This was ritual and ancestral revenge (see previously cited verses), not a utilitarian calculation by a shrewd military leader.

    7) You'll find that Christians on these boards have all sorts of excuses for these atrocities, no two of which seem to be the same, and none of which can be matched with the story presented.

    You severely limit your God. He'll perform miracles to prove his greatness, but can't come up with a better way to go into war than what we practice today?

    This isn't to say that I don't think that Christian thinkers have contributed significantly to philosophy. I've found a lot to like about Rudolph Otto, Reinhold Neibuhr, Paul Tillich, Richard Swinburne, etc. However, to hold up this sort of barbaric ignorance as the word of an all-powerful, all-knowing God who identifies himself with reason (logos) and compassion (agape)? That's a shame.
    "I do whine because I want to win and I'm not happy about not winning and I am a whiner and I keep whining and whining until I win." - Donald Trump . . . yes, that's an actual quote

  10. #190

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Wyrd of Gawd View Post
    Jesus was a heretic psychopath...
    The reality is that everyone is an atheist because all gods are imaginary.
    1- the snooty Jewish priests said Jesus was nutty too, so whose side you on, his or theirs?..
    2- The word "God" is oldfashioned, try to think of him as an "alien intelligence", and Jesus as his front man who told us how to get to him, the trick is to simply like Jesus so that we mindmeld with him and our souls automatically fly to him through the 'Jesus Stargate" when our bodies die- "Let us fix our eyes on Jesus.." (Heb 12:2)

    Jesus said-"Enter through the narrow gate, for wide is the gate and broad is the road that leads to destruction, and many enter through it,but small is the gate and narrow the road that leads to life, and only a few find it."(Matt 7:13)
    Right Teal'c?






    Last edited by Johnny Brady; Jan 11 2017 at 06:44 PM.

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 19 of 46 FirstFirst ... 915161718192021222329 ... LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Part 5 of Post Your Tough Questions Regarding Christianity
    By Mitt Ryan in forum Religion & Philosophy
    Replies: 786
    Last Post: Apr 10 2013, 11:00 PM
  2. Part IV Post your tough Questions on Christianity
    By WanRen in forum Religion & Philosophy
    Replies: 617
    Last Post: Mar 15 2013, 05:56 AM
  3. Part 3 of Post Your Tough Questions Regarding Christianity
    By Mitt Ryan in forum Religion & Philosophy
    Replies: 770
    Last Post: Mar 03 2013, 08:50 AM
  4. Part 2 of Post Your Tough Questions Regarding Christianity
    By Mitt Ryan in forum Religion & Philosophy
    Replies: 749
    Last Post: Feb 12 2013, 09:41 AM
  5. Post Your Tough Questions Regarding Christianity
    By Mitt Ryan in forum Religion & Philosophy
    Replies: 878
    Last Post: Jan 22 2013, 12:01 PM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks