Predictions from Obama's Reelection

Discussion in 'Elections & Campaigns' started by contrails, Jan 1, 2017.

1. contrails

contrails Active Member

Conservatives made some predictions if Obama was reelected back in 2012. I wonder if they'll fair any better over the next four years.

Gas would cost $6.60 per(*)gallon.
    Gas is currently averaging $2.33, down from the $3.50 average in November 2012.

We would have chronic high unemployment.
    Today unemployment stands at 4.6%, even lower than the 6.1% Romney promised by January 2017.

The stock market would drop at least 20%.
    Today the market is up 46% to a record high of nearly 20,000.

California is going to declare bankruptcy and the entire U.S. economy will collapse.
    California currently has a $2.8 billion budget surplus and the U.S. economy is outperforming almost every other economy in the world.

2. Jiminy

Jiminy Well-Known Member

Reality and conservatism tend not to be compatible.

3. REALITY CHUCK

REALITY CHUCK Well-Known Member

Yep, predictions are often wrong. However, I predicted back before 2008 that Obama would be a bad choice for Prez based on his poor performance here in Illinois as one of our Senators. I was right. Liberals predicted that he would bring the country together again. Just the opposite happened.

It was predicted that Obamacare would bomb. It did.

If you believe the employment numbers put out by Obama, I have a bridge on Mars I'd like to sell you.

4. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

OKAY!!!

Of course a real argument means using actual data, like the Dow, employment, gas prices.. He is bad because I say so is not an argument no matter how big the font.

5. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

Obama pulled us back from the brink of disaster caused by the Republican economic collapse. But they never remember that. I think every Republican should bow to Obama and sing his praises for saving us from their global economic nightmare.

6. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

I predicted in 2008 that Obama and Hillary would turn the ME into a festering pool of misery and the try to blame it all on Putin. They got caught up Arab Spring mania not realizing yhat when Islamic countries have revolutions things get worse, not better.

7. rahl

rahl Banned

Unemployment has been calculated the same way for decades. Unemployment is under 5% currently. This is reality.

8. Gatewood

Gatewood Well-Known Member

Precisely, and as for the stock market recently skyrocketing, even the average leftist knows that this is a reaction to Trump getting elected and has nothing whatsoever to do with Barack Obama except it being in celebration that Obama is FINALLY sliming his way out of office and that now finally the national economy will be getting into gear.

9. rahl

rahl Banned

Lol, the stock market doubled under obama.

10. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member Past Donor

What I find most interesting is that the cheapest gas in the USA are in Republican states.
    California way south of me.
    Obama just banned millions of gallons of gasoline from the market so maybe you jumped the gun by taking the word of a member of the House of representatives.

as to out of work, apparently you think the job participation rate, at the worst of all times, is good news.

Oh the stock market thingy. Rumor has it since 1929 presidents have a magic wand and up or down goes the stock market. Presently I think by my guys giving Trump credit on the stock market must be dizzy on vodka.

Oh but wait, you too think presidents change stock markets.

Ca the land of enormous taxes declare bankruptcy? Trump builds the wall, we catch the illegals at the border and shake them down. We won't go broke so long as you keep sending us the illegals.

- - - Updated - - -

What is your point?

11. Robert

Robert Well-Known Member Past Donor

The last time the unemployment rate hit 5 percent, what was the labor participation rate? Could not have been nearly as poor as today. Why do you think Hillary lost? Because we are all working? :roflol:

12. vman12

vman12 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Gas prices up 96% under Obama.

http://www.cnsnews.com/news/article/price-gallon-gas-96-under-obama

Real unemployment up at least 10%. All of Obama's jobs that he "created" are part-time, low-paying, service industry jobs. This is in spite of huge numbers of baby boomers retiring. If it wasn't for that one fact, it would probably be closer to 20% unemployment.

Labor participation rate has done nothing but hit historic lows under Obama.

I won't even get into how ridiculous the GDP has been under Obama.

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/435093/barack-obamas-economy-ugly-truth

The stock market tanked right after he was sworn in, and exploded (coincidentally?) on Nov 8th once business knew the weaponized EPA was no longer a threat.

California's economy (nearly 50% of its income) is based on ONE percent of Californians. Their "surplus" came from gutting education, and forcing voters to choose between more education cuts, or "volunteering" to vote for a tax hike.

Sounds great that they have a surplus, until you realize they don't. Their little 2.8 billion "surplus" doesn't take into account the $220 billion of unfunded pension and health care liabilities.

Not really what I'd call a surplus, but hey, Democrats are nothing if not smoke and mirrors kind of people.

Maybe it was the Russians?

https://calcoastnews.com/2016/01/california-has-a-surplus-but-retirement-liabilities-remain/

13. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Liberals predicted republicans would never again hold the WH. Under Obama democrats have lost 1030 seats nationwide. Obama has been a disaster for democrats.

14. contrails

contrails Active Member

15. contrails

contrails Active Member

How did we ever survive all those years after WWII when the labor participation rate was below 60%? Did you ever notice that the participation rate started increasing just as the baby-boomers reached working age, and then started declining just as they reached retirement age?

16. rahl

rahl Banned

the poster I quoted was incorrect.

17. rahl

rahl Banned

sorry, but unemployment is under 5%. I know you guys want to all of a sudden count high schoolers, college students, stay at home moms and retired geriatrics living in nursing homes as part of the labor force, but it's pure partisan hackery.

Hillary lost because she was a terrible candidate and terrible choice for the DP nominee.

18. AmericanNationalist

AmericanNationalist Well-Known Member

Keep in mind, this was all pre-fracking. The Fracking Revolution really did save a lot of jobs and created a huge boon in energy sector. So while the Obama Economy steadily improved throughout the last four years, Obama didn't do himself any favors on the domestic front.

19. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

So the "Hillary landslide!" crew, embarrassed by their failed 2016 predictions, wants to deflect attention away from themselves and onto Republicans.

20. jackdog

jackdog Well-Known Member

If people had like Obama's policies they would have voted Hillary in to continue them, it is not complicated

oh and on predictions, just think this guy gets paid to make predictions when wil he get anything right, my first pass answer is never

Paul Krugman: The Economic Fallout
    It really does now look like President Donald J. Trump, and markets are plunging. When might we expect them to recover?

Frankly, I find it hard to care much, even though this is my specialty. The disaster for America and the world has so many aspects that the economic ramifications are way down my list of things to fear.

Still, I guess people want an answer: If the question is when markets will recover, a first-pass answer is never.

21. rahl

rahl Banned

more people voted for Hilary than for trump, so clearly the people like Obama's policies. As evidenced by Clinton receiving more votes than trump, and the fact Obama is enjoying a very favorable approval rating.

22. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

:roflol::roflol::roflol:

What Jerry Brown Won't Tell The DNC About California

23. REALITY CHUCK

REALITY CHUCK Well-Known Member

Figures lie and lairs figure. The government has different definitions of employment than the general public. Find out what U3 and U6 are in the government's definition of employment numbers. If I remember correctly, U6 is reality and U3 is what the government would like you to think is reality. If you have an administration that has an extensive track record of lying to the people about its performance, why are you so inclined to believe anything they say that makes them look good?

You might also consider the quality of those jobs.

24. rahl

rahl Banned

ok? unemployment has been calculated the same way for decades. Unemployment is currently under 5%. That is reality.

25. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

Obama promised he would reduce the national debt - instead he increased it more than all other presidents combined.

100,000,000 Americans of working age are unemployed - the 4.5% number is an outright lie. Of jobs created 94% were part-time jobs.

Obama promised no one would lose their doctor and insurance premiums would go down $2,500. A lie and later admitted a deliberate lie.

He stated Iraq was a stable government.

He promised to close Gitmo.

I could go on with the list.

- - - Updated - - -

California is nearly $1 trillion in debt.

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/05/01/report-californias-actual-debt-set-at-848b-could-pass-1-1t/