Steps toward a well-regulated militia

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by TOG 6, Jan 5, 2017.

1. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

Stemming from a topic designed to lure pro-gun people into arguements against nonsense...

As a step toward the federal government's efforts to ensure a well-regulated militia, I propose :

The federal government require all adults who can legally own a firearm purchase an AR-15(1), 6x30rd magazines and at least 500 rounds of ammunition, with said firearm, magazines and ammunition be safely maintained and stored in the owner's home. These people are then required to undergo rifle marksmanship training with this rifle at least once every two years, with the standards of training to be set by the director of the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

Any person who does not meet this requirement will pay a yearly tax of $2500. Alternately,. these people may choose to spend 80 hours over each 2-year period they choose to not equip and train themselves, as required above, working as service support for those who do elect to train. The specifics of this service will be determined by the director of the Civilian Marksmanship Program.

Revenue raised by the taxes specified above will go towards the facilities and administration necessary for the required training as well as a needs-based subsidy for those who wish to meet the purchase/training requirements but lack the means to do so.

---

All of this is fully within the power of the federal government and would create a large pool of people with sufficient basic marksmanship skills from which the state and federal militias could draw upon as necessary.

Thoughts?

(1) Alternately, a citizen could select an M1 Garand or a civilian version of the M14; in each of these cases, the magazine requirements are modified so that the citizen have sufficient magazine/clips to carry at least 180 rounds on his person.

2. Rucker61

Rucker61 Well-Known Member

Would the M1s or M14s come from government stocks and be sold at CMP prices, or would we have to buy new from Springfield?

3. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

Get them however you can get them - a CMP Garand fills the requirement just as well as a home-brewed AR.

4. Rucker61

Rucker61 Well-Known Member

Age limits?

5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Are you suggesting the government force people to have a weapon? Nope.

6. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

Adults.
    I guess there needs to be an upper limit. Oversight on my part.
    18-55.

- - - Updated - - -

Of course not -- they have -two- alternatives.

7. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

the government does not have any right to force us to do anything. What is it with you conservatives where you claim to be all about small government but then when it comes to other things, you want a nanny state? Leave people alone. If people want to have a gun, then they will. If they do not, then you don't have a right to force them.

8. Battle3

Battle3 Well-Known Member

This thread is obviously an intentionally exaggerated response to the recent spate of threads from gun banners seeking "compromise" gun regulation.

Next, the idea of a "citizen army" was fundamental to the writers of the Constitution, that's why the Constitution banned a standing federal army.

Finally, while the federal government has very limited Constitutional powers, the states most certainly can require all able bodied individuals to be members of a state militia, or to meet certain requirements such as owning an appropriate firearm, and being proficient with that firearm.

Personally, I like the approach listed in post #1. If everyone were familiar with firearms, the fear and mystery disappears, and the propaganda coming from the gun banners will be seen as the BS it is.

9. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Well I don't like it. I don't like the idea of the government forcing people to do anything against their will . . . within reason of course. Making everyone have a weapon is stupid. Some people can't or won't own one for their own reasons.

10. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

Article I:8 gives the federal government the power "To provide for organizing, arming, and disciplining, the militia, and for governing such part of them as may be employed in the service of the United States,"
    The proposal in the OP is a clear exercise of this power.

11. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

It is an -honest- attempt to take steps toward a well--regulated militia, rather than a half-baked effort to use the idea as a way to further restrict the rights of the people.

12. RedDirtWalker

RedDirtWalker Well-Known Member

The government MAKES you do things all of the time. It makes you pay taxes, have an ID to drive, but not vote, the list goes on and on.

Really, idea 1 is no different then ObamaCare.........everyone will pay to have insurance or you will be fined........and you can keep your doctor:roflol: I really see no difference.

13. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

Fortunately, the proposal in the OP doesn't do this.

14. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I said "within reason."

- - - Updated - - -

But you propose to fine those people who can't or won't? :roll: This sounds like a leftist's proposal.

15. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

Except, of course, there is text from the Constitution that specifically gives the government the power to enact legislation with regard to the militia, under which fall the proposal.
    Obamacare? Not so much.

16. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

It is a tax, not a fine, and you have an alternative to paying the tax.

17. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Okay, I'm going to call you a progressive from now on. Lol.

18. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

It's OK -- I know you don't mean it.

19. RedDirtWalker

RedDirtWalker Well-Known Member

Who determines the reason though. I feel it is unreasonable to force people to have health insurance and fine the ones that do not.

20. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Having health insurance is unreasonable?

- - - Updated - - -

The reason behind Obamacare was because us taxpayers get shafted when people go to the emergency room to get treatment and have no insurance and don't pay their bills! That is just one reason why healthcare is so expensive!

- - - Updated - - -

While I am far from an Obama fan, I am not so delusional that I have to oppose every single thing he did. I don't necessarily agree with the mandate, but I can understand why they did it.

21. OrlandoChuck

OrlandoChuck Well-Known Member

Government mandated health insurance with penalties for non compliance, premiums that have become affordable and rising, and creates undo financial stress on small business is unreasonable.

22. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

What premiums are unaffordable? I believe I'm paying about the same amount that I've been paying. Of course, the costs rise from time to time with inflation and the rises in the costs of healthcare which are made more problematic from the sick and uninsured.

23. maat

maat Well-Known Member Past Donor

How are they not shafted more so now when insurance costs have dramatically increase because of OC?

24. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I don't know where you get your insurance, but mine haven't. Then again, I live in MA where there has been a health insurance mandate since about 2006.

25. maat

maat Well-Known Member Past Donor

My daughters family insurance went from 600's to 900's(monthly) this year causing her to have to find full time work to pay it. Before, she was able to work PT and spend more time with her children. My liberal SIL claimed he voted for trump praying he not be struck by lightning leaving the church where he voted. The dramatic increase in health insurance was the last straw for him.