Anybody have a water softener or really soft water?

Discussion in 'Member Casual Chat' started by Kode, Jan 5, 2017.

1. Kode

Kode Well-Known Member

If so, you are familiar with soap refusing to rinse off. I just got a water softener and I found a solution.

Epsom salt is magnesium sulfate. It's also beneficial on the skin. So I dissolved some in hot water and filled a half-pint spray bottle. After showering off the soap as best I could, I sprayed some of the epsom salt solution on my hand and the soap was instantly gone.

Here's what I did to make it simple: I put about 3 or 4 tablespoons of epsom salt in a pint plastic bottle and filled it with hot water. This is my stock solution. Then I got a half pint spray bottle because you won't need more than that, and I poured about 2 teaspoons into the spray bottle from my concentrated stock solution bottle. Then I filled the spray bottle with hot water (you won't want to spray cold water on you) and took it into the shower with me. Spray it on after showering and the soap washes right off. There you have it. Problem solved.

Try it! It works great and I find my method isn't much bother. My stock solution has lasted a couple of months.

2. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

It's not really soap that you feel. It is just hydrated skin that is slippery clean, and a wee bit of sodium bicarbonate.

Soft water leaves you cleaner than hard water but it feels strange.

3. Kode

Kode Well-Known Member

I'm a chemist. It's the soap. Soap (sodium stearate) ionizes in water and when there are no calcium or magnesium ions present in the water to bond with the stearate ion, the stearate ion binds with the amino acid in skin and sticks. It does that anyway but in hard water the calcium ions are able to "overpower" it, bond with it in place of the amino acid, tear it away from the amino acid, and wash it away.

The stearate, when bonded with skin amino acid, is only one molecule thick, and that is enough for it to feel slippery.

Water softener companies have been promoting the idea that there's really no soap remaining and it's just clean skin you feel that is "naturally slippery". They promote this BS as a sales pitch. Their sales go down when people think soft water leaves soap on the skin, which is exactly what it does. But the epsom salt works. I was able to figure out that epsom salt might work becasue I'm familiar with the chemistry involved. And it works.

4. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

5. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

You folks be cray cray. I have lived in areas that had both and the only difference was the hard water places left a metallic taste in my mouth. If you feel soapy, use less soap.

6. Kode

Kode Well-Known Member

7. Kode

Kode Well-Known Member

Usually a metallic taste is due to iron in the water. Did you have iron in your water?

When many people report that water softened by a mechanical/chemical softener leave skin feeling slippery, it isn't very smart to say they're "cray cray."

8. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Fairly sure it had everything in it.
    You need less soap with soft water because you are not having to scrub the hard water gunk off you. They are cray cray because they are using too much soap and then blaming the water.

9. Kode

Kode Well-Known Member

You don't understand the chemistry involved. You need less soap with soft water because much of the soap is lost in hard water as the calcium ions bind to the stearate ions and take them away in the water stream. It's not about scrubbing "gunk" off you. It's about ions and valences. And it's the same ionization explanation as I gave that is responsible for the soap remaining stuck to your skin in soft water.

Why do people want to argue everything?

10. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

Does this help with dry skin? This winter I have had a horrible dry skin problem

11. Kode

Kode Well-Known Member

Sorry, I don't know all the claimed benefits of epsom salt, but I'm sure you could Google it. That is what I would do.

12. Aleksander Ulyanov

Aleksander Ulyanov Well-Known Member

So why not simply disconnect your water softener?

13. Kode

Kode Well-Known Member

We just got it because scale was destroying coffeemakers, dishwashers, and leaving scale on all the sinks, showers, and toilets with the removal requiring chipping it off.

Never had hard water, huh?

14. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

I stopped caring. Best of luck with your salt

15. daisydotell

daisydotell Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yes, epsom salt will help with dry skin, also sore muscles and tired feet. When you get through soaking your tired muscles and sore feet water your plants, they will love it.
    Check it out here.. http://www.epsomsaltcouncil.org