Propaganda

Discussion in 'Opinion POLLS' started by Giftedone, Jan 9, 2017.

?

Who are the biggest purveyors of propaganda and false narrative

Poll closed Jan 16, 2017.
  1. Russia RTnews

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  2. USA mainstream media

21 vote(s)
    91.3%
  3. wikileaks

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. other

1 vote(s)
    4.3%
  1. Giftedone

Giftedone Well-Known Member Past Donor

Apparently the intelligence community does not like wikileaks/Assange. Given that wilikeaks has exposed numerous lies, false narratives and criminal behavior of the State Department, Pentagon,NSA and so on, this is no surprise.

There has also been an attack on RT.News as nothing but Russian Propaganda arm of the Putin.

The US Gov't and Western mainstream media have also been accused as purveyors of propaganda.

What is the feeling of the PF clan ?

2. Fisherguy

Fisherguy Well-Known Member

Let us consider what 20 years of propaganda from Faux News, Rush Limbo, Drudge and Breitbart have done to this country. North Korea must be impressed...

3. webrockk

webrockk Well-Known Member Past Donor

US based? Legacy/Left Media, obviously. Remember JournoList? surely no one believes the hundreds of leftist 'journalists', bloggers, magazine writers and academics who comprised JournoList had a moral epiphany after getting caught. no, they're just more careful.

Too, in any discussion about propagandists, the public school system and universities should at least be mentioned...and let's not forget the oh so 'transparent' federal government.

4. Dispondent

Dispondent Well-Known Member Past Donor

I said 'other' because its the corrupt Obama administration that tells the lame stream media what to report...

5. doombug

doombug Well-Known Member

Obama and the MSM.

6. toddwv

toddwv Well-Known Member Past Donor

It's become glaringly apparent that Russia has been very prolific and prodigious with it propaganda. Russia now has a viable blueprint on which to interfere with US elections and will refer to that blueprint whenever they feel that they need a US government that is more in line with Russian interests.

7. An Old Guy

An Old Guy Well-Known Member

Darn it, no Trump campaign team, no Trump transition team, no Trump.........oops, we'll have to wait for Jan 20 for the administration team. Actually what the Trump teams spew is just lies rather than propaganda. Propaganda requires a bit of sophistication.

8. Giftedone

I did a poor job of separating "USA" which includes the Govt (State Dept, Pentagon, CIA, NSA and so on) from the Media which I meant to do.

These are also part of the big propaganda machine along with the media.

9. Giftedone

You just noticed now ? Russia has been creating propaganda for decades ... as has the US.

The question is who are the biggest ! :)

In addition ... both have been spying (which includes hacking) on each other for years.

The has been far more active than Russia in election manipulation over the years. Israel, Ukraine, Chili, El Salvador, Guatemala, Nicaragua, Syria, Iran .. on and on and on.

Kind of a pot calling the kettle black situation the way Obama and others are whining. Just more propaganda.

10. Pollycy

Pollycy Well-Known Member

I don't trust anything that any of the mainstream media comes out with. Even Fox News isn't fully trustworthy, mostly because they don't place nearly enough emphasis on stories that should be covered in greater depth. But propaganda factories like MSNBC, ABC, NBC, and CBS cannot be trusted at all. The hyperliberal "news" media has become worthless for useful information to anyone with an independent, fact-based mind and a triple-digit IQ....

So, I mostly get my news from selected internet sites. When I bother to watch TV at all, I'll watch Fox News and RT. You'd be AMAZED at what you can learn about how the economy of the world is really run by watching RT!

11. Giftedone

The question was directed more towards the US Gov't and the media. (That individual politicians propagandize is a given). Individual propaganda is different than "State" propaganda - when the state is intentionally trying to hide the truth or misrepresent information to the people.

The question is directed towards whether we are now just as bad or worse than Russia.

12. Hermes

Hermes New Member

I'd put RT and US mainstream news in the same boat. RT just so happens to give far left political figures airtime not because Russia cares about the American left or their issues but because they want to air anything that makes the US look bad. It was obvious from day one. I wouldn't call this "fake news" though. On the other hand, US national media is slanted. They omit information, censor information and editors pretty much choose what's in focus. Ironically, this new obsession with "fake news" is in and of itself subjective reporting.

90% of the media has an agenda one way or another. Anti this, pro that. Liberal this or conservative that. We're all in drastic need of non-partisan objective news. Most of the major "news' networks are incapable of providing this at the moment. I can hardly tolerate it anymore. I'm no Trump fan but the media made this lack of objectivity way too obvious this election cycle.

13. An Old Guy

Trump is now the voice of the "state" - effectively he is the top representative of the US government so his "propaganda" is state (U.S.) propaganda. As to whether the US is as bad or worse than Russia, I'd have to give the nod to Russia as it is an oligarchy and the US isn't an oligarchy (yet). Oligarchies seem to have an incessant need for really well done propaganda and, as a result, become quite good at it, LOL.

14. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Twiddle Dee and Twiddle Dumb finish each other's sentences.

15. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

RT, what I watch on it, allows one to see the men which MSM has blacked out, the counter voices to American gov't propaganda. Men like Ray McGovern, and Dr. Paul Roberts, William Binney and others. This isn't propaganda it's speaking truth to power, which MSM will not do .

RT may use propaganda within Russia, but at least what I watch on RT is not propaganda, unless you want to call americans like I mentioned speaking truth to power propaganda. I relate propaganda to a clever intent to manufacture consent, by nefarious methods, to pass off a lie as fact. The americans who appear on RT, the ones I mentioned, and even Ron Paul are concerned, honest americans with integrity just trying to get some facts out, which MSM avoids. So of course our intel would not be happy with RT.

Most of our propaganda comes from MSM not RT. The people who claim RT is a major propaganda arm for Russia do not watch RT. They are just repeating what they have been told to think, and are not concerned and serious enough about reality to confirm it for themselves.

16. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

So Ron Paul is far left? Dr. Paul Roberts, asst treasury sec, under Reagan, one of the founders of reaganomics, a far leftist? RT gives voice to the men MSM has blacked out. We are getting close to where speaking truth to power is treason.

The man who was given the insider leaks but was blamed on Russia is under a MSM blackout now. Only RT will talk to him. This black out either exhibits the death of journalism, or the CIA told them not to touch it. Given the man was a british ambassador. Ignore him, and do not question our gov't, for they can surely be trusted.

If you get your news from the media instead of tin foil hat sites, you will never hear about ambassador murray. So, relegate him to RT and tin foil hat sites. This looks like a misinformation operation being run on americans. If true, it is a huge story, but looks like it will never be investigated by journalists. Looks like they are a part of the misinformation campaign being run. What else would explain it? Open for some reasonable suggestions.

Personally to me it looks like we have an Orwellian Ministry of Truth.

17. Hermes

Hermes New Member

You're correct. RT also gives right wing people a platform. Mostly people who aren't in line with the mainstream Democrat/Republican agenda but the new "Russia hacking" report mostly focuses on left wing news from RT.

Anyway, our national corporate media pretty much ignores or slanders anyone standing outside of this prefabricated Democrat/Republican box. Then they fan partisan division between Democrats/Republicans on issues of identity or culture. Nothing that will threaten the neoliberal order. It's sad, but RT News does a better job of being objective much of the time and that's why more people watch it because the MSM in America intentionally ignores a wide spectrum of political views. The national media wants everything contained within the prefabricated Democrat/Republican box because at the end of the day the two parties aren't that different when it comes to foreign/economic policy. There are some differences but nothing very substantial.

I remember Ron Paul's 2008 presidential run. The media obviously ignored him and tried to sabotage his campaign. It worked. They tried the same with Trump but it was more amplified. It didn't work. Now they're panicking because they weren't able to control the outcome of the election. They're blaming Russia because their propaganda failed. Clinton was suppose to win.

18. Giftedone

Oligopoly/Oligarchy Potato/Patata. You bring up an interesting point. Russia's media is controlled via the Oligarchy. The thing about Russia is that the people know the media is controlled.

The interesting thing about the US Oligopoly is that for decades the raging masses were, in general, blissfully unaware of how much media control existed.

Rather than label one over the other I judge on the basis of the amount of lies and misinformation being put by either. I do not speak Russian and so have to rely on RTnews - which probably is not real representative of the Russian media in general.

I do speak English and am constantly shocked over the amount of lies and misinformation coming out of the US mainstream media these days (left, right center).

It is not just from the media though. State Dep't, Pentagon, DOD, NSA and so on is a big propaganda and disinformation machine.

At the end of the day I do not really care about Russian propaganda.... I will let Russians worry about that.

What does disturb me to the core is the fact that our Gov't has gone down the same path - just in a slightly different but, more insidious way.

It is interesting that 95% of those responding to the Poll so far believe that we are as bad or worse than Russia.

19. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

Is that why you liberals made 100s of threads that said "Hillary by a landslide" in some fashion?

20. An Old Guy

No, those appeared to be opinion, not propaganda. Sort of like all the anti Obama threads over the years...........

21. Pollycy

Pollycy Well-Known Member

You are so right! And one of the main areas that MSM avoids nearly any useful, enlightening commentary is on the ECONOMY -- probably because it makes so many Democrats and RINO's (and the Federal Reserve System that dictates to both of them) look negligent, incompetent, and generally corrupt.

RT serves us interesting information on the U. S. economy, the Russian economy, AND the entire world-wide economy, too. If you haven't seen any of Max Keiser's programs on the economy, you don't know what you've been missing. I recommend them highly, and believe me, Max doesn't kiss anybody's ass... not Putin's or anyone else's.... Link: https://www.rt.com/shows/keiser-report/

22. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Well-Known Member

I can speak of one great propaganda success. With a republican congress and republican President. People still think the most watched news channel in America is not main stream media.

23. Thehumankind

Thehumankind Well-Known Member

Assange is not a US leader,
    and I believe that all US presidents are really Americans who always defend their very own homeland, mostly if it is the homeland who made them great and succeed to become President. They are not perfect mostly if they have to deal with two ideologies when seated and most of the time pressured with those believers their peers in political belief who tossed them to become one. Believe in your leader and because he is not perfect you can criticize him sometimes but rely on him because he/she is for you.

Assange is just a revealer of something hidden, regardless if it will create chaos or not, something should be hidden of course, that is why the CIA which defended USA causes kept their operation secret.

24. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

Many things that you can certainly blame on Obama. Assuming Hillary is going to win by a landslide is completely different. You're comparing apples to jet fuel