Much MUCH More Obamacare TRUTH

Discussion in 'Health Care' started by Mr_Truth, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

The earlier thread expired due to exceeding the post limit. But the TRUTH about the excellence of Obamacare goes on:

Five Points On Where The Obamacare Repeal Saga Stands Right Now

http://talkingpointsmemo.com/fivepoints/fights-over-obamacare-repeal

Before the holiday break, Republicans were committed to repealing Obamacare. And they wanted it done as fast as they could.

But even as the Senate began to move forward with dismantling the health care system, Republicans returned from the holidays with a sinking recognition that executing an immediate repeal of the Affordable Care Act could trigger a major backlash.

In December, the Urban Institute released a detailed warning of how the insurance market could collapse if Republicans charged ahead with plans to partially repeal the Affordable Care Act through reconciliation -- a process that avoids a Democratic filibuster but is limited in its scope -- without a clear replacement. Even Republican and libertarian health care experts were explicit in closed-door meetings with Republicans that the GOP was taking a huge gamble by repealing Obamacare without a replacement. As it turns out, some of the people who benefited the most from Obamacare are the same ones who voted for Trump and the Republicans. The Washington Post cited a fascinating number: Among poor whites, the uninsured rate has dropped from 25 percent to 15 percent. If Republicans were to pull back that safety net, there appears to be a growing recognition that they would bear the consequences.

The mood of Capitol Hill Republicans now is cautious. When asked about the timeline for repeal, House Ways and Means Chairman Kevin Brady (R-TX) told TPM that it was "to be determined," and would likely come in several steps. There is a new emphasis on doing no harm. Members are urging leadership to be transparent with the American people, and internal disagreements over when to repeal the law, how far to go and what to replace it with are bubbling to the surface.

"Please have hearings in the committees of jurisdiction, and I know that people are in a hurry so if you have to have hearings five days a week and into the night, and on the weekends, then have the hearings," said Rep. Mark Amodei (R-NV). "The legislative branch is supposed to be the transparent one."

What once was a campaign slogan now must be done, but jamming the bill through could come with unintended consequences rank-and-file Republicans are waking up to.

Here are five major tension points that have emerged as Republicans debate their Obamacare repeal plan.

Just a reminder, we aren't even to the hard part yet: how to replace Obamacare.

Should repeal come before a replacement?
    GOP leaders made clear soon after the election their intent to repeal Obamacare right away even if that meant a replacement would not come until later. The idea was to include a transition phase to give them time to cobble together a replacement. But as the risks of this strategy have become more apparent, some rank-and-file Republicans have privately grown uneasy with it. "They are talking about replacing it at some point, but they are operating under the illusion that somehow that we'll be able to put pressure on the Senate Democrats to come to some kind of a replacement because there are going to be issues in their states that need to be addressed," a House Republican, who asked for anonymity to speak candidly, told TPM last week. "I'm not yet persuaded."
    So far, it appears leadership is putting fingers in their ears to their concerns, but a revolt in the Senate, where the margin is slim to pass repeal, is growing. Four senators -- Sens. Susan Collins (R-ME), Rand Paul (R-KY), Tom Cotton (R-AR) and Bob Corker (R-- have publicly stated their discomfort with repealing without a replacement, putting the majority vote needed to pass repeal in danger.

Sen. Rand Paul (R-KY) says he won't support any repeal legislation without seeing a replacement to go with it. "[It] would be best for our country to go ahead and replace it with something that works and repeal at the same time," Corker told reporters Friday, according to a report from the Hill.

Should repeal help pay for a replacement?
    The Obamacare repeal bill passed by Congress and vetoed last year by President Obama immediately repealed taxes that have helped pay for the program. If the new repeal effort eliminates those revenue sources immediately, paying for the replacement plan become politically very difficult.
    Some Republicans have acknowledged that a replacing Obamacare will be costly, and the political hurdles to re-raising taxes after the ACA’s revenue boosters are dismantled is high.

“There are a lot of conversations going on about whether to hold on to some of that to fund appropriate replacements or not, and what the right timing frame is to set for that replacement to be in place,” Sen. Roy Blunt (R-MO) said on Capitol Hill Thursday.

Among the options being considered is delaying Obamacare taxes for the phase-out period, rather than repealing them entirely, so they’ll be available to fund an ACA alternative. Additionally, the Senate bill that will act as a vehicle for repeal lays the groundwork for a reserve fund to capture the money that would be saved by dismantling some aspects of Obamacare.

But even before lawmakers begin discussing the cost of a replacement, how they save for it has become a point of contention. Rep. Mark Meadows (R-NC), chairman of the House Freedom Caucus, which has a penchant for derailing Republican legislation, has suggested that the reserve provisions are a deal-breaker for him (the caucus itself won’t decide its official stance until Monday evening).

Brady, the House Ways and Means chairman, said leadership hadn’t taken a position yet either.

“It hasn’t been decided,” he said.

Chairman of the House Ways and Means Committee Kevin Brady (R-TX) will help lead House Republicans on the repeal process. Another complicating factor is that Sen. Paul has cited the Senate bill’s failure to balance the budget as reason he can’t support it. He met with the House Freedom Caucus on Thursday morning but it was unclear how much of a sticking point that would be.

“People are disturbed by the fact that as conservatives they would be voting for a budget that adds $9.7 trillion to the debt and never balances. So I think there is some concern among conservatives about it,” Paul told TPM.

Should insurers be "bailed out" to stabilize the post-repeal marketplace?

GOP lawmakers are promising a stable transition, but facing an irony that the sort of provisions that would incentivize insurers to stay in the individual market while a replacement is put together are similar to ACA measures they railed against in the Obama era.
    Some Republicans are admitting that they’ll have to temporarily put their disgust with so-called “insurer bailouts” on hold to smooth the dismantling of Obamacare, while others worry that may make them look like hypocrites or are even expressing a frustration that they would need to help insurers at all.

“We can’t just let people go without health care. It’s just that simple,” Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-UT) said last month. “On the other hand, there’s a lot of unrealistic expectations in this thing, too.”

Should repeal defund Planned Parenthood?

House Speaker Paul Ryan (R-WI) last week reiterated his chamber’s intention to defund Planned Parenthood in their Obamacare repeal bill, as was the case in the 2015 “test run” ACA repeal that was vetoed by President Obama. Other Republicans have been less-than-committed to that plan, with HELP Committee Chair Lamar Alexander telling reporters when asked about Ryan’s comments last week, “let’s see,” and “we’re still writing” the legislation.
    Though Senate Republicans were able to muster up the votes to pass the defund Planned Parenthood provision when it was part of the 2015 repeal bill, it’s proven to be a thorny issue for some GOP lawmakers. Collins has opposed the measure, and Sen. Lisa Murkowski (R-AK), who supported the 2015 bill, voted against defunding Planned Parenthood in other legislation.

Should Medicaid expansion be repealed?

Another growing concern for Republicans is what the party will do to help states that have expanded Medicaid using funding from the Affordable Care Act. Republicans were always skeptical of the Medicaid expansion, but more than half a dozen GOP governors eventually expanded the program and senators from red states want to protect their constituents who are benefiting from it.
    The 2015 House repeal bill did away with the federal funding for Medicaid expansion after two years. And in interviews with TPM, it is clear that Republicans from states like West Virginia and Ohio –where Medicaid expansion had drastically lowered the uninsured rate– have an interest in protecting it.

Sen. Shelley Moore Capito (D-WV) is one of the Republicans who has expressed concern about preserving Medicaid expansion in her state. But in 2015– when the the terms of the test repeal bill were being drafted, Republican Sens. Marco Rubio (R-FL), MIke Lee (R-UT) and Ted Cruz (R-TX) fought to make sure that repealing Medicaid was included, and have more recently stated they wouldn't accept anything less than what 2015 bill dismantled.

Says one commentator:

There are two images that come to mind when I think of what the GOP is about to engage in. A sink hold in the desert and/or quicksand. Not sure which one takes you down the fastest but I suppose it's a matter of choice.

Blind hatred for someone and what one does to react to that hatred is never a winning proposition. These folks never got over the Black man being in the WH. Okay, it threw you into a whirlwind.

Now you find yourselves in the position of having to stand true to your word and get rid of a significant piece of legislation that is and has helped millions of Americans. Once the dumb and desperate find out they will be on the receiving end of getting rid of this legislation, they are not going to be quite so jubilant. Go ahead pull the rug out from underneath. When they take that hard fall and find themselves screwed, watch out. A wounded animal can become feral at any moment. Already I'm enjoying this picture.

You've claimed costs, invasion of privacy, forcing employers to go against their religious beliefs to provide healthcare, and misinforming the masses about Planned Parenthood, the list goes on, are part of the reason for wanting to scrap the ACA. But all the time what you want is to line the pockets of corporations regardless of what it costs those who need to be insured. Well go ahead and pull that rug.

People who can least afford it, or who have been denied or will be denied coverage because of pre-existing conditions - by the way - being born is a pre-existing condition, kind of hard to avoid that, will now have to deal with your carelessness and mean spirited actions. But keep in mind there will be a day of reckoning. Actions have consequences.

Republicans know, that unlike the past, they will now be held accountable for the needless deaths of innocents who lack health care. Further, they know insurers may well go bankrupt if ACA is dissolved - politicians of the far right NEVER want to end profits for wealthy elitists who thrive on government handouts while calling themselves free enterprise capitalists. These are among the many reasons why Republicans are hesitant to just end Obamacare without creating a viable alternative to it.

This is why ACA continues to save money & lives every day. :flagus:

2. Mr_Truth

Ryan confronted by cancer patient who says ObamaCare saved his life

Source: The Hill

Paul Ryan faced some tough questions from audience members at a CNN town hall Thursday night, starting with a cancer patient who said ObamaCare saved his life.

Jeff Jeans said he was a lifelong Republican and small business owner who had worked on the Reagan and Bush campaigns and was originally opposed to the Affordable Care Act.

But he said at 49 he was diagnosed with cancer and given six weeks to live.

"Thanks to the Affordable Care Act, I’m standing here today alive," he said. "I rely on the Affordable Care Act to be able to purchase my own insurance. Why would you repeal the Affordable Care Act without a replacement?"

Read more: http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box...cer-patient-who-says-obamacare-saved-his-life

If right wingers had their way, the Republican death panels would kill this innocent person.

3. Mr_Truth

Dismayed Trump voters tweet about losing their Obamacare benefits

http://usuncut.com/politics/dismayed-trump-supporters-obamacare/

Obamacare is popular — not just with President Obama’s supporters, but with many of Donald Trump’s as well. And they really don’t want it repealed.

This past week, Senate Republicans narrowly passed through a resolution calling for the repeal of six key components of the Patient Protection and Affordable Care Act (Obamacare). House Republicans have been instructed to bring forward a repeal bill by January 27 — one week after Trump is officially sworn in as president. it appears that President-elect Trump and both houses of Congress are poised to undo Obama’s signature healthcare reform legislation within Trump’s first 100 days as president.

However, some of Trump’s supporters were particularly alarmed about the possibility of losing their health insurance. Their tweets all have a connecting theme of shock and surprise that the coverage they depend on, which was made possible by Obamacare, could be taken away by the man they voted for:

[MENTION=3512]real[/MENTION]DonaldTrump asking as a concerned mom but PLEASE dont repeal https://t.co/gTkdVKkwtm act my sick daughter NEEDS the low cost ins.

— Terrie Bearden (@cclcdirector) November 11, 2016

Follow
    Lee @DraftCats
    [MENTION=3512]real[/MENTION]DonaldTrump how can you get rid of ACA without any replacement? I voted for you and have expensive preexisting conditions.
    8:03 AM - 12 Jan 2017
    123 123 Retweets 116 116 likes
    Follow
    IWASTAKENOUTCONTEXT [MENTION=2502]bob[/MENTION]klosak
    [MENTION=3512]real[/MENTION]DonaldTrump I voted for you. Why aren't Republicans fighting harder to keep pre-existing conditions?
    3:02 PM - 12 Jan 2017
    87 87 Retweets 88 88 likes
    Follow
    Ultimate Privacy @ultprivacy
    [MENTION=3512]real[/MENTION]DonaldTrump You d-bag. Your making America great again by killing affordable healthcare? Regretting that I voted for you already.
    10:04 PM - 12 Jan 2017
    258 258 Retweets 379 379 likes
    Follow
    Flippy @flippy0001
    [MENTION=3512]real[/MENTION]DonaldTrump Say It AINT SO, Repealing the 26 year old rule and pre existing condition. I voted for you you said you were keeping laws
    3:25 PM - 12 Jan 2017
    109 109 Retweets 106 106 likes
    Some tweets were later deleted, although liberal blog GOPocalypse managed to save them for posterity prior to their deletion. Twitter user Joy Ryman-Snow tweeted, [MENTION=3512]real[/MENTION]DonaldTrump I voted for you. I have Crohn’s and private insurance. I’m 61. I must have pre existing conditions in my insurance plan.” Twitter user [MENTION=67065]Jen[/MENTION]workmail38 tweeted at the person she voted for on November 8, saying “So back to a choice between rent & insurance again now that I know I have serious health issues? Voted for you, now worried.”

4. gc17

gc17 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Saves who money, premiums/deductibles are going up? Certainly not the taxpayers.
    First off Trump has already said that there are parts of obamacare that Republicans will keep, the popular ones like pre-existing conditions.
    Secondly no one thought the repeal and replace would take 5 minutes. Paul Ryan has stated the Republicans would have a bill ready by the end of the year both repealing and replacing. He said "Although he doesn't know how long it will take for the repeal bill and the replacement bill to pass, the GOP will have a replacement plan ready before the year's end." http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/ryan-gop-obamacare-replacement/2017/01/05/id/767070/
    Let's see what happens.

Ndividual likes this.
  5. Mr_Truth

6. Mr_Truth

Republican death panels are on their way:

[​IMG]

VietVet likes this.
  7. Mr_Truth

without a replacement program in place, the GOP is nevertheless prepared to withdraw health insurance from up to 30 million Americans and jeopardize coverage for over 20 million more. While millions will face the prospect of financial ruin, Republicans will condemn tens of thousands of the newly uninsured to needless deaths—every year

http://www.dailykos.com/stories/201...n-for-the-GOP-s-never-ending-war-on-Obamacare

[​IMG]

VietVet likes this.
  8. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Yes, but Trump said he would repeal on day one. Believing anything said by Trump or the Republican congress is a Mug's game.

9. CourtJester

Trump has also said he is going to provide affordable insurance for everyone with low deductables. And Republicans have said they are going to make insurance available to everyone. Of course Ferraris are available to everyone just not affordable for most.

VietVet likes this.
  10. usfan

usfan Banned

I see this as just 'much, much more obamacare propaganda!'

The ACA is one of the nation's biggest boondoggles. It is filled with inefficiency, corruption, waste, & fraud. I was forced to go on obamacare, & saw my premiums double from last year. ..and this for a sucky policy! With only ONE provider as an option! So i have the cheapest bronze policy, with a $6500 deductible, where i pay for all office, prescriptions, & anything, until the $6500 is reached. So how much is this wonderful policy? $2400/mo. That is right.. not a year, like it was before my wife lost her corporate job, but per month. $30k per year! For practically nothing! This is not healthcare, it is madness. Who can afford premiums like this? I would not, even if i could, pay this premium. So my only option is to take the subsidy, or pay the penalty and have no insurance. So i have taken the subsidy, which imo is a colossal waste of the taxpayer's hard earned money, to line the pockets of some bureaucrats, crony insurance companies, or political action committee. NONE of my premium goes to a doctor, or any health care costs, but are all inflated, overpriced boondoggles from a corrupt, inept, political entity.

I don't know ANYONE who thinks obo care is 'wonderful'.. that is just progressive propaganda.. orwellian newspeak, calling something horrible, wonderful.

Ndividual likes this.
  11. gc17

Like I said "Let's see what happens."

- - - Updated - - -

AGAIN, Let's see what happens.

Ndividual likes this.
  12. iamanonman

iamanonman Well-Known Member

What I find most ironic about all of this is that if you had asked me (assuming I've been living in a bubble) which party created, advocated, and executed the ACA I would have said Republicans. The idea of exchanges where insurers compete (theoretically) for business seems like a Republican thing to me. The only viable alternative, in my very uneducated view, is a single payer system or socialized health care. The later seems more like a Democratic thing to me. In those terms I have a hard time understanding what Republicans are so bent out of shape about.

blenkins90 and Sallyally like this.
  13. Mr_Truth

45,000 dead Americans every year due to the Republican"care" holocaust has been over for the 8 years that Obama was in office. This much to the displeasure of the Republicans who screamed out "LET HIM DIE!" at Ron Paul's rally.

Sallyally likes this.
  14. CourtJester

We know what is going to happen!

15. Mr_Truth

[​IMG]

Republican alternative: death panels.

Sallyally likes this.
  16. whinot

whinot Banned

the only people who value obummercare are the ones without jobs. After we get rid of the 30 million illegals, anyone who wants a job can get one. So, getting rid of the illegals solves 2 problems with one lick. Make it a FELONY to be here without permission! Lock UP anyone who hires or shelters illegals, and they'll be gone.

17. CourtJester

Since the Republicans have had eight years to come up with a better idea I think we can pretty much figure what is hoing to happen. Going to have competition across state lines. It will be mandatory that insurance companies offer insurance to those with pre existing conditions but there will be no rules as to how much can be charged. And there will be cheap policies once again because there will be no standards about what insurance actually has to cover. And there will be no requirements for insurance so the emergency room fiasco for those without insurance will be back in full force.

In other words back to the future with a few meaningless technical changes.

18. CourtJester

Yep, all those incredibly well paying jobs that illegal immigrants are filling ( of course on the other hand Republicans claim they are all on welfare ) will be available to Americans who will be rolling in money and able to afford premium healthcare policies.

Note for all those who actually believe that nonsense, I am being sarcastic.

Sallyally likes this.
  19. gc17

So you're saying the barrycare policies are better than what was out there before? How about double the premiums and unaffordable deductibles is better? After barrycare there will still be 30 million without HC coverage, I thought everybody would be insured, another lie.
    Back to the future occurred post barrycare. http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...sits-rise-under-affordable-care-act/26625571/

20. CourtJester

So you actually agree that all the Republicans can offer is nothing.

21. gc17

They offered several plans and your ilk won't listen. I think the Republicans will offer a more sane policy that will not match our total gdp in just a few short years as barrycare would.....

22. Mr_Truth

Trump: ObamaCare plan could take until next year

http://thehill.com/policy/healthcare/317998-trump-obamacare-plan-could-take-until-next-year

Trump on Sunday, though, acknowledged that the work to replace ObamaCare is “very complicated.”

Trump has called for repealing and replacing the law “essentially simultaneously.”

If he sticks by that, pushing a replacement plan into next year could mean delaying passing a repeal bill as well.

Well, we've waited for decades so what's a few years more, right?

23. CourtJester

Yes despite Republican best efforts the ACA was an improvement over what came before. Before the ACA even the Republicans admitted American healthcare was a disaster. Of course like everything else they made every effort to hurt the American people and blame it on Obama but now they have their chance to do good for America and they can't come up with a single idea.

24. CourtJester

No actually the Republucan party could never agree or offer one single idea. And guess what, they can't do it now either. Eight years and the party could not get or develop one single idea that the party could endorse or offer to the American people. And now they are pretending to repeal Obamacare and yet they still can't offer anything better. And the joke is on the poor chumps who actually thought the Republicans gave a darn about America and it's people.

dagosa and Sallyally like this.
  25. gc17

Insurance that doesn't cover anything, strictly limits the doctors you can see, imposes fantastically high deductibles, or costs too much to buy, does nothing to improve access to health care. Nor do insurance plans — like Medicaid — that doctors refuse to accept.

squidward likes this.