+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456
Results 51 to 59 of 59

Thread: Lessons that you learnt so far in your life

  1. #51

    Default

    People don't want advice, they want someone to listen while they talk

    Those who embrace change are generally happier and more successful, - the faster you embrace change the better off you'll be, especially when it's traumatic

    Think bigger picture... always
    Last edited by scarlet witch; Jan 17 2017 at 02:04 PM.

  2. #52

    Default

    I also believe that certain days things go well and certain days
    almost nothing goes well.Like it's fate.Meaning on some days you can't win
    and on others you can't lose.I don't know how to Philosophically explain
    this.I feel it is part of our Fate.

  3. #53

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scarlet witch View Post
    People don't want advice, they want someone to listen while they talk

    Those who embrace change are generally happier and more successful, - the faster you embrace change the better off you'll be, especially when it's traumatic

    Think bigger picture... always
    I don't find that to be very accurate.Of course people love advice.
    Why do you think entire sections of Libraries have - How To - books.
    Human beings are preternaturally predisposed to being lazy.
    Which explains why commercials are so effective.
    Ad Agencies can take a cruddy beer and transform it almost
    overnight.

  4. #54

    Default

    This reminds me... there's always someone to tell you you're wrong

    I think we might be referring to two different things... people love information, advice... not so much. If they did we would have teenagers all over the world listening to their parents.

    Quote Originally Posted by Foolardi View Post
    I don't find that to be very accurate.Of course people love advice.
    Why do you think entire sections of Libraries have - How To - books.
    Human beings are preternaturally predisposed to being lazy.
    Which explains why commercials are so effective.
    Ad Agencies can take a cruddy beer and transform it almost
    overnight.

  5. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by scarlet witch View Post
    This reminds me... there's always someone to tell you you're wrong

    I think we might be referring to two different things... people love information, advice... not so much. If they did we would have teenagers all over the world listening to their parents.
    Advice consists of guidance and recommendations.That preternaturally requires
    Information.Or tried and true information as in wisdom.
    You don't go to a Financial advisor because he's Fashionable.
    But because he's informed.
    Or a Psychiatrist because he doesn't know { is informed as to phobias }.
    BTW ... I'm not so sure People like Information as much as you think.
    If that was so ... then how did Fake News become so popular.
    People like scuttlebutt like little old ladies in the 50's and 60's
    liked to chit chat on their rotary phones all morning long.

  6. #56

    Default

    People love information, the internet is proof of that. Fake news however I believe fall under category "gossip" because most of it is usually scandalous.

    I see advice and information as different, although in some cases closely related. Advice based on opinion/experience and information based on verified research or knowledge.

    I therefore still maintain advice is not what people want when they are crying on your shoulder... they just want a sympathetic ear


    Quote Originally Posted by Foolardi View Post
    Advice consists of guidance and recommendations.That preternaturally requires
    Information.Or tried and true information as in wisdom.
    You don't go to a Financial advisor because he's Fashionable.
    But because he's informed.
    Or a Psychiatrist because he doesn't know { is informed as to phobias }.
    BTW ... I'm not so sure People like Information as much as you think.
    If that was so ... then how did Fake News become so popular.
    People like scuttlebutt like little old ladies in the 50's and 60's
    liked to chit chat on their rotary phones all morning long.
    Last edited by scarlet witch; Jan 17 2017 at 07:15 PM.

  7. #57
    uk england
    Location: South coast of England.
    Posts: 8,046
    Blog Entries: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by crank View Post
    Just wanted to repeat Wrathful Buddha's pearl about dogs.

    They are unequivocally the best creatures on earth. We are always better with them than without them.
    They're a life form with a leg on every corner, emit the weirdest noise from the front end and the most unspeakable of deposits from the other.
    ‘Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it’ Never have truer words been spoken.

    'Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.'

  8. #58
    Location: God's country - the beautiful Pacific NW
    Posts: 25,930

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daisydotell View Post
    Not meaning to put people down but if you have to tell someone you are a Christian, you have failed or your life would be evidence enough. If you don't live it, don't say it. My Father had one of my favorite sayings, "If you can't help someone don't hurt them."

    Have no use for Bible thumpers.
    How right you are and really like your dad's words.....so true.
    "THE WORLD IS FIGHTING ISLAMIC TERRORISM, STARVATION AND DISEASES. BUT DEMOCRATS ARE FIGHTING FOR MEN TO HAVE THE RIGHT TO PEE IN THE LADIES ROOM."

    ~JAMES WOODS ~

  9. #59
    uk england
    Location: South coast of England.
    Posts: 8,046
    Blog Entries: 1

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by daisydotell View Post
    Not meaning to put people down but if you have to tell someone you are a Christian, you have failed or your life would be evidence enough. If you don't live it, don't say it. My Father had one of my favorite sayings, "If you can't help someone don't hurt them."

    Have no use for Bible thumpers.
    There was some religious wacko on one of my previous boards who never missed an opportunity to begin a sentence with 'As a Christian, blah blah.' And he had three kids and made them study the bible, subsequently questioning them on what they'd read. I told him that was a form of child abuse. He also posted that he 'prayed for forgiveness of his sins every night'. I posted back 'Well don't effing sin then; think of the time you could put to better use by not having to pray? I don't sin, and I find it perfectly easy not to: in fact it takes a lot less effort to not sin than the reverse.'
    ‘Make the lie big, make it simple, keep saying it, and eventually they will believe it’ Never have truer words been spoken.

    'Those whom the gods wish to destroy they first make mad.'

+ Reply to Thread
+ Post New Thread
Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456

Similar Threads

  1. Proof that singing Opera can indeed save your life.
    By Statistikhengst in forum Current Events
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: Oct 31 2015, 10:36 AM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last Post: Apr 19 2015, 07:17 PM
  3. Books that espouse your political beliefs that you recommend to others
    By Sanskrit in forum Political Opinions & Beliefs
    Replies: 15
    Last Post: Jul 18 2014, 07:38 PM
  4. Libs, did you have this moment in your life that partially caused you to be liberal?
    By FixingLosers in forum Political Opinions & Beliefs
    Replies: 90
    Last Post: Feb 27 2013, 09:19 AM

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Bookmarks