I hate the DMV

Discussion in 'Member Casual Chat' started by Nightmare515, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Nightmare515

Nightmare515 Ragin' Cajun Staff Member Past Donor

The DMV is the worst thing that mankind has ever created. Here is a short list of things that suck less than the DMV:

Adolf Hitler
    Famine
    ISIS

The DMV's sole existence is to upset you to the point where you lose your mind. That is why the DMV is located directly next to the county jail. Once you lose your mind they can simply transport you next door.

First the DMV is a place where citizens must frequent for various reasons, however, the DMV will not provide anywhere near enough parking spaces for you. So you will be forced to park far away and walk.

Then you will arrive at the DMV and be forced to stand in an information line that is approx 176 hours long so that the lady can tell you to go and fill out some paperwork in order to go stand in another line. Of course you could simply call ahead and ask what paperwork you need prior to your arrival but in order for that simple concept to work they must first actually answer their freakin' phone....at SOME point.

Then you will fill out the paperwork and wait in line until starvation or death sets in and then arrive at the counter. YAY!

The lady will ask you for 24 forms of identification. Why? Because 2 or 3 is nowhere near enough to verify that you are actually who you say you are. Nope that might not be you. You may have stolen that military uniform with your name on it, stolen that military ID, stolen that passport, stolen that drivers license, and stolen both credit cards that all conveniently have the same name on it that matches the one on your uniform. Hey 3 of these ID's even have your picture on it. Well nope, sorry, in the age of makeup artists and photoshop you could make yourself look like anybody.

Oh you don't have that one special form of ID we need? Sorry, the other freakin' 10 that you showed us aren't good enough, you'll have to go home and get the one we need.

Alright great you're back! Alright we just need you to fill out this form. You already filled out a form? We know but we need you to fill this one out as well. Alright. Oh we apologize you aren't a resident of this state? Oh well then you have to fill out this form instead. Why do you need our state license if you aren't a resident? Oh you're from out of state? What brings you to our state?

LOOK WHAT I'M WEARING WHAT THE (*)(*)(*)(*) DO YOU THINK BRINGS ME HERE!?!?

Oh well why don't you just renew your license in the origin state?

BECAUSE IM NOT A (*)(*)(*)(*)ING RESIDENT OF THAT ONE EITHER AND ITS LIKE 2000 (*)(*)(*)(*)ING MILES AWAY

Oh, I see. Alright let's get started.....Oh..sir, I see your license is actually expired.

NO (*)(*)(*)(*), THATS WHY IM HERE

Oh in that case you actually have to fill out this other form for expired licenses. Please have a seat over there and fill out the form and come on back up when you are ready.

Alright, here in our state there is actually a penalty if you let your license expire, do you have a valid reason why your license expired?

I wasn't in the country.

Oh, do you have a valid reason why you were not in the country?

LOOK AT WHAT IM WEARING, WHAT THE (*)(*)(*)(*) DO YOU THINK?!

!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright you're back. Lets see, it looks like everything is in order. Give me one second while I put this information in.

Is the address on your old license still valid or have you moved since then?

WHAT THE (*)(*)(*)(*), YES I'VE MOVED FROM THAT STATE TO THIS STATE....

Alright, now as far as your vehicle registration goes, do you live at this same address or have you moved.

I moved.

Alright, well you will need to update your address for your registration. Please have a seat and fill out this form and bring it up when you are done.

ITS THE SAME (*)(*)(*)(*)ING ADDRESS AS I JUST GAVE YOU, JUST PUT IT ON THERE AND PRINT IT OUT

Alright you're back once again! Alright before we issue you your new updated registration we must ensure that you have valid insurance. Do you have an insurance card on you?

No but I can pull it up though on my phone hold on.

I'm sorry sir but here we cannot accept digital ones it must be a hard copy.

WHAT THE (*)(*)(*)(*) ITS 2017 WHO GIVES A (*)(*)(*)(*) EVERYTHING IS ON THE (*)(*)(*)(*)ING COMPUTER
    Can I use one of your computers?

I'm sorry sir but we cannot allow customers on our computers. No problem though, just bring us back a hard copy of your insurance policy and we'll have your registration printed right up.

Alright you're back again! Looks like we're good to go now. Here you are, new license, new registration. Anything else I can help you with?

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Alright sir have a good day.

!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Now of course my extremely vulgar responses to the clerk were not done out loud but in my head. I am not rude. But I am sure that as of today I am now going to be medically diagnosed with hypertension.

The DMV is the most archaic piece of (*)(*)(*)(*) that we currently have in society. They need to figure out a way to do all of this crap online somehow.

Oh and to top it all off I somehow managed to drop my registration paper while walking the damn Oregon Trail back to my truck. So after searching frantically through all of my pockets and tearing the truck apart I had to walk all the way back and do all of this crap over again lol...

And people wonder why I drink...

2. AnnaNoblesse

AnnaNoblesse New Member

I really didn't have much of a problem at the DMV the last time I went. Sorry you did. I'm only posting here because your rant thread seems unloved and lonely. So I thought I'd give it a little attention.
    A sympathy post you might call this.

- - - Updated - - -

P.s.
    Your rant was humorous :)

3. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

Here in California the purpose of the DMV is to keep the workers at the DMV off of welfare. Most couldn't make it in the private sector.

4. Phyxius

Phyxius Well-Known Member

5. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

Just abolish it without replacement. No need for a license, your license is the fact that you are a human being and not a dog to be caged.

If I die and go to hell I will most certainly wake up in a DMV. I am considering getting all of my licenses up to road train just so I know with certainty I will never have to go back again as long as I live.

6. Nightmare515

The main problem with the DMV is the fact that the system itself is just screwed up. The reason the lines are always so long is because doing even the most mundane and simple tasks are way more complicated than they should be so each person spends like half an hour at the counter while being explained the ridiculous Rubix Cude process of doing something simple like getting a damn drivers license.

I have only ever been to the DMV one time in my entire life where it was an in and out deal. Do you know why? Because the lady behind the counter literally didn't care about proper procedure. It was basically "Sir do you have this or that?" I'd say no, she'd say "Alright screw it whatever, here you go just pay the 50 bucks here's your registration". It was amazing.

Different states have different retarded policies. I remember going through Hell trying to do something at the DMV when just moving to a new place because they required a proof of address via piece of delivered mail from your house in order to even use their damn water fountain. I sat there for 20 mins kindly trying to explain to the clerk that I literally just moved in the day prior and haven't had any mail yet. For some reason the rental contract that I signed wasn't adequate enough for these people. It was insane.

I seriously wonder if the DMV is purposefully made to be a royal pain in the ass on purpose in order to deter identity thieves and illegals from even attempting to go in there for some nefarious purpose.

7. atheiststories

atheiststories Active Member

oh, ho, ho! Mr. When-I-go-to-the-DMV-I-can-actually-talk-to-someone! Well aren't you special?

8. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

What's NOT to love about a place run by our tax dollars, telling us what and when we can and cannot drive our personally owned vehicles, on roads we personally paid for?

9. Falena

Falena Cherry Bomb Staff Member Past Donor

When I was younger I worked at the DMV for an extremely short amount of time.

It was a temp thing that they made even more temp. lol

I go there. The supervisor gives me the licence photo job to fill in till the regular guy returns. Fine. She gives me this speech about this is the area where we can actually take the time to be more friendly, or something like that. She runs me by the process and Im ready.

Im taking pictures and asking people like this, Come here. You like this picture? No? Sit down lets do a redo till you are happy with it. Id redo it till they were smiling happy. I mean those people and I were having a great time and they were leaving waving goodbye happy. This goes on for a while and one day the supervisor chick comes up behind me. I am rolling along spreading happy all over my license area and she puts her hand on my shoulder and said in this Satan like low tone to me, When I said be friendly, I didn't mean that friendly.

I mean, if she wanted me to be a slow, confusing (*)(*)(*)(*)(*), that's all she had to say. I was in it for the money. lol

So it was perfect!
    I was done filling in at the DMV for being friendly and making people happy.

Ill go to AAA for my license photo. They are happy people and give you maps if you ask. lmao

10. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

Can't you do it online?

11. Nightmare515

You usually can if your license hasn't expired yet and/or if you haven't moved out of the state your license was issued in. Some states are cool with just reissuing you their state license even if they know you don't live there anymore, other states won't do it unless you are resident of that state or you at least still live there.

My issue was that I'm not a resident of the state where my license was issued, but I no longer lived there when it expired. I moved to a state that for some logical reason that only makes sense to them, they won't issue you their own state license if your other out of state license hasn't expired yet unless you are a resident of this state. So when I got here I wasn't becoming a resident, I just moved here for work, however, I KNEW that my job was about to send me out of the country and my license would expire while i was gone so before I left I tried to get a new one from this state. They said no not until my current one expires. So when I get back to the US with my expired license they finally allowed me to go through the royal hell that it is to get their own stupid state license finally.

Its a stupid process. A lot of states let the military just get away with having expired licenses because they know how much of a royal pain in the ass it is to move every couple years and not be able to go all the way back home to renew your license. So in turn many states say if you are a resident of our state and in the military and your license expires then it remains valid forever as long as you show your military ID if you get pulled over anywhere in the country. So basically if you are active duty and are a resident of Minnesota (they do this) and your Minnesota license expires and you get pulled over in California they can't give you a ticket for having an expired license as long as you show your military ID. It's basically good for as long as you are on active duty.

I wish everybody did that. The fact that every state has different laws for vehicles is annoying in general anyway which is why a lot of people just drive to another state to register their vehicle to bypass laws that the state they live in has.

I dunno why the hell licenses expire anyway. It's like alright you can drive now here you go, as long as you don't get enough tickets to get your license suspended then it's good for life. It's not like they test you on your driving ability again or anything they just make you re sign paperwork and send you another one. It's just another way for the state to get 50 bucks or so out of people every few years.

12. liberalminority

liberalminority Well-Known Member

they have a state trooper stationed at ours, it is a solid high paying job with full benefits and generous 20 year retirement pension guaranteed by the state

you get all of the respect you could ever want, and have to do very little work but sit at the desk by the door so everyone waits until they get home to flip out on the computer.

the tension is thick there, angry faces, i usually walk with head phones and listen to music.

13. Nightmare515

lol I wouldn't blame them one bit for putting a cop in every DMV office. I'm usually a pretty chill and humble guy but the DMV is one of those pet peeve places of mine that is 100% guaranteed to upset me during every visit. No cop in ours, I just don't have it in me to be rude to anybody so I smile and pretend to be patient and then yes, as you said, go home and lose my mind out of public sight. Actually no I lost it in the truck on the way home THEN went on a computer rant lol

14. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

In FL, you go to the DMV by appointment (either call to make one or go online). Most of the time you can renew DLs by mail. I can't this next time, but it's because it's my first renewal since the REAL ID act was put into effect. Just as well, my current picture was taken in 2003. It's silly that it's still a valid photo ID, IMHO.

15. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

Took me less than ten minutes at the counter to get my new title, registration and plates last week on the truck my brother gave me. He even lowered the gross weight of it in the system to save me a few bucks since I do not plan on hauling tons of coal or horses or whatever in it. Would have been a little faster but for the credit card machine was acting up.

Most of what you can do at the DMV in my state you can do online except new plates or when your eye exam is due.

Not sure how yours is set up but ours you don't even get your ticket until you have your ducks in a row. The door Nazi exams everything, highlights everything you need to sign or check, and makes sure you have all your documentation before she will give you a number to be called to the service window.

16. Nightmare515

Yeah I've lived all over the country in multiple states. Some are much better serviced than others. I've been to places where it's not that bad and I've to places where I literally spent 4 hours in there.

No door Nazi here though which is part of the problem. You wait in line for an hour THEN get to the counter to be told the paperwork you filled out was the wrong form and you need to get out of line and fill out the proper one then wait in line again. There is an "information" desk that you are urged to visit before waiting in the main line so that they can tell you exactly what you need to fill out first and hopefully answer any questions. Problem is that the info line is just as long and they often don't give out the proper info or you didn't explain your situation well enough so you'll wait in that line for an hour then go fill out what they told you then go to the main line and arrive at the counter and get told it was the wrong info.

During my ordeal the other day a gentleman with his wife and who I assume his teenage daughter lost his (*)(*)(*)(*) in there because of this. From his rant I guess he waited in the info line for an hour then got told the wrong info so when he arrived at the main counter and was told they couldn't help him he wasn't shy about telling the clerk where she could go...

He was a bit rude which made me cringe a bit since I just don't have it in me to be mean to people, but I do completely understand his frustration. I mean hell you only ever really go to the DMV for 2 reasons, either to register something or get a license for something. There's no reason why there should literally be 25 different types of forms on the wall....

That dude was livid though, the rant I did in my OP is basically what he did in real life lol

There used to be a DMV on the military base here that streamlined everything because they actually understood that military folks are different than civilians and the whole residency thing and different licenses from all over the place and all that crap is normal. So that place was an in and out deal, took me about 5 mins to get a vehicle registered from start to finish. They closed it down though so now we have to deal with the normal civilian DMV downtown with clerks who aren't as familiar with out of state folks and it has made things much more difficult.

17. Crownline

Crownline Banned at Members Request

Yep, and if you are a AAA member, you can do your DMV business there. Night and day difference. My wife and I and all of our kids are auto club members and all agree the price is worth the dmv service alone, the roadside assistance and towing is just a bonus.

18. APACHERAT

APACHERAT Well-Known Member Past Donor

I'm a SoCal AAA member. When it comes to vehicle registration, etc. I can go to the AAA office and complete the transaction with in 12 minutes and be on my way. They speak English and understand English and aren't going through crack withdrawals. At the liberal run state DMV I have to deal with a half of dozen incompetent people during the process and it takes from 3 to 6 hours. If you speak Spanish, it speed up the process.

19. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

Who the heck has to go to the DMV in this day and age?
    One can do everything online. Except the eye test.

- - - Updated - - -

Hilarious.

20. DarkDaimon

DarkDaimon Well-Known Member

I think Zootopia got it right

[​IMG]

21. dairyair

dairyair Well-Known Member

Yes. But I suppose one has to be under 80.

22. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I do all my registry stuff online. It's great. No lines, no waiting, no annoyances. :) You should try it next time, OP.

23. Phyxius

Phyxius Well-Known Member

But then what would he have to whine about?

24. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

I probably shouldn't point out that our DMV has a drive through window too...

25. Nightmare515

Post #11 explains why I couldn't. Trust me I tried.

Understand that I would NEVER under any circumstances whatsoever go to the DMV unless I literally had no choice. Hell I honestly just rode around with the expired license for awhile and said screw it I'll just play ignorant if I get pulled over. I was willing to risk getting a ticket over spending a day in the DMV lol.

Not the smartest idea where I live though. Being in the military up here and having to deal with the cops will actually get you into more trouble than if you weren't, and I am literally not joking lol