Addicted To Bang: The Neuroscience of the Gun

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by Galileo, Jan 9, 2017.

1. Galileo

Galileo Well-Known Member

"Cocaine, for example, is widely considered the most addictive drug on earth. It does little more than flood the brain with dopamine and block its reuptake (sort of like SSRI’s block the reuptake of serotonin)....

"We do know, from copious amounts of video game research, that first person shooter games release dopamine....

"What does all of this really mean? It means that the reason gun violence continues to rise (and the reason gun control legislation remains so hard to pass) is because we are quite literally addicted to our guns...

"If the reward follows the stimulus by roughly 100-200 milliseconds, it’s sitting in dopamine’s sweet spot. Firing a muzzle loader—for example—would certainly release dopamine, but it takes too long between multiple firings for a significant reward loop to be created. Firing an automatic weapon, though, sits close to the sweet spot—an assault weapon can fire a round every 100 milliseconds. Meaning not only are guns addictive, but automatic weaponry is far more addictive than most....

"The larger point is that if we’re really going to have a high-minded discussion more honest discussion about the role we want guns to play in the future of America, then acknowledging (and further researching) the addictive nature of bang seems a critical place to start."
    http://www.forbes.com/sites/stevenk...ang-the-neuroscience-of-the-gun/#3ec549577bd4

Are you an addict? Could you give up firing your weapons for 30 days without great difficulty?

2. Turtledude

Turtledude Well-Known Member Donor

could you give up whining about our rights for thirty days?

the guy who wrote that article has no education in this field. He has degrees in English and creative writing.

BTW I knew the article was full of crap when he said this

So what do we really know? Dopamine shows up when we take a risk—and firing a gun is always a risk.

so is walking and driving, swimming, flying and playing ping pong. Few people are hurt firing firearms unless they INTEND to harm themselves. in fact, the shooting sports are among the safest of all sports.

3. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

Given the tiny % of people who use their guns for violent crime, the entire premise of this topic is absurd on its face.
    Never mind the fact gun violence has been on a steady decline since 1993.

4. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Dopamine is a healthy secretion in the human brain that produces a feeling of euphoria and well being. Typically this secretion is caused by human actions that are perceived to be beneficial. It doesn't last long and it's not like taking a drug like cocaine that takes the place of Dopamine and must constantly be replaced. Sorry the "gun/Dopamine" argument is DOA. Bowling a strike also causes a Dopamine release but how many criminals are attacking people with bowling balls?

5. Galileo

Galileo Well-Known Member

Three people have responded and have conveniently avoided answering the question.

More research on the matter:

"Like any addiction, the obsessive nature of gun fanatics stems from low self-esteem and the need to be validated... while many gun owners never resort to violence, the pure obsession with owning them is a warning sign that these people are dangers and could cross that line from law abiding to mass murderer at the drop of a dime.... The evidence does not lie, guns are addictive and increase these dopamine levels tenfold in ways other activities do not even come close.... this addiction is made far worse and becomes much harder to treat when you throw in high capacity magazines and assault weapons."
    Gunsense Nation

6. vman12

vman12 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I love to slather myself in Hoppe's #9.

It gives me wiiiiiiiiiiiiiings!

Guns in a can baby!

7. Rucker61

Rucker61 Well-Known Member

"It means that the reason gun violence continues to rise (and the reason gun control legislation remains so hard to pass) is because we are quite literally addicted to our guns."

Gun violence is declining, and the homicide rate is at its lowest rate since the 50s. If the argument is built on an increasing level of gun violence, but gun violence is decreasing, then the argument doesn't hold.

8. vman12

Here I re-wrote it for you. Original quote is above for reference.

"Like any addiction, the obsessive nature of sex fanatics stems from low self-esteem and the need to be validated... while many penis owners never resort to rape, the pure obsession with owning them is a warning sign that these people are dangers and could cross that line from law abiding to rapist at the drop of a dime.... The evidence does not lie, sex is addictive and increase these dopamine levels tenfold in ways other activities do not even come close.... this addiction is made far worse and becomes much harder to treat when you throw in high capacity women and assault dongs."

9. EggKiller

EggKiller Well-Known Member

I have safes full of guns but haven't pulled a trigger in five years. I'm also not inclined to turn my guns in.
    Your science is crap. Stick to global warming you'll fool more people than just yourself.

10. EggKiller

Have you tried a dab or two of Royal Case and Die Lube behind the ears. Women swoon.

11. vman12

I like to Frog Lube my women.

When they heat up it goes everywhere.

12. EggKiller

Hmnn never heard of Frog Lube. Sounds like Kroil. Forget to put the cap on the bottle and that stuff will walk upstairs by itself.

13. vman12

I don't use it on handguns it will crawl up your arms.

Great for the AR15 though. My dirty girl runs and runs and runs.

14. therooster

therooster Banned

I love gun control. I shoot weekly

15. Johnny Brady

Johnny Brady New Member

Personally in the Armed Assault computer game I prefer the "big hitters" like 155mm assault guns and tanks..:)
    And when I'm an infantryman (below), I go into battle fully tooled up with automatic rifle (firing on full automatic of course) with underbarrel grenade launcher, plus an AT or AA missile launcher and a rucksack full of goodies like a satchel charge, grenades, spare missiles etc. Nothing wrong with a healthy interest in guns and weaponry..;)

"Firearms stand next in importance to the Constitution itself. They are the American peoples’ liberty teeth and keystone under independence... From the hour the pilgrims landed, to the present day, events, occurrences, and tendencies prove that to ensure peace, security, and happiness, the rifle and pistol are equally indispensable...The very atmosphere of firearms everywhere restrains evil interference – they deserve a place of honor with all that is good.”- George Washington

[​IMG]

16. Regular Joe

Regular Joe Well-Known Member

I run with the claim that the author is out of his league. Over the last year or so, it's become typical of me to go several weeks between range visits.
    The guns are always nearby, and ready to run, but I'm loathe to burn any more ammo than is necessary to remain competent.
    Please excuse me for retaining my sanity, even in the presence of these evil firearms.

17. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

Your question, based on nonsense, need not be addressed.

18. Crownline

Crownline Banned at Members Request

Hoppe's #9 is an aphrodisiac.

19. OrlandoChuck

OrlandoChuck Well-Known Member

I love the smell of Hoppe's. The wife.....not so much.

20. REALITY CHUCK

REALITY CHUCK Well-Known Member

Okay, I'll answer your question. Yes, I can give up firing my gun for thirty days, in fact, I have not fired a gun for about two years. Your assertion is a load of Liberal nonsense.

If you want some real insight on what it takes to harm another person, I suggest you read ON KILLING by Lt. Col. David Grossman.

21. Xenamnes

Xenamnes Banned

According to the FBI, firearm-related violence is decreasing, not increasing.

Pray tell what question? Whether or not someone who owns a firearm can stand to go more than thirty days without using it in a manner that amounts to recreation and relaxation?

Firearms are a constitutionally recognized and protected right, as stated by the supreme court on at least two separate occasions. It does not matter how addictive they are to certain individuals, unless there is undeniable evidence that those who are experiencing the addiction are the ones going out and committing acts of violence for the sheer fun of it.

22. Xenamnes

Xenamnes Banned

Perhaps your wife is in need of selecting a less offensive brand of perfume if that is the case.

23. 10A

10A Chief Deplorable Past Donor

I am addicted to the bang.

[video=youtube;0HDdjwpPM3Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0HDdjwpPM3Y[/video]

24. Battle3

Battle3 Well-Known Member

:roflol: What a load of crap. Whoever wrote that has never been around firearms, neither has anyone who believes this BS.

25. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

No, I'm not a mythical "gun addict." Your article is just politically motivated psuedo-science. If there was an actual condition as you imagine, then there would be psychiatrists (real medical doctors) treating patients for these "withdrawal" symptoms.

If you were that concerned about making America Great and Safe Again, then you'd be most concerned about the urban thugs addicted to the culture of gang violence.