How does being allowed to carry a concealed weapon

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by archives, Jan 10, 2017.

1. archives

archives Well-Known Member

across State borders make America safer" Currently, it is supposedly a top priority for the new Congress, but I'd love to know how a guy from Louisiana, Alabama, or Texas, which all have high rates of gun violence, makes everyone safer by being allowed to pack his gun in New York, Massachusetts, or Hawaii, which all have low levels of gun violence?

And don't bother to regurgitate all the nonsense regarding the Second Amendment, as we know, no right is absolute, even speech can be regulated, Justice Scalia himself stated in wan't an unlimited right

2. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

So, basically you're comparing rich white liberal states like Massachusetts versus poorer states with large minority populations like Louisiana, to further your gun control argument? Do you have any evidence that looser gun laws in Louisiana, Alabama, and Texas are responsible for the rate of gun violence? I noticed you left off Illinois from your list.

3. archives

Unfortunately, the States with the lowest gun violence are largely "liberal states," even Illinois ranks twelfth, and last I knew, New York's minority population isn't minimal.

Regardless, the question still remains, why should a person from a state with open gun laws be able to pack his gun in New York if New York doesn't want him to? How does it make anybody safer?

4. Jestsayin

Jestsayin Well-Known Member Past Donor

5. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Per the 14th amendment, you are not allowed to deny citizen's rights when they go from one state to the next. From the full faith and credit clause, the records of one state have to be honored by all states.

Basically speaking, if we have free interstate travel, and I'm a law-abiding citizen who has undergone a background check, why should I not be allowed to carry a concealed weapon when I'm travelling in another state. My driver's license is honored in all states, a CCW permit should be honored in all states. It's a matter of interstate travel, which is a federal issue.

6. archives

You have given an example, and as unfortunate as it is, it is only one example, question still remains, how does it make anyone safer if a person from a state that has open gun laws is allowed to carry his weapon in a State that has decided to enforce its' strict gun laws?

7. perdidochas

People with CCW permits commit violent crime at a lower rate than the rest of the population, including police officers. When most CCW permit holders have a concealed weapon, the people around them are safer.

if I have a CCW permit (background check, etc.), why should I lose my privilege of carrying a concealed weapon when I cross state lines? My driver's license and marriage license is honored across state lines, so should my CCW permit.

From my reading, the 14th amendment shouldn't allow a state to abridge my privileges as a citizen of the United States.

AlphaOmega likes this.
  8. archives

Interesting response, but let me ask you, according to the Heller case the only thing that was cleared up was that one could posses a gun in their home for defense purposes, so assuming this defines what conservatives like to call "their right to posses a gun," wouldn't that be the only consideration applicable, meaning the State you are visiting isn't your home. Sounds simple, but if you are applying the equal protection clause of the 14th Amendment is seems fit

And why would one have to travel with a concealed weapon other than working in law or police authority?

9. ButterBalls

ButterBalls Well-Known Member

You were just TWO letter away from having your answer. You just needed to narrow it down a little!

It provides the individual and his immediate family a greater level of security! If the need arises and the armed citizen feels obliged they could assist another American in trouble.

10. Jestsayin

Jestsayin Well-Known Member Past Donor

Each state sets their own laws for getting a permit. Much like driving a car.

11. archives

"People with CCW permits commit violent crime at a lower rate than the rest of the population," do you have any proof of that claim?

Your marriage license crosses State lines because no one cares, the same with your driver's license, but obviously if a State has taken the effort to pass laws banning concealed weapons, they do care about the issue

And I got to believe the 14th Amendment applies as the Supreme Court has defined the right to posses a gun, which according to the Heller Case means in your home to defend yourself, so, no, one State can abridge the privilege you have in another State

12. ButterBalls

ButterBalls Well-Known Member

I have never really had a reason to carry although I have every legal right to do so here. To be honest, after this last election cycle and the acts of violence I have seen within the Democrat, liberal and progressive cultist I have been seriously rethinking the option!

13. archives

If safety was really the concern, the individual shouldn't go to the State that they feel they need to carry a weapon

And the citizens in the State you are visiting obviously feel that their need is for you not to carry the weapon, they feel safer if you didn't, and it is their State

14. Josh77

Josh77 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Why would you NOT travel with a concealed weapon?? When I have my wife and four daughters with me, it is MY responsibility to protect them, not some law enforcement officer. By the time they become involved, I could be dead, and my daughters raped or kidnapped. The defense of one's family is every man or woman's responsibility, or preferably both. The world is filled with too many crazy people to not take personal defense seriously.

15. archives

And each State has their own laws covering possessing of a gun in public, why should those individuals where carrying a gun is legal be able to visit a State where carrying a gun is illegal carry their gun?

16. Josh77

Because no force on earth should be allowed to decide I do not have the right to defend my family. That is what the 2nd Amendment is for.

17. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

Responsible armed people are better able to protect themselves and others than unarmed people. That's it in a nutshell. If someone had drawn a weapon and killed the San Bernardino shooters when they first started their massacre, would you care if that person held an out-of-state CCW permit instead of a CA permit?

18. PARTIZAN1

PARTIZAN1 Well-Known Member

Funny how both sides of the gun control argument make illogical and unsubstantiated claims in support of or against gun control. For example a gun control zone zone neither prevents nor causes gun violence. Anti gun freaks have the fantasy thatbit does. The partisan bent pro gunners blames liberals and democrats for the gun violence in Chicago. The anti gun freaks blame the NRA. Both sides are screwed up royally. .

19. perdidochas

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers.cfm?abstract_id=2814691

p. 15
    You don't follow the history of marriage much. The big controversy over Loving (interracial couple wanting to get married) was partly based on the way that marriage licenses are valid across state lines. It was also an element in the recent gay marriage controversy.

Of course people care about driver's licenses, otherwise they wouldn't be required. Also, all fifty states allow citizens to either carry concealed without a permit, or they issue permits.

The word is privilege, not right. Also, there

20. archives

That is your opinion, but why should your opinion on guns supersede that if people that have decided to ban guns in open in their State?

And personally, I don't a gun to protect my family, don't own one, don't want one, see no need, and before you start generalizing, I did qualify on six different weapons in the Army

21. PARTIZAN1

PARTIZAN1 Well-Known Member

I agree but the issue was gun carrying accross states lines. Someone from California who was armed could have killed the two Muslims in San Bernadino. .

22. perdidochas

Well, driving in Florida, I wish that people from NJ weren't allowed to drive here. I'd feel safer if they didn't......

23. sawyer

sawyer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Having my concealed weapon wherever I go may not make America safer but it makes me safer. I visit California regularly because my ageing mom lives there and I hate feeling naked down there as I'm forced to disarm. I'm looking forward to this proposed law being implemented.

24. Josh77

I bet you will want one if men armed with guns break into your house and try to harm your family. I sincerely hope that never happens to you. Good luck.
    As far as time in the Army, I don't know how many firefights you have been in, but I can guarantee you if you step into one without a gun, you lose.

25. perdidochas

There is no state in the union in which it is illegal for all citizens to carry a concealed weapon. Every state has a provision to issue a CCW permit, even NY. SInce all states allow for CCW, then all CCW permits should be recognized for people travelling in a state. A FL CCW permit is recognized in Pennsylvania (interstate agreement). Why should it not be legal in NJ, or more specifically, why shouldn't I be allowed to drive through NJ and NY to get to Maine (where my permit is recognized) from Pennsylvania?