Morocco 'bans the sale and production of the burka'

Discussion in 'Middle East' started by Space_Time, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Space_Time

Space_Time Well-Known Member

Will this reduce extremism? Will it mean very much since burkas aren't often worn in Morocco? Does it violate women's freedom of expression?

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-africa-38574457

Morocco 'bans the sale and production of the burka'
    8 hours ago
    From the section Africa
    Two women wearing the niqab walk on the beach in CasablancaImage copyrightAFP
    Image caption
    Morocco has not made any official announcement on the policy
    Morocco has banned the sale, production and import of the burka, according to local reports.
    Letters announcing the ban were sent out on Monday, giving businesses 48 hours to get rid of their stock, the reports stated.
    There was no official announcement from the government, but unnamed officials told outlets the decision was made due to "security concerns".
    It is unclear if Morocco is now intending to ban the garment outright.
    A high-ranking interior ministry official confirmed the ban to the Le360 news site, adding that "bandits have repeatedly used this garment to perpetrate their crimes".
    Guide to Muslim headscarves

The Islamic veil across Europe
    The burka, which covers the entire face and body, is not widely worn in Morocco, with most women favouring the hijab, which does not shroud the face.
    Women in Salafist circles, and in more conservative regions in the north, are more likely to wear the niqab, which leaves the area around the eyes uncovered.
    The decision has split opinion in the North African kingdom, led by King Mohammed VI, who favours a moderate version of Islam.
    The burka is not popular in Morocco. Pictured: Women in Afghanistan wearing burkas
    Hammad Kabbaj, a preacher barred from standing in parliamentary elections in October over his alleged ties to "extremism", denounced the ban as "unacceptable", mocking the "Morocco of freedom and human rights" which "considers the wearing of the Western swimsuit on the beaches an untouchable right".
    Meanwhile. the Northern Moroccan National Observatory for Human Development said it considered the measure an "arbitrary decision that is an indirect violation of women's freedom of expression and wearing what reflects their identities or their religious, political or social beliefs".
    But Nouzha Skalli, a former family and social development minister, welcomed the ban as "an important step in the fight against religious extremism".

2. MGB ROADSTER

MGB ROADSTER Banned

Many Muslim Arabs from the Middle East travel to Morocco for Sex.
    I have heard that the sex industry there is so developed , Morocco is called "Little Thailad".

3. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Sort of like Israel.. although I think Israel has more brothels and gays.

4. slackercruster

slackercruster Banned

OP, don't know. But good for them.

Hil you are (*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) right I am Islamicphobic...I want to keep my head.

5. MGB ROADSTER

MGB ROADSTER Banned

This thread is about Morocco.
    Who mentioned Israel ?
    Why are you obssesed with Israel ?

6. DennisTate

DennisTate Well-Known Member Past Donor

The Prophet Joel predicted that a time was coming when
    the Ruach ha Kodesh would be poured out...... apparently first on the nation of Israel.....
    and Israel might well become rather utopian before just about any other nation.

Margot2 does have a good point that the Chosen People do have to
    be prepared to deal with our own hypocrisy. (I am actually very interested in becoming part of the
    Noahide Movement, if it is possible to be a Noahide as well as a Christian, which I do think is possible).

I believe that this is a great move by Morocco and it should be rewarded.....
    by the western democracies.

7. Thingamabob

Thingamabob Well-Known Member Past Donor

There is prostitution in virtually every Arab country.