The tread where we complain about Facebook

Discussion in 'Music, TV, Movies & other Media' started by Ritter, Jan 11, 2017.

1. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

There is alot of annoying things about Facebook so I decided to start a thread where we can post and discuss what annoys us with the site, recent bans, warnings and other such stuff. Also about do-gooders, selfie-posters and anything inbetween. Whatever there might be that annoys you. :)

I - just a few moments ago - recieved a "reminder" that I recently had liked a post of a site (Liberty Menes) and that I should be aware that any of my friends can see the posts that I like. I suppose the connitation was that "bohoo it might offend someone." My response was going on a like rampage at that page. Stupid site is not going to dictate my behaviour! :mad:

Ugh. F*ck you Facebook. :D

2. ArmySoldier

ArmySoldier Well-Known Member Past Donor

Facebook is a privacy NIGHTMARE

3. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

Grammar Nazis beware: I know it is spelled "thread". Sorry for typo.

4. smallblue

smallblue Well-Known Member

I've already put your mistake on my wall and now it is trending.

5. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I'm one of the few people who has never had a Facebook, although I thought about it. After hearing people complain about it, I decided not to.

- - - Updated - - -

I was going to say . . .

[​IMG]

6. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

My main problem with facebook is that they allow too much profanity and insults in their posters. They aren't censoring enough, based on reports.

In terms of the site itself, I have few problems with it. I can determine my audience and what I see on it. It saved me having to go to Class reunions.

- - - Updated - - -

Not if you decide what you want to share, and who can see it. It's pretty easy to lock your Facebook account down.

7. cjm2003ca

cjm2003ca Active Member

me too..waste of time..if i want someone to know what i am doing i will call them...as far as i feel only losers use fakebook...

8. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Well, I don't really think they are losers. It's just not something I'm into.

9. crank

crank Well-Known Member

From my limited exposure, it strikes me as a nothing more than a stage upon which many of the users parade their 'perfect lives'. Very carefully choreographed and managed content. I find it kinda repulsive, and a little sad. The few users I've seen who use it purely for the sharing of pics and non-personal information, seem to have it working to its best capacity.

10. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

There are actually studies linking frenetic status updating, selfie-posting and other types of like-fishing and attention seeking to narcissistic personality disorder. It is all about getting that dopamine kick in your head.

This especially applies to the slactivist do-gooders who after any terror attack or natural disaster have to show all their friends they are the most benevolent and caring of all by thinking posting "#prayfor" or a flag on your profile picture is to show solidarity lulz.

Perefect example of this was this girl on my Facebook, she was pretty early on putting the French flag on her profile following the attacks last year. The likes and cute comments poured in, but then everyone else started to put the flag on their profile too, stealing all the likes and cute comments from her. Desperate to show she was still the most good-hearted of all her friends, she put up the Lebanese flag on her profile (apparently tnere was some attack in Lebanon too) - "you only care about white lives, but I care about Arabs too!" Lol.

:puke:

11. ArmySoldier

Please tell me you're joking about the "privacy" settings. Because if you aren't, I have some sources you need to read. I assume you're joking though.

The only way to be remotely close to "secure" on facebook is to use an alias and never mention any locations near you. You can also use VPN services to bounce around the pipeline to reroute your location.

Ask anyone in cyber security knows how hilarious the term "privacy settings" is on Facebook.

12. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

I wouldn't know. I was too smart to ever sign up. :D

Young people now consider Facebook the old peoples, and especially the middle-age-women's hangout.

13. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Well, I'm not too worried about the data I have on facebook (nothing that I wouldn't tell my Mom, nothing about location until after the fact, no financials), so it's secure for the purpose. I can decide who can and can't read my direct posts.

14. ArmySoldier

You cannot decide who can and can't read your posts. You think you can.