Trooper ambushed and shot, passerby shoots attacker, and saves life of trooper

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by OrlandoChuck, Jan 12, 2017.

1. OrlandoChuck

OrlandoChuck Well-Known Member

Thank god for good people that care enough to get involved. Law enforcement are under siege like never before.

TONOPAH, Ariz. (KABC) --
    An Arizona trooper trying to help a motorist in a rollover crash was shot in an ambush-style attack by a random suspect, who was then fatally shot by a Good Samaritan driving by.

The trooper with the Arizona Department of Public Safety (DPS) was at a traffic stop when he received a report about a driver whose car was shot at near a median at milepost 81 on Interstate 10, reported ABC15, an ABC affiliate in Arizona.

The trooper left the traffic stop to investigate this call when he came across a rollover crash and saw that a woman had been ejected from the wreckage.

When the trooper began working to block lanes, a suspect came from an unknown direction and "ambushed" him, according to DPS.

The suspect shot him at least once in the chest-shoulder area and fought the trooper to the ground.

A passerby saw the fight unfolding and stopped to render aid to the trooper, who asked for help.

However, the suspect ignored the Good Samaritan's orders to stop attacking the trooper.

That's when the passerby went to his car, grabbed a gun and fatally shot the suspect, reported ABC15.

DPS said the injured trooper, who has been with the department for 27 years, was taken to an area hospital, where he was awaiting surgery. He is in stable condition.

The woman who was ejected in the rollover crash died from her injuries, authorities said. The cause of the wreck was not known.

DPS Col. Frank Milstead said he has yet to speak to the passerby, but he had this message for him:

"Thank you because I don't know if my trooper would be alive today without your assistance."

The incident was under investigation.

http://abc7.com/news/az-trooper-shot-in-ambush-attack;-good-samaritan-kills-gunman/1699112/

2. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member Past Donor

Thanks for the thread! I have been in some form of law enforcement most of my adult life and been associated with many law enforcement organizations both in operations and education. I can tell you with certainty that the bulk of the LEOs I have dealt with appreciate the efforts of law abiding citizens to take responsibility for their own personal protection and by proxy the protection of others. I believe the law enforcement community as a whole is solidly on the side of the pro-gun citizens, this article makes that case!

3. Rucker61

Rucker61 Well-Known Member

How many bystanders were killed by the shooter on purpose or by the citizen by accident?

4. Cdnpoli

Cdnpoli Banned

We knew eventually there would be a backlash against the police, and it looks like the people are getting tired of getting beaten and shot by police because police are scared of people.

5. vman12

vman12 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Gives new meaning to the term drive by shooting.

EDIT: Don't leave your gun in the car folks. CARRY IT.

- - - Updated - - -

Pathetic.

Backlash for what exactly?

6. vman12

Democrats support anti-gun measures and pro-criminal organizations because for many of them it's their friends and family members out doing the crime.

7. Rucker61

So the way to make police less afraid of people is to shoot them?

8. Cdnpoli

Cdnpoli Banned

If I were American I'd be scared too. This is what happens when you have an obsessive gun culture.
    Nobody trusts anybody and everybody fears everybody,.

9. Rucker61

So it's the obsessive gun culture that causes criminals to act the way they do?

10. Cdnpoli

Cdnpoli Banned

I can tell you don't want to have an honest discussion about this. If anyone here wants to look at both sides of this instead of one, let me know.

11. Rucker61

It's that the anti's keep pointing to different causes. Why do you think it's the obsessive gun culture, how would you define "obsessive gun culture", and how long has the US had an obsessive gun culture? If not since Founding, what was the crossover point?

12. vman12

So a guy that intentionally decided to ambush and kill a police officer trying to save someones life is, in your opinion, the fault of the gun?

Did the gun possess him when he picked it up?

13. Cdnpoli

Cdnpoli Banned

Why is their people ambushing cops? How did you get to this point? Wanna talk about it or will you just blame it on criminals being criminals

14. vman12

There are people ambushing cops because they hate the police, the law, and the enforcement of law.

That and they want to kill people.

15. Small Town Guy

Who knew there would be a backlash against police, just so we know from where you speak. What people are getting tired of getting beaten and shot by police because police are scared of people if we may know your source?

16. Small Town Guy

Well you are not American...and we are not scared and we are obsessed with our freedoms not just guns. I trust lots of people and I don't fear everybody, just where do you get your information? You seem misinformed, eh?

- - - Updated - - -

sure, tell me your side

17. OrlandoChuck

OrlandoChuck Well-Known Member

What does the law abiding citizen gun culture have to do with criminal behavior?

18. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Of course not. Just another absurd liberal anti police post. :roll:

19. Doofenshmirtz

Doofenshmirtz Well-Known Member Past Donor

There was going to be a death that day. Those that support gun control are on the side of the cop dying and the criminal living to kill again.

20. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

It's disgusting when people try to justify cop killing.

21. Xenamnes

Xenamnes Banned

How does a culture that is supposedly obsessed with firearms, in any way lead to police officers engaging in corrupt and abusive behaviors against the public?

22. Xenamnes

Xenamnes Banned

Why are there individuals who have concluded that it is an example of sound judgement to ambush anyone? How did the society of the united states get to the point where random, unprovoked assaults against others were determined to be an acceptable course of action to engage in?

23. Xenamnes

Xenamnes Banned

What of when even police officers are disgusted with fellow police officers not being held accountable for their own corrupt and violent behaviors?

24. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Regardless, there is no excuse for murdering cops or anyone for that matter, unless it's self defense. And was this particular officer in the OP guilty of any wrongdoing?

- - - Updated - - -

Thank goodness, someone was concerned enough to get involved. Too many times people would not bother to stop and help.

25. Cdnpoli

Cdnpoli Banned

There is no excuse for police brutality either, maybe if the good cops spoke up and police divisions got rid of the bad officers this wouldn't be becoming more common