How this Disney movie teaches the barbarism of hunting

Discussion in 'Other Off-Topic Chat' started by Balto, Jan 13, 2017.

1. Balto

Balto Well-Known Member

Over my break, I thought I would offer some insight for your eyes to read.

When I was little, it was one of my favorite films growing up, and has influenced me in my craft and its niche, as well as planted the seeds for my love of canines. Now, I don't much care for Disney, because of their track record of exploiting adolescents for capitalistic gain, but this fictional film not only inspired me, but taught me how barbaric hunting is. The film, "Fox and the Hound," deals with a hunter named Slade, who endlessly attempts to kill the fox, Todd, simply for being an annoyance. The Widow Tweed, who rescues Todd as a cub, attempts to protect Todd from being gunned down by Slade.

As I grew older, I was able to see the moral lesson in this film. And its one that can be shown, and learned by kids through animated fiction. Hunting is a barbaric act devised by mankind, and when humans are addicted to the dopamine rush that comes with killing their prey, they often will go through almost anything to get the fix. In other words, this Disney film exposes the bare bones of hunting: to kill for self-pleasure. This film serves a purpose aside from classic Disney fiction,, and the kindness canines, in nature, possess. It teaches that hunting is one of the lowest of the low activities one can participate in when it comes to morality. Let alone the absence of value in hunting.

Disney may be for children, but the lessons are for all ages.