Finnish politician on trial for hate speech

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by Ritter, Jan 14, 2017.

1. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

Leader of the youth fraction of Finnish nationalist party, True Finns has been prosecuted for "hate speech" after criticising Islam in a series of Facebook posts. The posts consits of things like "Islam is a threat against the Western lifestyle." and "Muhammed was a paedophile."

Not too controversial, one might think. But in Finland (and Sweden) these kind of expressions fall under a law roughly translated to "agitation against ethnic/religious community", a law unique for the two Scandinavian countries that makes prosecution for, seemingly innocent, rants like this one possible.

What do you think: Are these posts really racist? Is it really hate speech or controversial at all? Should it possible to be prosecuted for talking/writing? Is freedom of expression now threatenned in a region famous for being 'free and open'?

Source:http://yle.fi/uutiset/osasto/news/tears_as_finns_party_politicians_hate_speech_trial_begins/9399040

2. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

Islam is incompatible with Western values & is a threat to our culture. To say so is not hate speech, but a fact!

I have gay friends that worry about being thrown off tall buildings and women friends that are concerned about the rape and degradation of women rights that we in the West hold so dear because of the Islamic cultural spread within Europe. these fears are not unsubstantiated. Most Mulims in Europe want Sharia imposed over our own Christian heritage based laws.

Why the powers in place want continued Islamic immigration into Europe can only be guessed at. Do they want to see the destruction of our Christian based society and replaced with an Islamic society? How knows?

But the right to say what you think and feel about the forward travel of your own society should be a right. No one has asked the people of European Countries do they want their culture to be swapped by massive waves of immigration from Cultures that are not their own.

Imigration should be based upon importing the best people from around the World that match the needs of the host Country and at a level that the immigrants can assimulate into our Culture. Rather than mass waves of immigration that tend towards ghettos of isolated culture.

I grew up in a suburb of Birmingham, England & from the 1970s I saw an increasing growth of ghettos developing where the cultures grew apart. Now there are areas of Birmingham that are no go areas for white people. If you ever dare to visit these areas you are spat upon and called a "white b'****" and are threatened to have your throat cut. This is the legacy of uncontrolled mass immigration.

To tell this truth the liberal left will label you as a facist or Islamophobic... But it is the truth and the folly of the liberal left.

3. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

They were the 'sleepers', now they're being woken up. No wonder they have such contempt for the west, and we deserve that contempt for not seeing the writing on the wall 3 decades ago instead of which we opened the (*)(*)(*)(*)ing floodgates to them. [​IMG] :wall:

4. HonestJoe

HonestJoe Well-Known Member Past Donor

The article says he is “accused of threatening, slandering and insulting Muslims based on their religion.“. It doesn’t refer to any of his posts though so we don’t know what statements (and in what context, which can be relevant) are actually the subject of the charges. Even if the quotes you offer are part of it, we can’ make judgements without being aware of them all.

5. RiaRaeb

RiaRaeb Well-Known Member Past Donor

Where specifically are these areas white people dare not go?

6. HonestJoe

Good question. I’ve been told here about parts of London being the same way… while I was living (happily and unharassed) in one of them.

7. RiaRaeb

Guess he couldn't name one, must of been a mistake!

8. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

Imo it does not really matter. I think no words should be illegal. I am a principled fan of free speech.

Sticks and stones and all that.

9. HonestJoe

You asked more than just whether any speech should be illegal though. You also asked whether the posts by this individual were racist, hate speech or controversial. To answer those questions, we’d need to know all he wrote, not just your carefully selected excepts.

For your suggesting that absolutely no speech should ever be illegal I agree the specifics of this case aren’t necessary, though any hypothetical public statement could be and asking only in the context of relatively mild statements which you might generally agree with is flawed.

10. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

11. RiaRaeb

12. lunecat

lunecat Active Member

I have been spat on in Sparkbrook and reported it to the Police. The Muslims that spat at me made it clear that I as a white man was not welcome in Sparkbrook.
    MOD EDIT>>>RULE 2<<<

13. billy the kid

billy the kid Well-Known Member

This is how a country collapses to islam.
    They get suckered in by political correctness, followed by multiculturalism, followed by victimology, and last but
    not least dhimmitude and taqiyya...add them all together and you get the sewer called islam...
    Oh, and dont forget, if you criticise islam, youre an islamaphobe.....pft....

14. glloydd95

glloydd95 Well-Known Member

Unless he was attempting to urge people to commit violence against Muslims or slandering Muslims with specific acts that are untrue, it really doesn't matter.

15. Ole Ole

Ole Ole Banned

The illegal immigration is welcome in Sweden. I prefer to vote on Left Party next election.

- - - Updated - - -

I wants only illegal immigration like USA with new leader.

:flagus: :clapping:

16. Dialectical Kitten

Dialectical Kitten Member

That's a good thing. These posts are absolutely racist and he needs a time-out. I hope they'll make him do some community work in the Muslim community so he learns a bit about the world. Maybe it'll change his mind.

17. JakeJ

JakeJ Well-Known Member Past Donor

Fascism is rampant in Western Europe. That is one reason they want to import so many subscribers to Islam, because the much of the practice of the ideology of Islam socially and in values is fascism.

18. ThirdTerm

ThirdTerm Well-Known Member

The amount of the fine to be paid to the state is only 300 euros, which was a very lenient punishment appropriate for a misdemeanour offence such as a traffic violation. Sebastian Tynkkynen should pay it off and get over it.

19. Skypiercer

Skypiercer Member

And again people are prosecuted for truth. Is there anyone who can reject these accusations of him? He just stated his opinion which happened to be true. Maybe, there were other statements by him more offensive?

20. cerberus

Which rather begs the questions - how long were you living in them, and how frequently did you venture out into the community, and during what hours?

21. RiaRaeb

No it rather begs the question, how long have you been in these areas? I lived in Peckham rye for six months, worked all across London. Then had engineers working in pubs in every part of London. Then when I became National Manager, pubs in every city of the country with depots from Inverness to Camborne.

22. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think that if history teaches us one thing, it's that the oppressed quickly become the oppressors. In the interest of preventing any return to WWII style industrial racism, we are willing to do anything, including abridging the liberties of innocents.

I think most of the world gets free speech and its limits wrong. The US is a notable exception.

23. HonestJoe

About 15 years living and working within sight of East London Mosque. Walked past the back of it pretty much every day for work and in the evening going out and coming home. There were a couple of decent restaurants down there where we'd go for a nice curry and a couple of Tiger beers. :)

24. cerberus

Apart from the amplified calls to prayer at a squillion decibels from the mosque every day, it sounds the kind of place I wouldn't mind living in. I presume it was quite recently, though, and not 20 years ago? I mean things would have changed a bit in 2 decades, if you know what I mean??

25. HonestJoe

The call to prayer wasn&#8217;t that loud. If you noticed at all it was background noise along with traffic and overflying aircraft.

Given I lived there for a 15 year period, that will have started almost 20 years ago and I honestly don&#8217;t see what you mean by things changing in the past two decades specifically relating to the Muslim population. I think that&#8217;s one of the misnomers held by people without first-hand experience. While international politics will shift back and forth all the time, normal people (including Muslims) will generally just get on with their day-to-day lives regardless.

It is in general a pretty run down area (though slowly improving) and frankly I wouldn&#8217;t have chosen to live there if it hadn&#8217;t been cheap and close to work. My only point here is that it isn&#8217;t a &#8220;no-go area&#8221; by any realistic definition of the term.