Reparations

Discussion in 'Opinion POLLS' started by ChrisL, Jan 15, 2017.

?

Do you agree with reparations?

Poll closed Mar 16, 2017.
  1. Absolutely not! No reparations!

82.3%
  2. Yes! Hooray for reparations!

5.2%
  3. Other (please explain)

12.5%
  1. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I've read a little bit about reparations lately. How do you feel about reparations? Do you think black people should receive reparations for slavery at the modern day taxpayers expense? What would the requirements be if you do feel reparations are in order?

My own thoughts are no, they should not. First of all, most of the people living today were not living in this country during the times of slavery and most people did not even own slaves anyways. Most people were too poor to be able to care for a slave along with their own family members and perhaps even extended family members.

So . . . make sure to vote in the poll. Thanks. :)

DennisTate likes this.
  2. Pollycy

Pollycy Well-Known Member

If these "reparations" would be those that Italy should pay to all persons of German descent, then YES, reparations should be paid immediately!

Why? Because the Roman Empire invaded Germania, murdered Germans and sacked numerous German towns and villages. And, they took thousands of German SLAVES! Now, damn it -- I demand reparations from the Italians even though no Italian alive today had any direct connection to anything that the Roman Empire did. Italians are here, and Italians are handy -- so, let's stick it to them! My ancestors were German, and I want my money!

SOMEBODY is guilty, even if we have to go far back into history to shovel guilt on somebody. Does this sound a little bit similar to other stupid "reparations" talk you've heard, especially during the Obama years...?

Interesting footnote: Black Africans were the ones who sold other Black Africans into slavery. Why not demand "reparations" be paid by today's Black Africans to Black Americans...?! If anyone is guilty of starting the crimes of Black slavery, surely those persons will be found in AFRICA... even though they've been dead for centuries....

Fatman, Telekat and ChrisL like this.
  3. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Thanks for your reply and your vote! Nice sarcasm there too! Let's not forget too that lots of people (Caucasian people included) who were slaves at one point in history. The world was a different place back then.

4. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

I'm bumping my poll. Don't be lame! Vote in the poll.

5. PrincipleInvestment

PrincipleInvestment Well-Known Member

This is the type of obsurd fantasy that liberal universities promote. I've little doubt that your poll, on MLK day no less, will receive a lot of attention ...

6. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Thanks! If it doesn't have to do with Trump or Melania or Hillary or sex, it's probably not going to be a thread that is paid much attention. :laughing:

Fatman likes this.
  7. vman12

vman12 Well-Known Member Past Donor

How much do the descendants of William Ellison owe?

- - - Updated - - -

There were black AMERICAN slave owning breeders like my post above.

8. RichT2705

RichT2705 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Absolutely not.
    We don't punish for the sins of the father here.

9. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

Over the years, I've moved towards considering that position. Not because it will provider either justice or closure, it won't provide either. Black people who are still seething about slavery now will be seething about it after they receive their checks. But it will allow us to move public policy away from policies that are absurdly racist and unconstitutional; I'm talking of course about Affirmative Action and racial quotas. So I would be willing to trade checks for the outlawing of all affirmative action programs and racial quotas.

But the devil is in the details. You can't just provide money forever amen. It has to be a one time pay out, and one that addresses people who are actually descended from slaves in the United States, not Jamaicans or Nigerians. So Juan Williams and Colin Powell would be excluded. And it would be based on percentage of slave ancestry.

As far as the form of the reparations, I was thinking it would be payable either as a fund to pay for college or advanced education or down payment for a home, the two major areas that hold black people back from the middle class.

10. drluggit

drluggit Well-Known Member

The problem with reparations is who you should pay them to. The English enslaved the Irish and banished them to the colonies. The tribes of Africa enslaved their conquered and sold them to Europeans. Indigenous populations in both N and S America enslaved their conquered.

Liberals use reparations as a test balloon. They then use the responses to these test balloons as "proof" that racism still exists in this country because so many would be opposed to paying off the descendants of black slavery in this country. The real racism, though, stems from insisting on asking this lame question in the first place.

11. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

How many whites are actual ancestors of slave-owners anyways? Exactly how does this work, I've always wondered. Do whites have an extra fee added to their tax bills? What if you are mixed? Is that fee then cut in half? :laughing:

Reparations is a r*tarded idea. Just another way for the state to steal your money.

12. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Me for one, I've traced my ancestry far in the past and at least a half dozen sets of relatives had slaves here in the New World. However, my namesake came over as an indentured servant/slave from Ireland, but served later in the American Revolutionary War.

But try not to think like the PC Leftist historians want people to think: The only slaves that mattered were Blacks enslaved by Whites.

All groups of people in recorded history had slavery. All of them, including all Blacks (that still sell themselves as slaves in parts of Africa), Aboriginals, Asians, Arabs, Native Americans, South Pacific Islanders---everyone.

13. Pollycy

You want to "buy" Blacks off with payments so that we can get rid of Reverse-Discrimination (a.k.a., "affirmative action") against White people, racial quotas, and government contracting set-asides for minority-only bidders? You want to pay them off so that we can get rid of unconstitutional programs like those, which sprouted like weeds after the 1970's? I disagree. Wrong is wrong is WRONG.

But you are surely right about one thing -- the Blacks who are all pissed-off about slavery in this country (which ended 150 years ago) will STILL be pissed-off after they get "reparations" money. "White guilt" has become big business over the years! But, it's a bottomless pit that will never be filled with enough things like unconstitutional programs against White people, or money....

monkrules likes this.
  14. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

But why should people who had nothing to do with it be held responsible?

- - - Updated - - -

I don't know. I think some of them are serious about white people paying black people reparations for slavery, as ridiculous as it is.

15. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think we should be focusing on the idea that we are one nation, not ideas that divide us.

16. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

In year 2156, Aframs will have to pay reparations to whites for all the crimes their ancestors commited. :D

17. Pollycy

Nice idea, Seth, but there's no money, and no power in being "fair and equal", as we have been since the 1960's. People have become rich off of government set-aside contracts, "affirmative-action", and other manifestations of White-guilt. Why shut down the gold mine when there's still plenty of rich ore inside?

[​IMG] ."Close this mine? You must be CRAZY!" :hippie:

18. Lil Mike

Well I'm not trying to provide either "justice" or sooth broken hearts. I'm just trying to buy out of a horrible policy that is divisive. Reparations will do nothing about Black anger at a white populace or white guilt.

- - - Updated - - -

As I said, this isn't about justice.

19. Pollycy

Sorry, Mike, it doesn't make any sense to try to bribe people into being willing to be "fair and equal". And that's all these "reparations" would be -- bribes! Blacks have been fully empowered as equal citizens with everyone else since the mid-1960's. As I've said repeatedly, slavery ended in this country over 150 years ago! They need to "get over it" or get out! The whole vast expanse of the 'paradise' that is Black Africa awaits them, if they think they'd like living over there any better.... :eekeyes:

monkrules likes this.
  20. Lil Mike

Well I'm not trying to bride people to be fair and equal, I'm just trying a good old fashioned political pay off: trade money to get rid of a policy that is extremely damaging and will become more so as the demographics change in this country.

21. Le Chef

Le Chef Banned at members request Donor

I voted no but almost voted yes just to spite Chris who refuses to praise my excellent posts in the Taxi Driver thread.:dual:

22. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

:laughing: That's okay. I'm used to spiteful and "revenge" posts.

- - - Updated - - -

In an ideal world full of ideal people, sure. ;)

- - - Updated - - -

You just admitted that you don't think reparations would do any good though. I suppose you can volunteer to pay some reparations, but I would prefer to be left out of it, thanks. :)

23. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

Who is responsible for ccreating the ideas of "white guilt" and "black anger"? Do these phenomenons really exist amongst real people in the actual world?

24. Ritter

Ritter Well-Known Member

Unfortunately that is not how it works in the complex social reality we all live in. Man is a social being and is dependent on categorising stuff in order to create order in his life. Infact, the more racially and ethnically diversed a country is, the more prone to conflict and segeregation it will be. Creating a feeling of inclusiveness and nationhood in a place like USA will be very hard.

We very much identify ourselves in relation to what we are not, when we meet other people we create an "us and them". Dutch-speaking Flem farmers on the Belgian countryside do not care much at all about their "Flemishness" but when they move into Brussels and start to interact with French-speakers, ethno-natipnalist tendencies are born.

25. ChrisL

ChrisL Well-Known Member

Liberals. Lol. :D