Trump eyes 10% spending cuts, 20% slash of federal workers

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by Professor Peabody, Jan 17, 2017.

1. Professor Peabody

Professor Peabody Well-Known Member Past Donor

Hallelujah!!! The last thing we need is more Federal cubicle mice and the pensions and Cadillac benefits packages. It's high time we shrink the federal government staff back at LEAST 20%. Let them get out into the real world and have to really work for a living, it just might change their view of how things really are. I am pushing 61 years old and have seen Government devolve into an entity that works less and less for the people and more and more toward it's own sustainance. The people they are meant to serve have become more of a bother than a reason for existence.

We are going to put an end to the notion that the American taxpayer exists to fund the federal government. The federal government exists to serve the American people. - Ronald Reagan, 1980 Nomination Acceptance Speech

The Pigeons are coming back to Crapistrano.

Greataxe likes this.
  2. WertyFArmer

WertyFArmer Well-Known Member

It will be a tough haul. If he can get 10% of it, I'll be happy.

3. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Trump to increase unemployment by 600,000.

4. zbr6

zbr6 Banned

20% seems low, lets aim for 50% and see where that takes us.

5. AKS

AKS Banned

This is good news.

6. An Old Guy

An Old Guy Well-Known Member

Hallelujah??? I don't think so, You should go back and read your link carefully, what it says is spending cuts of up to 10% of "discretionary spending" and up to 20% of employees. I don't believe this will happen and here's why - 2015 spending (total $3.79 trillion) - mandatory spending is $2.45 trillion, discretionary spending (includes defense) is $1.1 trillion, debt expense is $229.15 billion.

So, we are talking about cutting up to 10% of $1.1 trillion. The problem is, military spending is 54% of discretionary spending ($600 billion) and Trump wants to increase this by at least $50 billion per year, at a minimum. Without the spending increase Defense spending is $600 billion, leaving $500 billion in discretionary spending - 10% of this is a potential $50 billion in maximum savings - and when Trump increases Defense spend by $50 billion - the savings are gone - UNLESS he takes an axe to the paltry amount left, which he won't. No matter what the maximum impact of $50 billion in spending cuts is 1.3% of total federal spending - in other words next to nothing. Good sound bite though....

7. HB Surfer

HB Surfer Well-Known Member Past Donor

Good! Those bureaucrats are a drain on the economy. We are paying them to stymie economic activity and make our lives worse.

Now perhaps they can get real jobs.

8. WertyFArmer

WertyFArmer Well-Known Member

Get rid of baseline budgeting and it solves itself.

9. Questerr

Questerr Banned

How much are they going to drain the economy when they are on the public dole?

10. Brewskier

Brewskier Well-Known Member

Don't worry about them. Obama created a thriving economy and millions upon millions of jobs. I'm sure they will have no problem finding work in the rapidly growing fast food industry.

11. Angrytaxpayer

Angrytaxpayer Banned

This is where we start hearing the liberals whine and their hypocrisy shine.

12. Questerr

Questerr Banned

Fun fact: a job in fast food still pays low enough that people are on welfare while working there.

13. Brewskier

Maybe because fast food jobs were never meant to be somebody's career. They should aspire to more.

14. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

Are you saying that government employees are only good for fast food workers in the private economy? My stars, I'm shocked! Shocked I tell you!

15. Ctrl

Ctrl Well-Known Member Past Donor

Fun fact: When conservatives say reduce the size of government, we know it means federal jobs.
    Fun fact #2: welfare pays less than government jobs. Its still a plus sum game.

16. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

Way to go; now the waiting times to speak to anyone for help down there will go up. Wait until you hit the age for your SS (if we still have it by then) or the VA and you have to wait an hour or more to speak to someone. Thanks Trump.

17. AKS

AKS Banned

WTF does that even mean? Who decided fast food wasn't meant to be somebody's career? FF is just like any other job that 99% of the general population is qualified to do - it will be low paying. If one is ok with the pay then why not make it a career?

18. cupAsoup

cupAsoup Well-Known Member

Act before thinking. Seems very trump-ish.

19. Brewskier

Fast food jobs have traditionally been filled by teenagers or those just getting into the work force. They learned enough about job skills to go on and get better jobs. Now because of progressivism, that's changing, which is very unfortunate for society. Maybe once regulations are rolled back and the private sector starts generating good jobs again, things will change back from the Obama McParttime jobs revolution.

20. Borat

Borat Banned

They may have to seek employment in [oh the horror] private sector and comete with cheap chinese labor, like the rest of us, courtesy of of their own policies. Not to worry though, Trump will bring millions manufacturing jobs back and deport illegals, the demand for people working the assembly line and farm workers will go through the roof. Lol

21. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

You mean how much are they going to drain government revenues to pay their unemployment and welfare while they are looking for new jobs? Less than what we pay them now.

22. Quantum Nerd

Quantum Nerd Well-Known Member

Absolutely.

But you know what? Many of our good conservatives on here have never grown out of the teenage illusion of immortality. It is never THEM needing assistance at one point in their lives, it is always the OTHERS (insert moochers).

Maybe they'll wake up some day actually needing assistance and then will ironically depend on the system that they have fought so hard against their whole lives. But, they'll argue at this point that they deserve assistance, unlike the non-deserving moochers that occupy their thinking way too much.

23. Bluesguy

Bluesguy Well-Known Member Donor

I lost a job in 2009, was able to collect unemployment for the two and half months I was out of work while I negotiated a new job with several other companies. Actually forgot several times to go online and fill out the form to collect that particular week. Took an offer from a former competitor of my previous company. Ended up on the plus side with my severance pay that I had.

24. TomFitz

TomFitz Well-Known Member

That's not what Republicans do!

They increase the size of the Federal payroll, often considerably (see Reagan and George W Bush).

And they put it all on the national credit card.

I'll wager that not one of the bobble heads who are ranting that unspecified huge cuts are a good idea are aware that both the budget deficit and the Federal payroll shrank during the Obama adminstration.

25. way2convey

way2convey Well-Known Member

Hammer hits nail! You are exactly right. Baseline budgeting is the biggest Federally beneficial financial scam on earth. It's also the one thing no one in DC ever seriously discusses fixing or getting rid of.