Syria Peace talks: Astana Meeting (23 Jan 2017)

Discussion in 'Latest US & World News' started by goody, Jan 19, 2017.

1. goody

goody Banned

This meeting's most important aspect, without a doubt, ""would be"" the West's first time ever exclusion over Syria talks, if Russia had managed to remain decisive for standing on their grounds to finish what they've started. But apparently the last minute U turn from the Russian side I think, marks a possible US attendance to the meeting in Kazakhstan. What cards were played by the Americans against their exclusion from the meeting is still unknown, however, we still can make some guesses;

-Ukraine
    -In addition to 35 persona-non-gratas, threats for freezing some Russian assets in the US
    -Threats for taking steps against Putin's plans stated in his 2020 Maritime doctrine

Only god knows.

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/...ace-talks-set-january-23-170111134601699.html

2. goody

goody Banned

3 days left...

3. MrFirst

MrFirst Banned Past Donor

I'm pretty sure an exclusion of USA is not a goal but a way to put a pressure on them. It's a method to say - look, we can handle it without you, if you are not hurry up. But for real it's clear any agreement over Syria without USA would be incomplete.

4. goody

goody Banned

Nice points. I think, since the beginning of the conflict it's been seriously out of question to plan without America in Syria. I'm saying this not only because the conflict was engineered by the US but I'm also taking into account its physical control over the large part Syria. Majority of the groups forming ISIS, entire PKK/YPG and some Arab factions are all US proxies scattered all around the lands east of Damascus. Any intervention, whether covert or open, would either trigger a total conventional war or heavy clashes in different parts and regions of the world where Russia Turkey and Iran mostly seeking stability. That's a grave cost.

5. goody

goody Banned

2 days left

6. Iranian Monitor

Iranian Monitor Well-Known Member

Iran is opposed US participation in the Astana talks, while the Russians and the Turks want the US to participate as well.

https://sputniknews.com/politics/201701211049853457-iran-us-syria-astana-talks/
    Presidential spokesman Dmitry PeskovIran's Position Complicating Astana Talks on Syria – Kremlin Spokesman

7. goody

goody Banned

I think Iran's said position may have been to give a message to Trump who once said his number one priority was to dismantle the nuclear deal with Iran.

As for Turks, "the patriots" are all against US participation but I know they also understand balance is required, especially when foreign policy conjunctures become highly volatile. To me, Russia is the only player that seriously needs to calculate the content and direction of potential responses from the US once their participation is blocked. No need to mention, Turkey and Iran are playing this game with strict regional boundaries, but US and Russia can take action anywhere around the globe and can turn any region into a hot-spot.

8. goody

goody Banned

Tomorrow is the big day !

9. goody

goody Banned

10. PoliticalHound

PoliticalHound Banned

Hello goody

As I understand this from my perspective. The Russians. (Vladimir Putin and Sergey Lavrov) Want to meet Donlad Trump. Not for the talks.

That old phrase. Test his metal.

To cut through all the media hysteria. But from an outside perspective. Vladimir Putin and Sergey Lavrov appear far more capable and experienced than a newly elected American President.

11. AmericanNationalist

AmericanNationalist Well-Known Member

Which is why it was wise to send our representative Mr.Toner. This is a big spot for him personally, in normal circumstances he wouldn't be in this position. If he does a good job, Trump might consider a promotion ;).

12. PoliticalHound

PoliticalHound Banned

Yes I find that disappointing. It would have been an epic confrontation between the Russians and the American governments. Protecting Donald Trump during his learning curve of presidential power is the wisest course of action.

But I wouldn't like to be in Mr Toner shoes. Facing Vladimir Putin with excuses.

13. AmericanNationalist

AmericanNationalist Well-Known Member

I'm the kind of dude that embraces challenges lol. I'd be pumped and be like "Alright, where do I go?" But yeah, probably daunting for most.

14. PoliticalHound

PoliticalHound Banned

I have been a manager for many years. I am more Putin’s temperament than Trump.

You misunderstand. If someone sent me a boy doing a man’s job. I treat them, the same way as I suspect Vladimir Putin with treat Mr Toner.

15. Sam Bellamy

Sam Bellamy Well-Known Member

I think Trump could hold his own with Putin. But I agree, he shouldn't be meeting him now. Let's get him up to speed first.

16. goody

goody Banned

I agree. Lack of knowledge in the game and negotiation experience could be main reasons why newly appointed "hawks" were not sent to Astana. And that makes sense when you consider Russia's "friendly approach" by inviting the US officials to the meeting. Although they knew the US wouldn't send a group of newbies they might still want to take that shot. But [MENTION=63456]AmericanNationalist[/MENTION]'s point is important too. The reason Toner is still in the office I thought, was his knowledge about the game and America's position in it. Why not sending him instead yet to be answered.

17. goody

goody Banned

https://sputniknews.com/politics/201701241049940263-astana-talks-document/

18. PoliticalHound

PoliticalHound Banned

I watched Mr Toner on CNN. He was emotionally hurt by a female Russian Today reporter who shook his senses.

These talks are dead. Trump is sending a boy doing a man's job to Vladimir Putin.

19. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Syria wants massive amounts of US foreign aid to play nice.. So does Yemen. This is a scam.

Let Russian pick up the tab on aid to Syria.