Oh my, I feel SO much safer now, don't you?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by gandrews, Jan 19, 2017.

1. gandrews

gandrews Well-Known Member

Remember when counter terrorism expert Richard Clarke described "hair on fire" moments at the beginning of W's presidency as his CIA director tried to get the president focused on a potential terrorist attack in the lead up to 9/11? Yeah, well, Obama's national security officials have been diligently prepping for the transition to the next national security team since last summer, producing some 275 briefing documents and 1,000 pages of classified material and, writes Mark Landler:

Nobody in the current administration knows whether anyone in the next has read any of it.

Really, Trump has made such a big show of whom he was going to pick for certain cabinet posts that he just hasn't had time to get the national security team in place—not to mention someone who isn't a purveyor of fake news and conspiracy theories to lead it. But lead it retired Army Lt. Gen. Michael Flynn will, and in an apparent information vacuum, according to outgoing national security adviser, Susan Rice.

“We really wanted to make sure there was nothing a new team needed to know that we hadn’t told them,” Ms. Rice said in an interview. “It took them more time than we expected for them to be ready to engage with us.” Now, she added, “we’re racing to make up lost time.”

Rice's team has reportedly been scrambling to make unclassified versions of their original reports because, true to Trump's stellar management skills, most of the National Security Council (NSC) personnel he installed to run the transition didn't have security clearances. Perfect. Let’s remember that none of the NSC positions require Senate confirmation, so the slow start represents nothing less than sheer incompetence.

The transitions at the State Department and Pentagon are equally behind schedule if not more, but the national security deficit is perhaps more critical because the NSC is tasked with culling information from State, the Pentagon, and the CIA and relaying what's most critical to the president.

“This is the nerve center of the White House,” said David J. Rothkopf, the chief executive and editor of the FP Group, who has written a history of the N.S.C., Running the World: The Inside Story of the National Security Council and the Architects of American Power. “If your brain isn’t functioning, your arms and legs aren’t going to function.”

Fortunately, Trump has a good brain, so he probably doesn’t need any help from the NSC. And yes, that sarcasm is a complete mask for how terrifying the prospect of Trump’s tenure is, particularly in the realm of national security and foreign policy. Taegan Goddard writes:

President-elect Donald Trump admitted that receiving intel briefings has shown him that the U.S. faces some formidable “enemies” but said he will “solve the problems,” ABC News reports.

Said Trump: “I’ve had a lot of briefings that are very… I don’t want to say ‘scary’ because I’ll solve the problems. But we have some big enemies out there in this country and we have some very big enemies — very big and, in some cases, strong enemies.”

He added that he likes his briefings short: “I like bullets or I like as little as possible. I don’t need, you know, 200-page reports on something that can be handled on a page. That I can tell you.”

Apparently, his national security advisers don’t need those 200-page reports either.
    Cramming a 200 page counter terrorism report into one page will certainly leave our new, committed, super smart (in his own mind, anyway) president much more time to twitter, but will it cover enough information for a president with the nuclear football to make an informed decision? Hum..... sounds doubtful.....

waltky likes this.
  2. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny says, "Dat's right...
    :grandma:
    ... with the Donald in charge...

... dem jihadis gonna be...

... quakin' in dey's boots.
    :wink:

3. Ole Ole

Ole Ole Banned

I know you. You're Abdullah from Iraq or Iran.

4. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

And I know you.

[video=youtube;ccJihOB8n8o]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ccJihOB8n8o[/video]

5. Ole Ole

Ole Ole Banned

Are just one norweigan videos ?

6. garyd

garyd Well-Known Member

Shall we wait until the man is in office and has his whole team in place before we start kvetching about things over which he currently has no control.

7. Fisherguy

Fisherguy Well-Known Member

I predict the next four years will make a lot of people yearn for the do-nothing presidency of Dubya Bush. Compared to Trump, Dubya was a statesman....

8. gandrews

gandrews Well-Known Member

Compared to Trump, Dubya was an adult!