Inaugural Speech analysis

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Mike12, Jan 20, 2017.

1. Mike12

Mike12 Well-Known Member

so... people are already divided on Trump's rather unconventional speech. Here are my thoughts -

positives:
    1. He didn't deviate from his campaign promises. Securing borders, America first, bringing $$ back into US from offshore accounts, fixing trade and bringing back jobs, strong military and re-building infrastructure took center stage. I commend him for staying true to his message no matter what he felt others wanted to hear.
    2. He was harsh on politicians and promised this would be a government for the people. I can't imagine guys like Paul Ryan and other 'establishment' politicians felt good about this because Trump essentially accused them of serving their interests and not the people's interests. I again commend him for having the courage to utter these words with the establishment all around him.
    3. He did call for unity when talking about race relations etc...

negatives:
    1. He didn't show enough respect for the former presidents nor did he acknowledge Hilary Clinton. Now, this may sound like nit picking but we have a divided Country and this would've gone a long way. What i would've done is ask all presidents to stand, thank each of them for their service and guiding us through tough times (09/11, recession etc..) and then asked Hilary to stand up to let her know that even though she lost, she accomplished something significant - first woman to run for president and win popular vote. I supported Trump but all these people deserved some mention, this could've taken him 2 minutes. Again, the reason this would've gone a long way is that we have a divided Country and each of these men (whether you agreed with them or not) were our leaders for many years. Another reason this would've been good is that his speech pretty much proceeded to call them all incompetent, indirectly.
    2. His speech pretty much depicted a Country that is not great, not wealthy and infested with drugs and criminals. Now surely we have problems which need to be addressed but the US is the wealthiest, strongest and greatest Country in the world! Can it be greater? yes and Trump could've struck a balance to let everyone know that American today is the greatest nation in the world but that he wants to make it even greater and fix al lot of stuff politicians haven't addressed 'all talk, no action'. I can't imagine that Clinton, Bush nor Obama felt too good when Trump made it seem like the US hasn't even been wealthy or great under them, nothing can be farther than the truth and i'm sure all of them didn't feel too good about this.

overall, not bad, a tough speech that focused on the people but his characterization of America was somewhat dark, America is the strongest, most powerful and wealthiest Country in the world right now, even with all the problems we face. I thought he could've done better in this regard, showing more respect for other presidents and mentioning Hilary. May be nit picking but this was a very important speech...

2. slackercruster

slackercruster Banned

He doesn't have to kiss the former pres asses. Hil? She should have been under indictment. It is not the job of Trump to make the former pres feel good, it is Trump's job to tell the truth and bring about positive change.

What says more to me about Trump is how fast she shut down Obama's homosexual agenda promotion via the Whitehouse website. Isn't it sickening our tax dollars were going to promote Obama's warped sense of what is right?

I give Trump B+ / A- for the speech.

3. thinkitout

thinkitout Well-Known Member

A good SUPERFICIAL analysis, but it did not delve deeply enough to uncover the implications. . . .

Trump's supporters wanted someone who would change the status quo of politics, but today he essentially threw down the gauntlet and alienated the Congress he will need to effect those changes. "America's CEO" has just rejected the support of his board of directors, implying that he had the absolute authority to reform government single-handedly. Did America elect a MONARCH???. . . . Are his political ambitions the aspirations of a wannabe despot???. . . . His endgame sounds good, but is it a promise or a siren's song?

Don't worry, I believe there is NOW bipartisan support to put Donald in his place if he gets TOO FAR out of line. . . . As I said before, I'll give him 6 months to a year.

4. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

What was the carnage quote?

5. Penrod

Penrod Well-Known Member

Because he doesnt respect them in reality. They are the elites he wants to get rid of . They are creatures of the swamp

6. Mike12

Mike12 Well-Known Member

Obama was our president when the economy was COLLAPSING and now it's much better (no matter what the f conservatives say); Bush was our president during 09/11, he guided us through our worst attack in history.

these presidents weren't bad, they had good intentions and being president is a sacrifice, you age terribly and have to deal with hate and trolling and disrespect after you leave office. All these guys stood ready to protect us in our darkest days, potentially a nuclear attack. They won because we, the people voted for them. Whether you agree or disagree with their ideology or what they did, they deserve the utmost respect. I consider anyone that doesn't believe in this a person of weak character, period.

now he did acknowledge all of them at the beginning and i see he did address Hilary at the inaugural lunch (which was very gracious) but he wasn't truthful about the state America, what exactly did he mean 'make America wealthy again?' AMERICA IS THE WEALTHIEST COUNTRY ON EARTH! AND OUR ECONOMY THE STRONGEST. THIS IS A FACT, NOT AN OPINION. 'make America safe again?' AMERICA IS THE SAFEST NATION ON EARTH or would anyone here feel safer in Europe, Russia or China? explain to me why. 'make America great again'. AMERICA IS THE GREATEST NATION ON EARTH, which other nation is greater? he also talked about a Country full of crime and drugs... he just depicted a completely false picture of this Country and i'm a Trump supporter, this is just an unbiased observation. I think it would've been much better if he would've acknowledged that the US has always been great but that he wants to fix the problems we face and fix Washington.

7. tsuke

tsuke Well-Known Member

Trump could spend the entire speech saying that he would go against everything he ran for and would implement Clinton's policy 100% and even get clinton as secretary of state and it would do nothing for unity and you know it. When one side believes your "literally Hitler" there is no sense trying to court them. You have to show them your ideas work and even then half would still call you Hitler.

8. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Here is the analysis. The entire country is a mess and only Trump can save America. The man is clearly delusional.

9. CourtJester

CourtJester Well-Known Member

Can anyone actually find one Trump nominee that isn't an elite?

10. Belch

Belch Well-Known Member

I couldn't find a thing wrong with it. He stayed with the message that got him elected, and the bit about giving the power back to the people that washington insiders took from us was truly inspiring! He gave all the politicians there a thorough and much needed thrashing, and that's what needed to be said to the lot of them.

I particularly loved seeing Hillary there. One last final and glorious slap in the face to her before she is gone forever.

11. Penrod

Penrod Well-Known Member

Both sucked and are members of the swamp. Do you have anything else?

- - - Updated - - -

Can you find one that worked in government ? The only thing making them elite is their ability to get things done on time and under budget

12. Penrod

Penrod Well-Known Member

She is so fake. Did you see her face when she first arrived and that big sigh ? Then turn on the lights and out comes the smile

13. Mike12

Mike12 Well-Known Member

you don't sound like a happy person nor do you sound like a patriot. Another possibility is that you are a kid and have yet to read history and experience much in life. just my observations..

14. Senator Jack

Senator Jack Active Member

...but there is one he'll be kissing for the next 4 years and that's Vlads. Hil? Then what about him playing the "groping" game? It only takes one of those women to come forward. :lol:

15. Hoosier8

Hoosier8 Well-Known Member Past Donor

His speech, the first sentence, started with him mentioning the Presidents there and thanking them.

16. Texas Republican

Texas Republican Well-Known Member Past Donor

Trump said that today marked a transfer of power, not from the Democrats to the Republicans but from Washington, DC back to the American people.

He wants the people to have more autonomy over their own lives. And the msm said this was "hateful". WTF?

17. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

I think it was a good speech, and I don't mind that he didn't mention HC.

18. Belch

Belch Well-Known Member

I think they're complaining about him mentioning the economic and violent wastelands of the inner-cities and the schools that are over-funded and under-performing. They don't like reporting on muslim terrorists, gang violence, bad schools, and the lack of good jobs for Joe six-pack. Him mentioning those things means either covering them, or acting like he should be up there talking about how his farts smell like petunias and daffodils. His "dark" rhetoric, divisive comments, blah blah blah blah...

They're shaking in their boots about having to cover things that they refuse to cover. Yet if they don't, they become even more irrelevant than they already are.

19. Mike12

Mike12 Well-Known Member

it wasn't hateful but MSM, come on! they have their bias..

I think his speech was on point except i don't agree with his characterization of this Country today, it's without a doubt, the wealthiest, the strongest, the most powerful and arguably the greatest on Earth. I liked what he said about uniting the Country, the self-serving politicians, working for the people and the issues he wants to address but it just doesn't feel good when he makes it look like this Country isn't great, isn't wealthy, isn't safe and is full of drugs and criminals... it's just not a good characterization of the Country he seeks to lead.

20. SuperfluousNinja

SuperfluousNinja Member

He tried really, really hard to paint a dark picture of America, and I can't understand the benefit of doing so. I could see it as a political tool during his campaign...America is much darker and in more trouble than you realize, and I can be the one to fix it for you! But he's already won. He IS the President now, and things aren't nearly as bad as he seems to think they are. The only rational explanation is that he really believes what he says, and that's a scary thought as it clearly demonstrates how disconnected he is from reality. He is so hell-bent on jobs jobs jobs when our unemployment rate is at one of the lowest levels it's been at in decades! Everything boils down to jobs with him. Deport illegal immigrants because they stole our jobs. Defund the ACA because it's too costly and hurts the economy which makes jobs disappear. He has to create a false image in his head of how dire things are in this country for his ridiculous ideas to make any sense.

21. Mike12

Mike12 Well-Known Member

i take back a couple of my criticisms given he did thank all former presidents and he did signal out Hilary during the luncheon after the inauguration. I just didn't like how he pretty much described this Country as not wealthy, not great, not safe and full of crime and drugs... One again, this Country is the strongest, the most powerful, the wealthiest, very safe (who thinks Europe is safer?) and a president shouldn't depict such a dark picture of the Country he seeks to lead. Having said this, i liked his speech overall, just not how he described the Country...

22. Belch

Belch Well-Known Member

Many parts of the country are exactly as he described. They are horrible violent crime infested piles of garbage that would be worth more as farmland. And no, the country is not rich. There are some people who are very rich, but most Americans don't know about that America.

Those people who think the country is just doing great didn't vote for him.

23. mbk734

mbk734 Well-Known Member

Trump might have an overly negative view of the country but I think you have an overly positive view. Crime, drugs, terrorists, illegal immigrants, and jobs are huge problems that he wants to tackle. If everything is dandy, why do anything?

24. An Old Guy

An Old Guy Well-Known Member

Happy & glorious - sorry, wrong nation. For an inaugural speech, the speech was incredibly bad. For a campaign speech, it was pretty good. Translation: Trump has to start acting as a president, not someone running for office.

P.S. The nod to the Clintons at lunch was nice but he should have mentioned her in the "speech".

25. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

Overall it is a great country. Wouldn't want to live anywhere else.