Climate change is off the table

Discussion in 'Environment & Conservation' started by sawyer, Jan 21, 2017.

1. sawyer

sawyer Well-Known Member Past Donor

This is good news for America and it is bad news for the cult. We now have a president that calls terrorism terrorism and climate change a hoax. He will quit squandering time and resources on the AGW myth and concentrate on real world issues. The party is over and you guys better hand out that Kool-Aid to all your members.

'"At 11:59 am eastern, the official White House website had a lengthy information page about the threat of climate change and the steps the federal government had taken to fight it. At noon, at the instant Donald Trump took office, the page was gone, as well as any mention of climate change or global warming.'"

http://www.climatedepot.com/2017/01...leted-from-white-house-website-at-noon-today/

2. Daniel Light

Daniel Light Well-Known Member

I guess the actual flooding that Miami Beach is experiencing is just a figment of their imagination. Who knew that if
    you pretend something isn't happening it won't happen.

You go, girl. The Laws of Physics are just an illusion. Microwave ovens work because scientists are the devil, not because they understand the physical world.

3. GrayMan

GrayMan Well-Known Member

You should avoid pointing to a single disaster as if it accurately representative 'global' warming which should have a global effect. Your statment loses credibility, true or not.

4. Daniel Light

You would be right - except it's not just a "single" disaster. There are islands in the Pacific that are actually being evacuated. The
    streets of Venice flood constantly these days, as opposed to occasionally. There are over 60 multi-million dollar homes for sale
    in an area of Ft. Lauderdale that has begun to flood. The coastal cities in India have serious ocean flooding problems.

The reason it has hit Florida harder than many has to do with it's proximity to the Atlantic currents - it's the canary in the coal mine.

5. sawyer

Super moon had a little something to do with this event and sea levels have been rising since the end of the last ice age. Places like Miami inches above sea level are likely going away as have many other land masses currently under water. By the way, I thought Obama was supposed to stop sea levels rising. Yet another fail. Another by the way, 50 below in Anchorage.

6. GrayMan

What is the lever? 1.8mm/y avg rise in ocean waters couldnt be enough to cause noticible flooding. So how did global warmimg cause it?

Is this a problem increasing globally on average or did you just point to more isolated events/areas that support your position?

7. Daniel Light

2016 average temperature in Anchorage was the highest recorded. Your comment on Obama is asinine and irrelevant. The last
    time the Earth had rising sea levels, there were not 3 billion people living on the coasts. To pretend it will not have world-wide economic impact because you took it off a web-site is pathetic.

8. Right is the way

Right is the way Well-Known Member

Please explain to me how today's warming is caused by man. We have had documented warming and cooling in the past. How is today's warming not just part of that. The north west passage was first sailed in 1903 to 1906. You had the little ice age followed by a warming. I do not deny that we are or where in a warming but science has yet given me a good enough explanation as to why this warming is not just earth's natural climate change. The weather models that they use are the same ones that they use to predict weather near term, which they do not get right very often. Until they can predict next week's weather with more precision, I am highly suspect of any predictions 20 to 50 years out.

9. Daniel Light

You have to compound the effects of yearly rise in areas with strong tides and/or near strong currents. Fluid dynamics. The oceans are not static.

10. SillyAmerican

SillyAmerican Well-Known Member

Hallelujah!

Make America Sane Again.

11. Daniel Light

Yet you do not seem suspect of any observations that warming is not caused by human actions. To be intellectually honest, if you are going to take this route, then you would have to take a neutral position.

For my own part, I will take the side of 2,000 plus years of scientific observations - ALL variable elements in an ecosystem will have
    an impact on that environment. It's physically impossible that 7 billion humans living, driving, building, cutting and controlling their ecosystem do not have some impact on that environment.

12. GrayMan

If you are refering to the change in ocean currents then this gets complicated because a lot of variables come into play. I think we can agree that the currents and tides are the largest contributing factor to local flooding and even wheather conditions. I understand that a large part of what causes ocean currents to change is temperature. It would makes sense then to blame climate and global temperature changes for recent shifts in ocean currents but there still remains a lot of questions. How does global warming cause the north pole ice caps to melt but allow the south pole to freeze? Average temperature increases cannot make sense of this.

13. AFM

AFM Well-Known Member Past Donor

2 - 3 mm per decade do not result in flooding.

- - - Updated - - -

It was warming in the Medieval Warm Period (which was ~ 1000 years ago) than it is today.

14. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

I have become rather tired with the hysteria, while not a single one of the hysterical are screaming for land management addressing the co2 and the halt to deforestation of rain forests by capitalists. The absence of this tell me this is about taxation, and redistribution, right into the pockets of the elites. The left are too self involved to notice.

15. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

Quite right. We have to have an affect on environment but how much in regards to climate change given that the climate is changing, warming over time. And do we want to cause more human suffering by addressing it in draconian ways? Or do we adjust as we have done in the past, awaiting the zero point energy source that ends fossil fuel use? Regardless we cannot stop the cooked in warming no matter what we do. It is too late if you buy into the co2 propositions. I guess some of us will find out.

16. sawyer

Should the earth and its climate magically stop changing because there are billions of people here now. We will have to adapt just as we always have.

17. drluggit

drluggit Well-Known Member

Hmm.. So those islands in the pacific you mention, they wouldn't be subducting, right? Just a thought, are islands permanent?

Venice floods for sure, but mostly because of poor decisions made by the folks who live there that, for example, drained their aquifers, built the city on unstable sediments, and built sea walls, and other structures that caused current exacerbated erosion.

On Ft Lauderdale. Are you sure that all 60 of those multi million dollar houses are for sale because it floods? Cite some sources. If you suck all of the fresh water out of the ground, does it not settle? We seem to think that FL has enough water for unrestricted population growth for ever. Id' ask, is that a man made issue or a climate issue?

What if the canary in the coal mine is telling us that FL is now over populated. Then what?

18. whinot

whinot Banned

lol, obamacare will have the same fate in a few weeks. They can stuff their payments, fines, etc.

19. Margot2

Margot2 Banned

Trump will only be in office 4 to 8 years..

Meanwhile, the Saudis will continue to research and develop reducing emissions technologies, geothermal, solar and nuclear power options..

The patents are in place for recovery and recycling of persistent organic pollutants... That will save billions for industry so that's not really dependent on someone like Trump understanding the environmental benefits..

More concerning is the sudden call by World Net Daily and Raymond Ibrahim for the US to declare war on the Gulf States and "take" their oil. That would do a lot of damage to the world economy and US oil producers.

In some places in the world they will continue to build recharge dams to capture ground water and replenish aquifers.

Its just not that bleak for good environmental practices in the future.

20. sawyer

I don't care what the rest of the world does in this regard I only care what we do and I'm heartened to see that Trump will stop wasting time and resources on this failed hypothesis.