Beware...it is happening here!

Discussion in 'Civil Liberties' started by Frank, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Frank

Frank Well-Known Member Past Donor

All my adult life I have mulled the questions:

Why did the Germans buy into the nonsense Hitler was selling?

Why did they allow their country to experience the predictable horror such a move presaged?

When considering the Milgram experiment on obedience to authority figures I thought I had gained some insights on the issues, but they were not totally resolved.

After reading some of the responses of supporters of Donald Trump in various threads here, I honestly feel I no longer have those questions to deal with.

I am watching how...and why...it happened play out for me in real time.

How sad it is for my country that there are people willing to allow this to be; how sad for the world that there are people in thrall that it be.

Renee and Bear513 like this.
  2. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

Knock off the nazi comparison. It makes political dialogue so much harder.

AlifQadr likes this.
  3. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

Exactly right. People like OP need to be de-programmed from the last 60 years or so of liberal brainwashing. It's going to a slow process but we have to keep it up. The snowflake you save from Madonna and Scarlett Johannson today may well, with proper education, become the Freedom Fighter of tomorrow.

AlifQadr likes this.
  4. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

I didn't say that. I said knock off the nazi comparision. Use a better example. Italy is a good one. The right wing threats to the state (think Cliven Bundy and his ilk) have weakened it to the point where we lost faith in governance. Also bad economics plays a role.

5. Frank

Perhaps.

But making "political dialogues" easier...may be part of what I am talking about here. That is what Joseph Goebbels did for Germany, Kranes. He made "political dialogues" easier.

- - - Updated - - -

So that is what you suppose the Trump supporters to be?

Freedom fighters?

Alas!

6. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

I see better to compare Trump to Mussolini, how fair of you.

Thought Criminal and vman12 like this.
  7. therooster

therooster Banned

Oh boy , what nonsense.

8. Frank

Yeah.

I'm sure that is what the Hitler fans (and Mussolini fans) said when they were warned.

9. waltky

waltky Well-Known Member

Granny says, "Dat's right - the sky is fallin'...
    :grandma:
    ... just like Jesus said it would...

... right before he returns...

... so ya better get right with God...

... or he gonna put ya inna fire an' brimstone.
    :omg:

Thought Criminal likes this.
  10. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

Considering Friday we had our own little DC Kristalnacht by black clad rioters who refuse to accept a democratic election, who exactly are the fascists again?

waltky likes this.
  11. Frank

There are baddies on both sides, Mike. There are people who want to disrupt...and to call elections undemocratic or illegitimate. People on your side of the political divide did it often and relentlessly during the last eight years...and I sadly suppose there are some on the other side who will do it often and relentlessly in retaliation.

As for "who are the fascists?"...I stand by what I said. I see happening here what happened in Germany during the early 1930's...and I see Americans (like you, for instance) doing what many Germans did back then...agreeing, encouraging, facilitating.

I think you are being duped big time.

I hope our political institutions are able to withstand the disgusting onslaught it will have to bear under this man-child in the Oval Office.

We'll see.

waltky likes this.
  12. Lil Mike

Lil Mike Well-Known Member

So now you are calling me personally a Nazi?

This isn't about "baddies on both sides." This is about having a free and fair election, your side losing, and your side refusing to accept the loss. Republicans lost the last two Presidential elections, and they didn't like it, but they didn't call the system into question, or deny that it was an actual loss, or try to come up with schemes to overturn the election either by threatening electors, or tossing out assassination ideas to make sure the Presidency stays in Democratic hands.

So if you don't think the system is legitimate unless you win, and you send out blackshirted thugs to riot then I think your accusations of Nazism are wildly misplaced.

vman12 likes this.
  13. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

One problem is persistent myopia - something we know commonly from this bible passage: "Why do you look at the speck of sawdust in your brother's eye and pay no attention to the plank in your own eye?

Look at all of the hatred and lies being spewed about Trump and his supporters before you just hate and blame Trump and his supporters...

waltky likes this.
  14. Durandal

Durandal Well-Known Member Donor

It's a growing division among our population, and the radicals and extremists on both sides are responsible for furthering it. They are, apparently at least, a stronger force than the middle, the people who would look past their lies and violence and maintain a unified whole.

If you're going to compare our situation to Nazi Germany, then I think you need to look at more than just Hitler and the Nazis. They were but one extreme side in Germany, with radical leftists, i.e. Communists, on the other side. Both hated and feared the other, and so the situation worsened as each fought for control of the nation.

15. Frank

C'mon, Mike. You can do better than that.

At no point did I call you a Nazi. I did say you were being duped...and you are.

Not my side. My side says, as I have several times: Donald Trump won this election fair and square. He IS the president. I wish him the very best of luck in helping make America and the world the best place it can possibly be. (Obviously, I have my serious doubts that he can...or will...do that.)

Try to keep up.

Read what I wrote again...and calm down while doing so.

16. PARTIZAN1

PARTIZAN1 Well-Known Member

He did not mention Nazis at all. The comparison God made is how the Austrian born Germaniac guy Hitler got the German people to buy into the idea that Hitler would makr the Germanies great again.

Ps I believe that Austria is German and should be part of Germany but no neither Germany proper nor the Province of German Austria should have gone into Nazidom.

17. PARTIZAN1

PARTIZAN1 Well-Known Member

The oarallels are very horrific in that Hitler and Trump conned their respective followers to believe in a fairy tale of make America/Germany great again. The difference us that unlike Germany that got screwed blued and tatooed by the winning powers of Britain, US, and France "we" or let's be honest and say that our American corporations gave away our manufacturing capacity ( hence jobs) by acting like pigs trying to gobble up cheap labor in the swill of the Chinese trough.

Trump us making all these promises of returning jobs and he knows that he cannot deliver on that promise but his cult of Trump followers do not. That us where the Germans of the 1920's and 1930's and Trump cultists are of the same sorry naive mind.

18. usfan

usfan Banned

This is the goal of the progressive left, to mandate conformity, use emotion, rather than reason, & keep the crowds ramped up with hysteria, as the leftist media is doing, now, & has done for years. Any comparison to the nazis is for the left, who uses phony narratives & propaganda better than anyone. Who controls the megaphones in this country? What ideology runs academia, entertainment, the media, & govt? It is all primarily LEFTIST, marxist, darwinian ideology, force fed to the citizens through the megaphones of ideological propaganda.

Orwellian would be even more fitting, but 'Nazi!' works for them, too.

19. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member Past Donor

Name the #1 thing you think hitler did that trump is also going to do. This nuttiness from the left is the most epic I have ever seen. How do you to get to your eighties and still believe this? It's fascinating. You do know we elect a president every four years and no American will ever let a person become a dictator here...but that aside lets hear that #1

20. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

Is that how bad your position is? The point of free speech is the free flow of ideas to make better decisions. Bringing up the Nazis fails to do that. It's not a new idea and it doesn't solve anything. So knock it off.

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah. I won't make that comparison, personally speaking I was going to cite the struggles of African democracy during the cold war as my example but there needs to be more accurate discussion when we talk about the authoritative right wing figures.

21. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

yeah, totally not Nazis, next you're going to be talking to me about Millennium and their army of 1000 vampires.

Well it's not necessarily a Nazi idea to have Grandeutschland. The reason why Germany is so strong now is to prevent it from conquering the rest of Europe again.

22. Frank

Attempt to intimidate the press. Essentially, to take away freedom of the press as thoroughly as possible...something all dictators do.

The danger for the Republic from the right...and from any progressives who see Trump as less than a dangerous person...is the most epic I have ever seen...

...and I suggest it is the reason for what you are seeing.

I do not do "believing"...but I am willing to look at what is happening...and to see it for what it is.

Try doing that...and you may see it the way I am.

I am not given to this kind of thing. Never have actually done it before. But Donald Trump...and the way he is conducting himself is like a klaxon blaring.

The situation indeed is fascinating, Alpha, in a morbid way.

I hope you are correct about that.

But there is always a first time for everything...so I think being alert about the potential is smart.

As for #1...as I said...it is the assault on the media that is the immediate danger.

23. Frank

No.

There is true danger here...and I will mention it.

If you find it unworthy...ignore it...or argue against it.

24. squidward

squidward Well-Known Member

The governance caused the lost faith in governance.

25. Kranes56

Kranes56 Banned

The violence caused by such actions have failed to reassure those that the government can solve societal problems.