What is a Republican?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by HereWeGoAgain, Jan 22, 2017.

1. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

Trump is greatly at odds with long-held Republican orthodoxy and philosophy. Free trade, US leadership in the world, fierce defense of our NATO allies, fierce opposition to totalitarian regimes, at least publicly, have been centerpieces of the Republican platform for as long as I've been around.

So we seem to have Trumpers and old-school Republicans, greatly at odds.

So, what does it mean to be a Republican? I don't see how Trump has anything in common with Republicans other than his abusive language used towards people of color, his promise to cut taxes, and authoritarianism. [Can't forget: We should wrap ourselves in flags!]

So I have to conclude that authoritarianism is the foundation of the new Republican Party?

His attacks on the free press [the first step for any dictator] and his shutting down the Dept of the Interior tweets because he didn't like one, are signs of things to come. I would bet on the worst impulses of humanity to be the driving force of the R Party.

Here is my litmus test: Which do you defend first: The flag and nationalism, or the Constitution? Those are two very different things.

2. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

No replies. That's what I thought. Beyond making Murka great again, you stand for nothing.

3. lemmiwinx

lemmiwinx Well-Known Member Past Donor

Republicans are people who believe the gov't should get the heck out of their lives. That's the short version I have more.

4. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

Okay, how about listing the long version. You want protectionism [government interference in our lives] and high taxes on companies who operate according to capitalism and free markets [government inference in our lives], but you want the government out of your life?

We have so many strong opinions from the right but no one can say what they stand for; less one sentence?

You want to ban freedom of choice for women but you want government out of your lives? So I assume that means it should only apply to men?

5. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

Again, this is what I'm most curious to consider.

Which do you defend first: The flag and nationalism, or the Constitution?

6. HereWeGoAgain

HereWeGoAgain Banned

Bumping one more time. More and more it looks like Republicans can't define their own party.

7. Mr_Truth

Mr_Truth Well-Known Member

What is a Republican?

[​IMG]

funny how the expression "compassionate conservative" has disappeared