Is there any hope for reconciliation in America?

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Greystone, Jan 22, 2017.

1. Greystone

Greystone Member

I have been thinking about this question the past few months and am curious to see others' opinions.

In recent years we have seen such a massive schism in American culture and politics and I for one do not see any hope for reconciliation at all. I don't understand how this country can last in a non-dysfunctional state long term with the division I currently see. In the past, citizens disagreed on issues, but they were held together by certain shared core principles that set the foundation for unity. In essence they agreed on what it meant to be an American. Today, I've noticed there is no such agreement on what it means to be an American and to me this is one of the most revealing aspects of the division between Left and Right. The divide between Left and Right in this country is so wide (and gets wider by the day) that depending on who you talk to, you come away with two completely different (and conflicting) views of the world.

So what do you think? Is reconciliation possible? If so, how can it be achieved? As of now, there appears to be so much bad blood (and I don't just mean since the election, but this entire 21st century thus far), I just can't conceive of any way America will ever be united again in our lifetime.

2. Texas Republican

Texas Republican Well-Known Member Past Donor

No, there is no chance of going back to where we were pre-1987 (when Ted Kennedy went psycho on Judge Bork). The country is divided; half are traditionalists (favoring small government) and half are authoritarians (demanding an all-powerful federal government).

I see little overlap in these two visions. There's just no common ground.

3. War is Peace

War is Peace Banned

The last time we were this greatly divided, Lincoln gave a short speech about it at Gettysburg.

4. ChristopherABrown

ChristopherABrown Well-Known Member

Good you are contemplating that then posting as you are.

Reconciliation is really ascending to a level of functionality that is adequate to accommodate competency of the people to move into action that assures global survival, then evolution.

Reconciliation is first education into natural law that is contained in Americas framing documents. From that, acceptance of these two inquiry create a potential for unity both culturally and lawfully that can restore fully constitutional government, or create it for the first time. It actually may have never fully existed. The recorded history of the nation indicates it did not.

The two inquiry that create unity upon strategy effective to conduct the American right to a lawful and peaceful revolution, the equitable use of law to "alter or abolish".

As a Citizen of a state of the united states for America, do you
    understand, agree and accept then DECLARE it is constitutional intent
    that the framers of the founding documents intended for us to alter or
    abolish government destructive to the ideal of our unalienable rights?

As a Citizen of a state of the united states for America, do you
    understand, agree, accept then DECLARE it is constitutional intent
    that the ultimate purpose of free speech be to enable the unity
    adequate to effectively alter or abolish government destructive to the ideal of our
    unalienable rights?

5. Mircea

Mircea Well-Known Member

The only hope at reconciliation is a restoration of the Constitution and this federal republic.

The cause of the schism is the Left, who are trying to crow-bar this federal republic into a unitary State.

The framers of the Constitution specifically chose a federal republic, because then as now, there's tremendous diversity in demographics, geology, geography, typography, hydrology and economics between the 50 States.

When you have a country as diverse as the US, the Left's "one-size-fits-all" philosophy serves to disenfranchise Millions of Americans, causing strife.

So long as the Left continues its push to crush the federal republic, it will only disenfranchise more people, making the schism even wider.

6. Eyeswideopen1989

Eyeswideopen1989 Banned

The liberal left has become far to radical. There is no reconciliation to be had with them. I just hope that their objectively false narratives and therefore ideology dies before the rest of us are forced to put them down through self defense.

7. slackercruster

slackercruster Banned

OP, don't think so unless the dems smarten up a lot.

Obama has created a confused society where they think a man with a penis is a woman and criminals here illegally are law abiding immigrants. They think Islam is a religion of peace and our borders should come down and people be allowed to come and go at will.

You tell them this person is not an immigrant, they are a illegal alien. Or you try to tell them that is a man, he has a penis, he is not a woman. You point out the atrocities of Islam, how they throw acid in women's faces, cut their clits off, cut their noses and ears off, behead people they don't agree with, stone girls to death that they say dishonor the family or behead a woman for going out of the house alone and on and on.

The dems will say no, your wrong. That is not a criminal, that is a legal immigrant. The borders should be open, we don't want any borders. Islam is a peace loving religion, you are Islamophobic and full of hate. And that is not a man with the penis, it is a woman. How can you have a discussion or reason with such dem nincompoops?

8. btthegreat

btthegreat Well-Known Member

There is no interest in compromise or civility with the lying defaming and anti-democratic republicans. They destroy everything they come near. Reconciliation equals appeasement and appeasement is weak and ineffective.

9. squidward

squidward Well-Known Member

No, too many leechers. The demand for free (*)(*)(*)(*) won't end until there is nothing left. The corporatists/collectivist will have everything and the rest of us will be glorified share croppers

10. HTownMarine

HTownMarine Well-Known Member Past Donor

No.

The left had devoted everything they had to Clinton. When she lost, they lost everything. They went all in on her and she failed miserably.

Now they're broke, embarrassed, and have got nothing to lose.

You see the number of people who are willing to destroy property for no reason? Does anyone think suddenly these people are just going to snap out of it one day and come to their senses?

It will get worse before it gets better. There's no avoiding it.

11. navigator2

navigator2 Banned

The Democrat party is in shambles.........a few short years ago when they thought they would rule unfettered forever by combining Wall Street, the Plantation, and illegals for bloc success. Republicans had serious issues, focusing on stupid social issues instead of watching the ball............the economy and smaller less intrusive government. Well Howdy Doo. Along comes a mover and shaker and slays both the beasts, to the horror of the very party he ran under. You can't make this stuff up. This could not have happened if mainstream America hadn't been so utterly disgusted with status quo of the Republican Party and the putrid vitriol of the left wing and their politically correct insanity.

Seth Bullock likes this.
  12. HTownMarine

HTownMarine Well-Known Member Past Donor

That's the thing with the dependent...

Once they become accustomed to something, it becomes expected. Take it away and the narrative then becomes 'that's rightfully mine, and you're taking it from me' when the truth is, it was never theirs.

If you give someone $1000 a week for years, and then suddenly decide to stop, that won't fly. People become dependent on it, and 'taking it' is seen as a threat, and an act of war.

13. Borat

Borat Banned

When "Make America great", "Buy American", "Hire Americans'", "America first" slogans and goals throw half the population into fits of uncontrollable rage, I can't possibly imagine what message, what platform and what middle ground can unite and reconcile the country.

14. Conviction

Conviction Well-Known Member

Making America great has never pissed off so many people.

15. Conviction

Conviction Well-Known Member

That is why I prefer decentralization when we can. Local governments, properly funded, are better apt to fix local problems.

16. squidward

squidward Well-Known Member

Anyone who feels entitled to something that is not his, and is willing to get government to extort it from others on his behalf, can die off for all I care

17. Senator Jack

Senator Jack Active Member

Is that a threat? :wink:

18. navigator2

navigator2 Banned

Sounds more like an involuntary body function, like puking after ingesting poison.

19. gamewell45

gamewell45 Well-Known Member Past Donor

I agree with you; the only way America could ever again be united as a whole is if we were attacked, went to war and were fighting for our very lives. Then you might see the cohesiveness we witnessed during WW II, otherwise It'll be business as usual for us.

20. vino909

vino909 Well-Known Member

Throw out all the incumbent congress people and you MIGHT have a snowball's chance in hell.

Seth Bullock likes this.
  21. Eyeswideopen1989

Eyeswideopen1989 Banned

A threat to defend ourselves against the violent, radical left who are fueled by hatred....yes. Yes it is.

22. robini123

robini123 Well-Known Member

To a degree yes I think reconciliation is possible as I think there are some shared interests on both sides. If Trump can have a positive impact on these shared interests then I think this will do much to bridge the gap between the left and the right.

23. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

So I have read all the responses to this point, and I am more optimistic than most.

I don't think a real Republican just won the presidency. I think an Independent won it, and I find this very encouraging.

And with this Independent as president, I think we have a far greater chance of healing up this country than we ever would have with Hillary Clinton or some establishment Republican.

Anyone care to drink to that? :beer:

24. EggKiller

EggKiller Well-Known Member

Sorry, wish I could. From my perspective the right has slowly moved center over the years. The left has gone completely off the tracks. That makes a train wreck.
    Atlas is shrugging.

25. navigator2

navigator2 Banned

What's wrong with center though? Hopefully there will be a migration from both sides to there. I do agree though, the far left needs to be neutralized. (CIA talk) :wink: