Industry and commerce.

Discussion in 'Other Off-Topic Chat' started by Brett Nortje, Jan 23, 2017.

1. Brett Nortje

Brett Nortje Well-Known Member

I was watching the news today, and found that one of the complaints was that "productivity is too low." this was a local news item on my local news program, so i suppose that we need to up productivity?

I suppose that the easiest way to up productivity is to get new robots into the factories and have the workers all moved to quality inspection teams, as, then there will be an absolute quality about these things, yes? if we kept all the staff and moved them onto much easier work rates, they will have a lot of effort moved onto the machines while they merely walk between them and maintain them.

This may require a two week long training program or less. the machines will require a capital outlay, but if they break down, the staff could take over and have ten times the staff on each one item at a time, leading to a great 'emergency plan.'

2. Brett Nortje

Let's look at the manufacturers as a business regarding profits? there are one hundred workers coming to 4,500.00 rand a month, leading to 450,000.00 rand a month, so the factory itself works on about half a million rand or 30,000.00 dollars a month for labor. then, the expenses of getting supplies in would be about 10.00 rand a product, yes? this means to make one item every ten minutes, on a eight hours day would come to 500 products per employee a month and then costs 5,000.00 expenses in rands for the month. this means they make 50,000 products a month and pay 1,000,000.00 or a million rand a month. this means to break even they need only sell every product for 200.00 rand a month, which is way under the margins.

So, if they were to mark the work up to say that they need to mark the products up by 20 times the production costs, yes? this means that they could incorporate machines with a capital outlay of about fifty thousand rand a machine, coming to a modest total, keep all the staff for quality purposes, and then double production, costing 10.00 to manufacture, and upping production no end, as the machines will make the products faster in the same time.

3. atheiststories

atheiststories Active Member

4. Brett Nortje

Recently, i found that most of the rejects that were being produced at a few factories would be cleared up by replacing the pipes and little things that collect air bubbles and other like glue sticky stuff and then there were no more rejects. this was at the beginning of the month, and, now i find that this is still the case, that of not producing rejects, of course.

If we want to spice up the factories a little bit, we should definitely play music there, not booming stuff, just a nice tune or two, yes? this will put a vibe into the factory where there was none before, of course.

Then, we should get a clerk into the factories to 'manage production.' this clerk could be a rotating position for the factory staff, where they count the goods each day, or, handle their own goods. this will require a 'hard machine' for counting and then 'attaining targets.'

Then, the machines could have their parts replaced every two months, of course. this will keep them with fresh parts and then they should eliminate the rejects completely, of course.

Overtime could be rolled into production time if they meet their targets ahead of schedule too. let's say a huge order comes through, and, there is a certain target for the workers, but they manage to finish before the time has elapsed? this would mean they could take a day off or get extra pay or something, as incentive to work overtime or to get the production through. to boost the efficiency of the factories, they could say they either all get the day off, or they all work that day, and, barring rejects, they could meet these demands, of course.

As for the staff, they could do the same with the time tables, so long as their cell phones are on so as to collect calls about production or orders reflecting their own areas of the work place. of course, if they were to want a day off, the best day to have off is wednesday, as the orders come in on monday or tuesday, after the arrival of cross country orders over the weekend, as it is no good waiting for orders during the week. this is because during hte week, there is work to be done, and, waiting for orders should be over the weekend, as that is down time, yes?

5. atheiststories

What's the aim of your musing? Do you work on the line or something? Are you a student?

6. Brett Nortje

It was just a musing.

7. atheiststories

A lot of what you're talking about exists. What's got you interested in manufacturing?

8. Brett Nortje

I was just looking to be recognized, i used to work in a factory.