3 guns can do it all.

Discussion in 'Gun Control' started by whinot, Jan 23, 2017.

1. whinot

whinot Banned

The AR15, the alloy framed 9mm Commander and the Micro9 Kimber, with a .22lr conversion unit for each. The 223 is winning 1000 yd matches these days. You can mail order other caliber uppers for taking big game, such as the .300 Blackout or 6.8, or the .458 SOCOMM for dangerous game. There are .22lr uppers that group 1" or better at 50 yds, which is all you can utilize in the field (with .22lr) anyway. The AR can be concealable in an attache case, or have a 26" barrel. It can have a .50 BMG upper on it, too. :)

The 1911 variant can have a .460 Rowland slide and barrel, offering 800 ft lbs of power, the equal of the .44 mag in the same sized gun, or it can have a lightened slide and shoot 380 type 9mm wuss-loads. It is a superb belt gun, and can be fully competitive at any match. The 460 can be 70 grs at over 2300 fps, with less recoil than .45 standard loads.

The Micro 9 handles like the 1911, and can offer 500 ft lbs of power in your front pants pocket holster (ie, 45 grs at 2000 fps) by being rechambered to take the 9x21mm case. This load has less recoil than a 9x18 Makarov blowback (which offers just 220 ft lbs) of striking force.

The .22 conversion units for each allow low cost, quiet training, on indoor ranges, and subsonic loads can be BB gun quiet when they are suppressed (if you use your non firing thumb to hold shut the bolt or slide). Sig makes the conversions for the pistols, and Ciener makes them for the AR.

All the above guns are super controlable in rapidfire and help to control the bad guys, so this post belongs in this forum. :)

The extra upper receiver groups for the AR, and the .22lr conversions and other caliber slides for the Commander are not considered to be guns, so they can be mailed to anyone. AR lower receivers and 1911 frames can be finish-machined rather easily, using 80% lowers and jigs from Stealth Arms, with no licenses and no FFL dealer being required. You are not required to put a serial number on such guns, either. AR lowers can also be made on 3D printers, just search YouTube for that info.

2. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

Probably need something else for duck/geese/pheasant/grouse/turkey.

3. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

You missed a gun--hard to wing shoot or hunt moving game with the above. I'd get rid of the little 9mm, and change it to a 12-Gauge Remington 870 pump with a 18" barrel and a 22" barrel with interchangeable chokes.

4. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

A 1911, an 870 and an AR in 5.56 w/ a 22LR upper cover pretty much all your firearms needs.

5. Rucker61

Rucker61 Well-Known Member

For me, I'd be satisfied with a CZ P01 with .22 kit, a Stoeger M3K with a spare 28" barrel and an AR with .22, .223 Wylde, .300 SBR and 6.8SPC II uppers.

6. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

I don't take issue with specialty rounds so long as you have the capacity to use the common calibers as well.

7. Greataxe

Greataxe Well-Known Member Past Donor

Well, that really is more than 3 guns. You also don't have a shotgun to hunt waterfowl or shoot clays.

Your choices can do many things, but not near all.

8. therooster

therooster Banned

Ah, why not have them all. This is America.

9. perdidochas

Well the thread is about a three gun armory to do it all.

Personally, I think the minimum armory an outdoorsman should have is five guns. 1) .22 handgun (for practicing and plinking) 2) .22 Rifle (same as pistol and small game hunting) 3) major caliber rifle (roughly .30-30 power level and above, IMHO, the .223 does not fulfill this requirement (and would be a 6th gun) 4) 12-guage shotgun and 5) major caliber pistol (9mm or above).

10. whinot

whinot Banned

all the birds have been shot with rifles before, by the 100's of thousands. Ive taken far more geese, on land or water, with a .22lr handgun than I ever did with a shotgun. you just have to realize, for a side shot, that at least an inch of what you see above water is just feathers. :) get above them, and get a shot from behind your bird and a good .22lr rifle (AR .22 unit) can reliably take geese to 100 yds, turkeys to about half that, cause their feathers are hard to penetrate.

11. Rucker61

Our Department of Wildlife frowns on that method of harvest.

12. whinot

whinot Banned

The 223 can do anything that the 30-30 ever did, and that means any N. American game animal. It will drop grizzly, moose, elk, to 100 yds, with brain hits. You guys ALL claim that you can easily hit a man's torso, 12" wide, at 1/4 mile, despite wind, mirage, etc. So that means you can easily hit the 6" brain circle at 200 yds. Geometry proves that. The 100 yd limit I set is making it super easy, by your own claims. A 223 softpoint to the brain drops them like rocks. In the 60's Colonel wesson took grizzly and elk with 357, 800 ft lbs, and I dont mean brain shots. Jim Carmichael author of "the Complete Book of the Rifle", bet his million dollar farm that he could take any N American game animal, under conditions of fair chase, with a .22 Hornet, and bet another 50k that he could do so with 2 shots or less. The hornet has half the power of the 223, and no rapidfire potential.

13. Crownline

Crownline Banned at Members Request

I don't know where you live but I am not allowed to take migratory game birds with a rifle or pistol.

14. Rucker61

Our Department of Wildlife frowns on that method of harvest.

15. perdidochas

Nowhere in the U.S is it legal to kill migratory game birds with a rifle or pistol. The only geese that it's legal to kill with a pistol on the water would be a domesticated one out of your own pond (i.e. a bird you owned).

16. TOG 6

TOG 6 Well-Known Member

This was my understanding as well, being federal law.

17. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

If I could have only 3 guns (no extra barrels, no caliber conversion) they would be a scoped AR-15, a 12 guage Remington 870, and a Glock 21 pistol.

4th would be a .22 rifle

18. ARDY

ARDY Well-Known Member Past Donor

Seth
    Just curious from ignorance
    What is the niche that the ar fills for you?

19. whinot

whinot Banned

the main reason I have a 9mm belt gun is that the pocket 9mm's aint all that durable. Best use a near-380 level wuss-load in them if you are going to shoot more than about 1000 rds a year thru one (any of them, especially an alloy framed one like the Sig or Kimber). i like to shoot at least 10,000 centerfire pistol rds per year, so the (very similar) belt gun is required for the high level of durability needed

20. Crownline

Correct, but I don't know that the OP is in the US.

21. perdidochas

based on the way he writes, he's a native American speaker. Don't know if he lives in the U.S., but he is American, and IMHO, a bull(*)(*)(*)(*)ter.

22. Crownline

I concur with the last part.

23. Xenamnes

Xenamnes Banned

Then you are freely admitting, of your own volition, to committing numerous federal-level felony offenses.

As these posts cannot be modified after a period of approximately ten minutes, and thus destroy the evidence, they will now be reported to the forum staff, so that they may be forwarded onto the proper authorities for investigative and prosecution purposes.

24. Small Town Guy

Small Town Guy Well-Known Member Past Donor

Just post your real name and state and the feds will be along shortly... what a maroon :roll::roll: You wouldn't by chance just be trying to give legitimate and lawful gun owners a black eye on purpose would you?

25. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

Hi Ardy,

Funny story about the AR. My wife wanted to go grocery shopping, and I didn't want to go. I just wanted to laze around the house, and I promised her I would bring in the groceries when she got home. But she reeeeeeally wanted me to go with her, so I gave in and went. Where we grocery shop is also a department store with a sporting goods section. So while she was shopping groceries, I wandered off to the sporting goods section. Short story: I left there with our groceries and my new AR-15 rifle. I have added a high power scope and a couple other modifications. Earlier this year I shot a feral hog in Texas with it right in the ear hole where I was aiming at about 80 yards or so.

So you asked what niche it fills. If I were limited to only three firearms, they of course would be "working guns"; that is, not fun guns. They would be guns with a distinct survival related purpose. The handgun would be for close-in self defense if neither the rifle or shotgun were available, and the pistol is concealable. I own a Glock 21 (it is .45 caliber), and I shoot it a lot. It is rugged and accurate. The shotgun is an awesome self defense weapon within its range. It can also take birds for food when loaded with birdshot or deer when loaded with slugs, so, you see, it is a very flexible firearm.

The scope-equipped AR can also take game, but at extended ranges that the shotgun cannot accurately reach. It can also place very accurate fire at an adversary at extended ranges, well beyond the range of the shotgun. It can also hold a lot more ammo than the shotgun. I have 20 and 30-round magazines for it, so if there was an extended firefight, the AR could fire an awful lot ammo before I had to start reloading magazines. The .556 round can defeat soft body armor and many kinds of cover that the pistol and shotgun cannot. Once again, it is a flexible weapon. It is not the best sniper rifle, but it can be used as one. It is not the best hunting rifle, but it can be used as one. And of course, it is a pretty darn good combat weapon, as it is identical to the US military battle rifle except that it is semi-automatic only.

My AR stays locked in a safe, and I do not anticipate ever using it against people unless there were some sort of complete societal breakdown in the future for some reason. I could also see using it to fight off the North Korean army if they ever got into boats, sailed across the sea, and tried to land on the fair shores of my Pacific Northwest. In that case, I would stop at McDonald's on my way to the coast and buy about 1000 quarter pounders with cheese, and I would salt our beaches with this bait. They're North Koreans, so you know they're going to be hungry when they arrive, and a stationary target is easier to hit than a moving target.

But, alas ... I have a feeling the US Navy would ruin all my best laid plans before they even had a chance to land ... *sigh* ... and the McDonald's food would end up getting eaten by the crabs, dammit.

Regards, Seth