Trump already in violation of Constitution.

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by theferret, Jan 23, 2017.

1. theferret

theferret Well-Known Member

Bottom line: instead of just putting all of his business holdings in a blind trust, Trump wants to still be in control of all that carries his name, and thinks shuffling partial ownership to his family is sufficient....THAT is a violation of the Constitution regarding his serving as President.

http://www.heraldnet.com/news/suit-with-trump-in-office-businesses-violate-constitution/

This reminds me of Nixon's delusional statement during the Frost interview, "...it's not illegal if the President does it!"

Guno likes this.
  2. Dutch

Dutch Well-Known Member Past Donor

Impeeeeeeeeeeeach!!!!!!!!! :steamed:

3. doombug

doombug Well-Known Member

Maybe it is not illegal but "extremely careless". Yanno, like Hillary's private server.

4. Talon

Talon Well-Known Member Past Donor

Fake news.

According to your article:

Needless to say, filing a lawsuit and making claims does not constitute a conviction.

5. perdidochas

perdidochas Well-Known Member

Well, there are several issues, only one of which is constitutional. There is no constitutional requirement for a blind trust/etc. That has been a customary tradition. The only Constitutional entanglement is with the Emoluments clause--Article I, Section 9 of the Constitution, but honestly, it could be argued that applies to gifts, not earned money.
    From Article I, Section 9
    It's up to the courts to decide that if foreign companies rent a room, that it is considered an emolument, instead of a simple transaction.

6. AlpinLuke

AlpinLuke Well-Known Member

In Italy we had Berlusconi [do you remember how Americans made jokes about Italy and Berlusconi?] and he didn't managed to organize a "blind trust". We are lucky enough that our Constitution doesn't require this.

Why? The "Blind Trust" is the most ridiculous, useless and false political invention ever.

Are you seriously sustaining that if Trump passes all to a son this means that he is no more in control? Oh please ...

7. Penrod

Penrod Well-Known Member

Only two people in the Federal government are exempt form this clause those being the President and Vice President

Heres all you need take from that link

8. Burzmali

Burzmali Well-Known Member Past Donor

There's contention over whether the emoluments clause even applies to elected offices. Those debates all have to revolve around intent, though, since there isn't any case law on the matter. Maybe this will settle it once and for all.

9. vman12

vman12 Well-Known Member Past Donor

You might want to go look at the 1989 amendment which absolves the President, specifically, of those types of conflicts of interest.

10. Penrod

Penrod Well-Known Member

Please tell me which of these he is receiving from anyone paying for a room at his hotel , a present, Emolument, Office, or Title, of any kind whatever, from any King, Prince, or foreign State. ?

11. RPA1

RPA1 Well-Known Member Past Donor

With the left, it is always the 'seriousness of the allegation' not the real facts....

12. SillyAmerican

SillyAmerican Well-Known Member

I hope the high court weighs in and settles the matter, because if Trump's presidency is even a partial success, we may be looking at more and more of these situations.

I honestly think the lefties are overstating this concern. I'm not saying that it shouldn't be constantly looked at, I'm saying that Trump has done a good deal to alleviate even the appearance of a problem.

Exactly. When Trump's attorney announced that any Trump hotel profits derived from foreign governments will go directly to the U.S. Treasury, any and all interpretations of that statement which could possibly apply to Trump were removed.

13. YouLie

YouLie Well-Known Member

Beep, beep.

That's Trump the Road Runner zipping by while the Wile E. Coyote Democrats are still setting the trap.

14. FreshAir

FreshAir Well-Known Member Past Donor

yes, and like her email, this will haunt him for the next 4 years

15. vman12

They don't have a concern, they have a goal. This is why they're flapping around in the wind grabbing at anything they think they can use against Trump.

Progs finding the Constitution is like an life-long atheist finding God. It just doesn't make sense.

Of course, everything they're doing with these daily threads is useless and highly amusing.

Bravo Duck likes this.
  16. Genius

Genius Active Member

I don't care.

17. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

Actually there is a group in the RNC looking into exactly that - they are currently building the case. I doubt he will last much beyond 100 days

18. Merwen

Merwen Well-Known Member

At least what he does is clear to all to see, not the sneaky manner in which much of our elite has tipped the legislative and tax scales over the years.

I personally don't care how much Trump profits from his various enterprises as long as he leaves fair room for the rest of us to do so as well.

19. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

Sorry but on a thread complaining about Trumps lack of transparency you are complaining about lack of transparency??

Where are Trumps tax returns??

20. Merwen

Merwen Well-Known Member

So what? They are probably a convoluted mess, and will just give the media propaganda mill endless detail to smear, distort, and obscure more important issues. Few people are able to understand our unfair and oppressive tax laws, which presently are designed to benefit only those affluent enough to hire tax attorneys, and the rest of us have little background in the subject; this would offer our sellout media infinite opportunity to criticize Trump no matter what he had done taxwise. Trump honestly admitted he had used our presently unfair tax laws to benefit from them, but he also maintained that they were unfair, and that he would work to change that.

No matter what Trump did or how successful he was in the past, in business or otherwise, I am interested in what he is doing here and now...and I am sick of the perverse quibbles of the "two step forward, one step back crowd". Do something useful for a change, like trying to help the rest of us figure out how everyone in this country that wants a job can have one.

21. Deno

Deno Well-Known Member

What difference does it make now :roflol:

22. therooster

therooster Banned

I don't think you can prove intent ! So what can ya do?

23. therooster

therooster Banned

Oooh intent. I heard that's tough to prove.

24. vman12

I'm sure he's terrified.

25. goofball

goofball Banned

I'm pretty sure it will haunt liberals much more than it does Trump.