McCain warns against pulling out of the Transpacific Parnership

Discussion in 'Political Opinions & Beliefs' started by Bowerbird, Jan 24, 2017.

1. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

President Trump's decision to withdraw the U.S. from the Trans-Pacific Partnership trade deal is already drawing rebuke from his own Republican Party. Shortly after it was announced Monday that Trump had signed the executive order, Sen. John McCain (R-Ariz.) issued a statement calling Trump's move a "serious mistake."

http://theweek.com/speedreads/675215/mccain-rips-trump-withdrawing-from-top

I mean we Aussies are just rubbing our hands with glee - a trade deal with China WITHOUT America competing for our deals - yes please!!!!

.McCain warned the decision to withdraw from the 12-nation deal would "have lasting consequences for America's economy and our strategic position in the Asia-Pacific region." "This decision will forfeit the opportunity to promote American exports, reduce trade barriers, open new markets, and protect American invention and innovation," McCain wrote, instead advocating for a "positive trade agenda" that will ensure American workers and companies stay "competitive" in the Asia-Pacific region.

This deal has been brokered by more than America, and although I am no economist it does have a lot of promise for us. Certainly our mining industry, which has had a recent downturn will do well from this

2. doombug

doombug Well-Known Member

"Promote American exports" :roflol: :roflol: :roflol: ....that would be a first. McCain is still fighting Charlie in his senile mind.

3. Cherub786

Cherub786 Member

Protectionism is such a destructive philosophy, and it usually appeals to the lowest common denominator of society. When times are a little tough suddenly you see the xenophobia come out of many otherwise ordinary people. The same is true with protectionism; it is rooted in negative feelings like fear and anxiety. Trump is taking the nation down this path of decline. It will hardly make America "Great Again", in fact, just the opposite. The OP is an Australian and his remarks are evidence of this fact.

4. Steady Pie

Steady Pie Well-Known Member Past Donor

McCain is a neocon thug who sorely needs to be shot by a firing squad after a lengthy and distressing trial.

I'm almost happy that the yanks dodged that bullet in 2008. Then again, at least McCain is pretty upfront about who he is unlike the other candidate in that election.

Trump should keep his promise and burn the TPP. Burn it on the white house lawn.

5. Belch

Belch Well-Known Member

Sorry to pop that bubble, but competition does not require trade deals. You'll be stuck with trading with China according to the rules of TPP, while we make our own rules.

6. Merwen

Merwen Well-Known Member

Another nice side effect will be that indigenous farmers in that area, along with their land and valuable heirloom seed stocks, will be safer from the manipulations of Monsanto and other GMO-pushing companies...unlike, I believe, the Ukraine, and many rural farmers in India....

7. AlphaOmega

AlphaOmega Well-Known Member Past Donor

If youre running your hands with glee now then why are leftists so against this?
    Regardless, glad you are happy, we are too. Trump has made everyone happier and day 2 hasnt even started. Cant wait to see what presents we get today.

8. garyd

garyd Well-Known Member

Apparently you are unfamiliar with Golden Rice.

9. Merwen

Merwen Well-Known Member

I am not one to maintain all GMOs are bad...it's the nature of the marketing being used in the third world, and the subsequent destruction of small farmers and their heirloom seeds, that trouble me.

It's quite clear that the large corporations want to control our food supply and access to it, even if it means blatantly suing innocent farmers whose crops are invaded and fertilized by their GMOs' pollen, and by introducing "kill" genes to seed stocks.

10. Seth Bullock

Seth Bullock Well-Known Member Past Donor

We have a gigantic trade imbalance, and this guy wants more of the same. And the people of the US want to be at peace in the world, and all this guy wants is more and more more war.

I just don't get what the state of Arizona sees in this guy.

11. garyd

garyd Well-Known Member

In fact in order to appease the Rifkin Crowd Most GMO's are not supposed to be self fertilizing. Essentially they are supposed to be like mules.

12. Merwen

Merwen Well-Known Member

Stupid is as stupid does. If true, that is just the sort of reason why we should have more government by Thinkers rather than Feelers...and more political action, too. Unfortunately, it is a lot easier to get up steam over a Judgement than a Thought...although some of us manage...sort of....

13. garyd

garyd Well-Known Member

The decision had nothing to do with government It was done to appease the anti GMO Crowd and preserve heirloom seeds, and of course then the GMO crowd turned around and claimed that Monsanto et al were trying to put small farmers out of business. No matter what Monsanto does they can't please Rifkin's technophobic crazies.

14. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

By all means make your own rules; however if nobody agrees to your terms in a deal because they're either too onerous or one-sided you'll end up trading with nobody. It takes two to make a deal, and that involves compromise-a concept which is foreign to Mr.Trump, but which he will soon have to learn how to do. He can bark orders all he wants in his corporation, but that won't work in the world of international politics and trade.

15. PARTIZAN1

PARTIZAN1 Well-Known Member

I hope that you used the "fighting Charlie" blurt as a figure of speech Becausecas you know McCain was actually fighting the NVA- North Vietnamese Army since most if not all of his missions where over "the North" where he was shot down. "Charlie" or VC were the Dow South where I was !
    More importently just because you disagree with MCain you do not have to throw crap on McCain's service to our country as your hero the Lying Turd Trump did.

I am not strongly pro or against the TPP because I would need to see the details. I understand that Sen Sanders is opposed to it but I have not paid enough attention to why he is. Are you throwing crap on the TPP just because Obama was for it?

Are you opposed to the TPP for some specific reasons that you feel are harmful to the American economy?
    If so then I will listen. If you make a good case I may even agree with you. Yet you will not convince me or those you think as I do when you attack a fellow Vietnam Vet and degrade his service to our country.

Bowerbird likes this.
  16. cerberus

cerberus Well-Known Member Past Donor

Ah, maybe that's why he's such a warmonger - he wants to keep the memories of his glory-days alive.

17. Belch

Belch Well-Known Member

Yes, it does make two to make a deal, and that's what Trump is very good at. He didn't become a multi-billionaire by making deals nobody agrees to.

18. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

19. doombug

doombug Well-Known Member

McCain is so senile he does not know the difference in North or South....that is the point. I am sure they are all the same in his racist republican eyes anyway, right comrade?

Well, I figured since Bernie was against TPP all lefties would be against it as well but I forget there is a faction of dems that are basically neocons who support the establishment. After all Hillary did call TPP the "gold standard". With Bill Clinton having signed NAFTA who could expect any different than old Hillary selling out the US worker as well.

20. Belch

Belch Well-Known Member

21. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

I don't need to; I'm quite successful in my own right, but thanks for the suggestion.

22. Belch

Belch Well-Known Member

So you don't need billions? Then don't rag on a guy who turned a few million into a few billion. He's successful in the real world, and that's why he got elected. We're tired of career politicians talking. We wanted and got somebody who actually knows how to make money, rather than simply spending it.

23. snakestretcher

snakestretcher Banned

Making money and running the world's most powerful nation are polar opposites. Success in one is not a guarantor of success in the other. Wait and see...

24. Right is the way

Right is the way Well-Known Member

China is not part of the transpacific partnership so you might have to do a little rethinking.

25. BestViewedWithCable

BestViewedWithCable Well-Known Member

John McCain is on George soros payroll