The Brexit Supreme Court Ruling

Discussion in 'Western Europe' started by James7, Jan 24, 2017.

1. James7

James7 Active Member

They could have done it all very differently and this has NOT been a "victory for democracy".

The ruling is based on the fear that triggering Article 50 would affect UK law and the rights of the UK citizen.

Can't we simply KEEP EU law which has become UK law after Article 50 is triggered?

You need an Act of Parliament to change UK law but you don't need an Act of Parliamnet to trigger Article 50. The reason for this is because after Article 50 is triggered ALL the EU laws which have become UK law could REMAIN until changed with individual Acts of Parliament where appropriate.

Doesn't this make so much more sense?

2. Cheddar

Cheddar Member

Read Article 50 carefully. It is merely a requirement under the Lisbon Treaty that we (in this case) have to formally tell the EU that we are leaving. Note: that we ARE leaving - not that we would LIKE to leave. A bit silly, really, since the referendum result mandated the Government to get us out of the EU and since that result was broadcast worldwide, you could say that Article 50 was thereby 'triggered' anyway. Which makes Gina what's her name's challenge and the subsequent courts rulings rather superfluous. It's called 'Red Tape' and just serves to line the judiciary's pockets.

I think you will find that nothing will change until we actually leave. Hopefully in a shorter time span than the 2 years being talked about.

3. LafayetteBis

LafayetteBis Well-Known Member Past Donor

Nonsense, the manner in which a country leaves needs to be negotiated as regards multiple complex issues, which is why some length is given to the negotiation and even to the mechanisms involved post-exit. It aint as eazy as u thunk.

The Brits voted to leave by a considerable margin in the plebiscite, about 5%. So, there is not much left but to sit by and watch the rot set into the British Economy as on a whimsy it extracts itself from its major trading partner.

Clapping all the while when Scotland votes to remain in the EU and divides itself from "Great Britain". (Interesting is the conjecture surrounding a Northern Ireland (which voted to stay in) that might exit from Great Britain as well!)

Bravo the Brits! You can eff-up a free-lunch just like we Yanks. Britain, again, waives the rules! :eyepopping:

4. James7

James7 Active Member

Is a YES to Brexit vote absolutely guaranteed in the Commons?

5. Cheddar

Cheddar Member

Nothing in government is guaranteed. Gordon Brown promised a referendum before he signed the Lisbon Treaty. I don't recall us having one, and he was so politically gutless that he turned up late to the signing ceremony. Clearly the dodgy duo of Downing Street thought a 'remain' vote was guaranteed - and you know how that went. However, I believe that any MP who votes against triggering Article 50 will be committing political suicide.

6. PoliticalHound

PoliticalHound Banned

I didn't vote because I saw the impossible problem.

I had good people with good intentions knocking at my door for months. Asking me questions on the phone. Running after me in the shopping districts.

I told them all the same thing. When The UK leaves. It will be much harder to get back in when your dreams all end in tears.

7. alexa

alexa Well-Known Member Past Donor

Almost certainly because they feel they must vote for it because of the Referendum. Labour has put a three line whip on people to vote yes. Now whether the eventual 'agreement' will be accepted or not is something else. Personally I am getting interested in Independence again. My daughter says she cares not one bit if we become a lot poorer she just wants out of where May is taking the UK....but you know what, I am not even sure we would be poorer than where Brexit is taking the UK and for that reason I now think MP's should vote with their conscience. It was not a massive win - just 52% to 48% and why take your country down the drain if that can be avoided.