Australia Day

Discussion in 'Australia, NZ, Pacific' started by Bowerbird, Jan 26, 2017.

1. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

Okay - throwing this open for a couple of questions - and sorry should have posted this yesterday but had just done 12 hour night duty and brain was bye bye

1. Should we keep the day on the 26th Jan as Australia Day or should we move it to a less contentious day and just really make it about a celebration of being ourselves?

2. What do you think about the Australia Day awards?

Main winners

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2017-01-25/australian-of-the-year-2017-winners-alan-mackay-sim/8212694

Rural winners

http://www.abc.net.au/news/rural/ru...-day-honours/8210196?WT.ac=localnews_brisbane

More contentious political winners

http://www.smh.com.au/national/2017...-gillard-appointed-an-ac-20170119-gtunse.html

2. m2catter

m2catter Well-Known Member

Hi Bb,
    yes we should move the date, long overdue (since 1994).
    It is just a question of time, a new date will be set (more likely under leftish government I believe).....
    No idea in regards to winners, there are so many people out there doing great things.....
    Cheers

3. scarlet witch

scarlet witch Well-Known Member Past Donor

I agree, they should move the date to Federation day the 1st of January, they can just add the second of Jan as a public holiday

4. slipperyfish

slipperyfish Well-Known Member

I am not too fussed either way. I celebrate Australia day because I am a proud Australian. Note I said "AUSTRALIAN".

I enjoy the freedom to drive my car, give my kids a good education, use the internet to gripe and whine about what is not right with the world. I also enjoy the fact we have a very good armed forces protecting our borders, I even love the convenience of a mobile phone and at the same time deplore them for their deterioration of society. You guessed it, I love a cold beer, and also a good feed at a nice restaurant. I certainly take for granted the fact that we still have one of the worlds best health care and love to play and watch footy. This is because I am Australian.

Funny thing about time, it waits for no man. Father times great partner, progress, usually runs along side. Now I am not here to make light of the serious crimes and misdeeds of the past, in no way am I saying to disregard. You see the past is so very important. It teaches us right from wrong, and therefore we must reflect upon it from time to time, to make sure we never repeat our mistakes. However move on we must, into the future.

Having divisive arguments such as this only highlights the fact that we are far too consumed with segregating ourselves through divisive labelling.

Invasion day to some, Liberation Day to others. That is for the arguments of fools. For me I choose to move on and accept that we really are a great nation, sure we have had our troubles, all nations do. Sure we have our skeletons, but then we are not Robinson Curusoe.

The important thing is to recognise ourselves for all the good things that we are, not just the bad things that we were. In any case there is nobody alive today that this so labelled "Invasion" affected. Funny thing is that all those protesting the hardest still enjoy everything the so called "Invaders" brought to them.

Change the day or not, doesn't really matter. Only a change in attitude will change the way things are.

5. Bowerbird

Not a bad idea however it would end with a week long party and I don't know if there is enough Berocca and Alka seltzer in the country to cope with that :D

6. Bowerbird

I would like us to ditch the "Queen's Birthday" holiday but that would leave us one short and THAT is a road no politician will navigate. Perhaps though we make what is now "Queens Birthday" our Australia Day and make one public holiday "Environmental day" - the day we give back to the country itself something - whether that be cleaning a waterway or planting a tree we are committed to doing something nice for this beautiful country we live in

7. scarlet witch

:lol: I think we're going to have to channel the queen's birthday and pick any date

8. scarlet witch

btw we didn't go to the parade, because despite my daughter being a girl guide they had this discussion at school and she didn't feel comfortable participating.

We did however go down to the beach to watch the fireworks.

9. slipperyfish

slipperyfish Well-Known Member

As I said before I don't really care about the date, as changing it does not mean it will change the attitude. People will just fixate on some other date, or time. It is the attitude in which we look at things that must change, not dates and not times.

Environmental day. Could work, an extension on Clean Up Australia day perhaps.

As a fan of breaking ties with the Queen, no dramas from me.

10. Bowerbird

Like a lot of us I am uncomfortable with some of the more radical views around this because although I have every sympathy and even stand in horror at a lot of what was done - we have to move on. But even with the radicalisation this has brought significant changes to our cultural outlook and that is never a bad thing.

Slow changes - and those who think that our history in relation to the Indigenous people of Australia was "not that bad" I offer this

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_massacres_of_Indigenous_Australians

It is sorrowful and sobering reading. Too many stories where there were no reprisals for mass slaughter

11. Bowerbird

That is what I thought - might be a really good thing for a lot of reasons = Oh! there will be Bogan Bull(*)(*)(*)(*)ers who will use the day to trash what they can but I think it would help promote a love and respect for our country, As I said it need not be a big thing - could just be walking up the road picking up litter

12. garry17

garry17 Well-Known Member

IF you consider that Australia day is to celebrate being Australian and to welcome new Australians, those who wish to complain that it is remembrance of something else (Such as invasion day) are typically saying they are NOT Australian and that Australians invaded them on this day couple hundred years ago.

While people wish to discuss such as some sort of insult, it is clear that the conversation is derisive and they are NOT going to accept anything to celebrate and embrace their nation because they are complaining it is NOT their nation.

Changing the date does no good, you could pick any day out of 360days of the year and it will still be complained about because these people are suggesting they will never be a part.

13. truthvigilante

truthvigilante Well-Known Member Past Donor

Yeah, just a given. It needs to be changed. I heard that various states celebrated their national day at different dates up until the 40's until all states decided to change to NSW date, which is the 26th. Most people don't know what the actual 26th January represents so won't be fussed at all and will cherish celebrating a national day whenever it was. I suppose for Aborigines the remnants of this still live with them to this day. I think a few nasty insensitives were in control when they decided to celebrate it on this day, or those that wanted to paint early Australian history in a good light to rid themselves of guilt. Time to change it and stop being rediculously insensitive to our first people. The oldest living culture on the planet I understand. It's important for all of us to be able to celebrate our national day without any dark shadows.

The more I think about it the more rediculous it seems that we celebrate it on this day. They're my thoughts.

I love the awards they're a great touch to recognise our hard working and innovative people. Not sure of all recipients due to being busy. Australia Day must be celebrated but on another day.

As we become more mature in our thinking and knowledge about our history we can help to make changes that support with moving forward on reconciliation. Many Aborigines will be appreciative of it and acknowledgement of their plight. It won't be the end of the issues but will continue to help heal wounds!

14. Bowerbird

I am all for healing. We cannot bring back the dead but I would like to see some real memorials and markers erected telling of some of these stories. I know that is hard as some may not feel comfortable but I think it needs to be done. There are places on this land I will not tread. The ghosts are too strong

15. m2catter

Hmmm,
    not sure, it (the date) matters more to some people as you might think....
    Regards

16. truthvigilante

truthvigilante Well-Known Member Past Donor

It is amazing how much actual Indigenous history there is. I feel absolutely ignorant on a topic that has been glaring me right in the face. Little things like changing the date from the 26th will have no bearing on an ignorant public as long as there is a holiday to celebrate it. Honestly I didn't know the significance of Australia Day date until a couple of years ago but yet have celebrated it every year of my life. In a group of about 50 men from middle age to elderly, not one actually knew the significance a few years ago. I felt relieved I wasn't the only ignorant one!

Yes, would be good to mark some of the massacre sites. I know motivations and reasons can be argued but you can't argue that women and children were not exempt from the horror!

17. garry17

Ok let us try this again. I can understand people want to have a respectable and serious discussion on changing the date of Australia day. However, I will point out that having a fair respectable discussion begins with actually knowing what Australia day is about. Clearly from many comments lack of understanding allows people to fabricate issues with the concept.

In the first I don't have issue this year with recipients of the Awards, even giving Gillard recognition. I am proud to say Australia day awards in general were well awarded.

To the point, I am sure everybody on this forum has heard this. Australia day is a day of national pride. Clearly, growing to hear this has fallen on death ears. Previous protest was that it was said to be “day of national sorry” and so on demonstrating that the date has no bearing on the discussion.

Now a day of National pride is NOT national day of pride. While it appears to be a pedantic point both statements have huge differences as one is a day to feel proud of who you are and the other is a day to celebrate creating Australia.

I often laugh at the lengths immigrants and new Australia’s go to on Australia day. The garish and gaudy displays of Australian flags in the front yard flags on windows even wearing shirts with the patterns of the Australian flag and many other Australian slogans on banners pronouncing how proud they are to be called Australian, to be welcomed in general as Australian and to be given all the advantages and privileges given to all Australian citizens, and that was just the one person I meet the other day.

How can you have a respectful conversation about anything if you could not be bothered finding out what it is about??? That in itself is insulting, but to then fabricate an understanding that being proud of who you are is wrong as it conflicts with history, OF WHICH has nothing to do with a day of national pride. That is completely disrespectful to all who are proud of who they are.

I also find it ridicules that people who arrive only on the last few years know and understand what a day of national pride is and celebrate it by showing their pride while Australians want to insult that price by pretending they are celebrating something that happened 200 years before. More disrespect.

Just like ANZAC day, where people are foolish enough to consider it is a celebrations of war and not a sad day of recognition and thanks to people who gave their all so they can sit up at their keyboard or burn that Australian flag in their confected rage, Australia day is about celebrating being Australian, welcoming New Australians accepted to live and join the community, to award and celebrate those people who go far beyond simply participation for the world and Australia.

If you want respectable conversation at least have the respect to consider what it is about.

18. Diuretic

Diuretic Well-Known Member

When did it become such a big deal? I remember a lot of Australia Days and they were really just another long weekend. No flag waving, no demos (of any persuasion) and no big Aussie themed (*)(*)(*)(*)-ups. The Monday was hangover day (nod to BB on that one). I have no idea when but I'm going to point at Howard, it became a big patriotic thing. We never used to be so bolshie for the flag, the day, the symbols and all that other stuff. I liked it that way. It was low key and reflected who we were - and we weren't a mob of flag-wavers.

Yes move it. It's NSW Day in truth. The rest of us are also-rans on that one. Move it to a day to be determined and give us a public holiday, we don't have enough of them so I don't want to lose one. As has been pointed out, we became a nation on 1/1 but we cannot sacrifice a public holiday just to move Australia Day so 1/1 is definitely out.

How about 10 October? That's the day Jackie Howe shore 321 sheep in a day - with hand shears. It's a record that's still standing.

19. m2catter

If you want respectable conversation at least have the respect to consider what it is about.

What is is about?
    If it is meant as a day of pride, joy and celebrations for all Australians, the ones who lived here for the last 40.000 years, the ones who arrived 200 odd years back (and basically settled/invaded this continent) or those, who still arrive in planes (remember, boats are out of question due to other populist narratives).

So, what is it all about?

Certainly it is not about Aborigines, as the 26th of January marks the day that the first settlers arrived, a day on which many Abos are tempted to throw up. Quite as simple as that....

You want to have a day for all? Choose a new date...

And do us a favour and keep ANZAC Day out of this topic.....
    Regards

20. garry17

I had considered not responding to certain people as they are not here for reasonable discussion they are only here to insult and denigrate all while trying to impress their own idea of standards on others.

However, let me state again, for the clarification of those who have no idea what Australia day is about.

Australia day is about celebrating being Australian. That is showing your pride of being Australian, That is celebrating who you are. Australia day is a day of national pride, clear demonstration your are proud to be AUSTRALIAN.

Australia day is NOT about celebrating Australian history it is not about celebrating boat arrivals. It is not about celebration of past events battles or even interests.

So here we see a person who clearly demonstrates they have NO idea what celebrating being Australian is all about. I pointed out that Immigrants know more about the meaning of Australia day, as a supposed advocate of these people one would think they would take notice and talk to them, especially when they wish to berate them for the very pride they show.

And NO it is not about aborigines, it is not about Muslims, it is not about boat people it is not about America, it is not about anything else other than being proud to be an inclusive nation called Australia AND not a nation of divided individuals protesting and demonising Australia for their own agenda’s.

I do believe the point made here is that certain people continue to want to divide the nations for their own ill-gotten purpose so they can pretend to be tolerant and wear that tolerance as some sort of badge to berate people with. Unfortunately their vehement attacks with their badge of honour only demonstrates their own racism and bigotry as they continue to divide the nation for no good purpose than to please their own false sensibilities.

Just a note on Anzac day, It too is degraded by these in more demonstration of ignorance of understanding and intent. Exactly the same as with Australia day. A classic example of the ignorance shown...

21. Bowerbird

How can we deny out history?

To ignore history is to be condemned to repeat it. The fact it is a day of hurt for some is enough for me to say - it is not a big deal let us move it. Yes keep it AUSTRALIAN - whatever that means but perhaps also make it a national day of togetherness - whether that be because you are a Muslim Australian, a Murri/Koori Australian, an Indian Australian a Greek Australian or even a revved up Bogan Aussie. I have to agree with D about the hype - and I have a HUGE issue with us buying this crap from overseas so that we can flag wave on one day - but since it is mostly the Bogans that are being ripped off by the chaap faux Aussie imports, well..........

22. garry17

This is true, we cannot deny history and should not shun the truth no matter what.

A day of hurt??? Look I am happy to concede that some ignorant to not only the intention of Australia day may be misguided as to the understanding of what the day is about. It is supposed to be a national day of togetherness, it is to celebrate we are ALL Australians. It is about celebrating being Australian. To suggest the day is painful because of same confected claim of empathy of something that occurred over 200 years ago claiming that their pain is from being deprived of something they know absolutely nothing about is complete crap. It is a construct designed to degrade being Australian NOTHING MORE. If you really were true to wanting to insure you remember history so as not to repeat then you would not want change the date. I do not insight insult I just pause to point out changing the date for some fake belief that it will change the attitude of these people, will only hasten to forget the history that needs not repeating.

By labelling people as "Muslim Australian, a Murri/Koori Australian, an Indian Australian a Greek Australian or even a revved up Bogan Aussie" clearly it does not constitute what the day is about. It is showing pride that you are ALL Australian. Not this type or that type of Australian but just plain Australian. I always laughed at a scene in a movie called blazing Saddles when the star of the show went to his fellow slaves asking for them to join the bigoted town he was Sherriff of when they said, they will work with "woks, ******, blacks, sepos, Jews (and a few more I cannot recall) but NOT THE IRISH." When confronted "OOHH OK the Irish as well" . Clearly people remain to divide Australians into demographic groups in attempt to denigrate being Australian.

Talk about buying things overseas, we could talk about globalisation but the point of buying all the Australian flags was not to say Australians should be flag waving nationalists it was to point out NEW Australians emigrating to Australia have far more understanding and demonstrate far more pride in being Australian with Garish, Gaudy and corny displays than Australian’s themselves. To many it appears the ONLY way they can demonstrate their efforts to join the nation.

If you look around the globe ALL nations hold a day of national pride. Many of the new Australians come from nations that if you do not celebrate your national pride, you will most likely never see another one… Talk about being in the lucky country.
    I looked at “D”’s response and I was a little taken back. I had considered he was old enough to see the way older Australians celebrate, perhaps I was wrong. It is not about waving the flag and standing on soap boxes. It is about taking a day, joining in Australian activities of celebrating community achievers who go above just being part of the community. Having a BBQ and few drinks with your mates taking the kids to the park and partaking in Australian activities such as cricket, touch or just party games as the three legged race, and the list goes on. To say it appears not to mean much, is simply because they do not join in…

23. garry17

And further to the confected claim of the date being painful
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/First_Fleet

It may be wiki (and I do believe it to be a guide not much more) but if you were to delve a lot deeper you might find some more interesting facts that point out the fake claims of the date.

As I commenced with changing the date will change nothing, this stands to point out that ANY date will only be contrived further to divide the nation from pride in its inclusiveness...

24. m2catter

I think we can simplify this matter, without *Trump* like excursions:
    Those like myself who do believe a shift of the date is in the interest of all Australian, and yes Abos are also Australian, because of what happened to this particular group of people over the last 2 centuries
    and those who have no problem with the 26/01.
    I think you either acknowledge their suffering, or you don't.
    Regards

25. garry17

Again I had considered not responding to certain people as they are not here for reasonable discussion they are only here to insult and denigrate all while trying to impress their own idea of standards on others.

As pointed, confected outrage. Recognise that people who have red hair suffer discrimination, recognise people who are left handed suffered being considered evil from satin… All completely irrelevant.

Simply saying “Yes, they are all Australian but you must acknowledge they suffered…” Shouldn’t that be, They are Australian in name but we should all acknowledge the difference…

The Irony in the comment speaks volumes to the ignorance, Speaks volumes to the pretence of tolerance, and speaks division rather than inclusion… I believe the point is missed on this one…

If you want a remembrance day partition for it, stop trying to demand of others to what you want...