Fake Science

Discussion in 'Science' started by usfan, Jan 31, 2017.

1. usfan

usfan Banned

You've heard of 'Fake News', this is about fake science. There are many who use the name of 'science' to promote an ideological agenda. They are not producing scientific evidence, or arguments, or anything that even resembles Real Science, which follows the scientific method, but agenda driven propaganda, shrouded in pseudo scientific terms to fool people & dazzle them with obfuscating terminology. Let us examine some of the traits of this Fake Science trend, & the basis that it is built upon.

1. Mandated Conformity. Instead of producing facts & evidence, & letting them compel a conclusion, the fake science advocates prefer to mandate belief in their decrees, & pretend the facts support their position. It is contrary to the scientific method & open inquiry.
    2. Appeal to Authority. Fake Science believers have a pool of experts that they appeal to, based on credentials, rather than facts or evidence.
    3. Bandwagon Fallacy. Instead of science, they claim, 'Everyone who is smart knows this is true'. It is a claim of universal knowledge, when the facts have not even been presented.
    4. Poison the well. Any criticism of the facts, data, or conclusions from the Fake Scientists is met with an attack & discredit for the source of the criticism. The points of science or reason are not addressed, but the source is attacked to try to discredit it.
    5. Ad Hominem. This is a favorite tactic of the Fake Science crowd.. they do not reply to any reason or facts, but deflect with name calling & insults to the critic of their pet belief, whatever it is.
    6. Other logical fallacies. False equivalence, straw men, begging the question, circular reasoning, & just about any fallacy you can name is used by the Fake Scientists, instead of reason & scientific methodology.
    7. Fake Data. For the fake scientists, the agenda is all important, not Discovery, or building upon the human knowledge base. Data is manipulated, faked, & declared, with no examination allowed, & no criticism permitted.
    8. Indoctrination. The agendas of the Fake Scientists are not driven by reason or facts, but by propaganda & forced indoctrination. Progressive indoctrination centers & every human institution is controlled by the Fake Science adherents, & they promote their propaganda with religious zeal.
    9. Propaganda. Make the lie big, tell it often & loudly, & eventually people will believe it.

Fake science is the New Science of the day. In the dark ages, this kind of science was the status quo, & it took a revolution, beginning with Copernicus then built upon by Kepler, Newton, and many others that saw the birth of modern science, empiricism, & the Age of Reason. It reached a pinnacle in WW2, where technology & science seemed almost magical, & changed the world with dazzling displays and amazing feats. Machines could fly. Huge monuments to Man's Power were built everywhere, & the Ability of Man seemed limitless. Knowledge & science were worshiped like a god.

But since that era, we have slowly been 'devolving' as a society (in America, at least) to put technology in a sacred realm, where only the high priests could go. It was the holy of holies, where the common man could not go, & it is blasphemy for him to dare to challenge the decrees of the Elite Knowledge Keepers, who know all things, & should be trusted to care for him.

Here are a few of the Fake Science Beliefs of the day:

1. Global Warming. This is actually the poster child for Fake Science. It meets all the criteria: agenda driven, ridicule for any critics, ad hominem, contrived data, mandated belief, & relentless indoctrination.
    2. A woman can do what she pleases with her body. This ignores the scientific evidence of a unique, individual human being growing inside the woman, which is the mammalian way of reproduction. The new person is no long 'a part of the woman's body', but a new life, growing inside her. It is fake science to claim it is a 'blob of tissue', or other orwellian redefinitions.
    3. Evolution is settled science, & is proven to be the origin of man. This is flawed in every way, & is also Fake Science. There is NO evidence that this is even possible, much less that it DID happen. It is merely an indoctrinated belief
    4. Guns kill people. Statistics are given, from juggled data sets, & deceptive studies, to try to demonize the firearm, which is also a great deterrent for evildoers. But only the negatives are presented, to try to promote a false perception, & to promote a phony narrative.
    5. White people are evil. The race obsessed, divisive left is constantly revising history, promoting false narratives of 'white privilege,' 'black lives matter', & other hysteria based racist memes. It is not supported by facts or reality, but is a phony narrative, used to instigate violence, sedition, & division in society.
    6. A nation should have open borders. This is historically & logistically false & impossible. Any nation that has any attraction to immigration must have some kind of orderly system for immigrants. Open borders only create chaos, crime, & overload the system. The reasoning & arguments for it are completely irrational, fallacious, & based on deceptive data.
    7. If you are low on money, just print some more. This is the absurd belief that monetary policy should be based on decree, rather than production. But all decreed money does is devalue, as inflation eats up the wealth of the working man, & transfers it to the ruling elite.
    8. Govt can enable everyone to live off of everybody else. This is the 'Great Fiction' that Bastiat wrote of, & ignores the more basic problems of production of food & other necessities, which 'govt' cannot produce. Only working people create the necessities of life.
    9. America is evil. America is the only successful experiment in self rule, in the history of man. Those who hate it as a system usually suggest some kind of marxist solution, which has a terrible record for the common man, for rights, opportunity, prosperity, or anything else.
    10. You can be what you want to be. This ignores scientific reality. It pretends that biological reality is somehow a choice, or an option you can make at any time in your life. But it ignores the genetic & biological reality of gender.
    11. Love Trumps Hate. This is a favorite slogan of the progressive left, which they demonstrate by rioting, burning cars, & committing acts of violence on those who disagree with them. It is merely orwellian 'New speak', which redefines reality with opposite terms.
    12. Islam is the religion of peace. This is also demonstrated, almost daily, with suicide bombers, attacks on civilians, & terrorist attacks, with the left constantly defending them while attacking other beliefs as 'bigoted'.

There are many more, & i could go on. These are all sacred tenets of faith, in the religion of Progressivism. Almost all progressives hold to all of these, all at once, with little departure from the mandated belief system. These are not based on reason, facts, or empirical evidence, but mandated, indoctrinated propaganda. The American culture has turned from an empirical view of reality, with freedom of belief, to one of fantasy, mandates, & indoctrination.

Unless there is another cultural revolution in America, & unless empiricism & scientific methodology returns to its rightful place as an arbiter of knowledge, we will continue down the slide of madness & folly, where truth becomes a lie, & lies become 'truth.' It is a return to the dark ages, where Fake Science originated.

Johnny Brady likes this.
  2. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

Just because YOU do not like or understand science does not make it "Fake"....in fact one could use your dismissal of it as an indication of accuracy.

3. ImNotOliver

ImNotOliver Well-Known Member

I find it rather humorous when science deniers get all self-righteous claiming science is all wrong and then telling every one how science should be. The funniest part is where they claim science is all political even though their arguments are never scientific in nature but rather little more political opinions.

4. William Rea

William Rea Well-Known Member

Isn't there a conspiracy theory section on this forum?

5. robini123

robini123 Well-Known Member

You said a lot here so let's me pick one argument at a time. Let us look at argument 12. Where is the fake science belief in argument 12?

6. TrackerSam

TrackerSam Well-Known Member Past Donor

How many times has science been wrong?

7. REALITY CHUCK

REALITY CHUCK Well-Known Member

Point 3: Are you really saying that you believe that there is no basis for evolution? The only alternative to evolution is creationism. Can you present us with the scientific evidence of creationism? The last time I checked, belief in a god was just that - belief, faith - the opinion that something is true only because you want it to be. I have heard that there is substantial evidence to indicate that changes to species occur as a normal process over time.

8. TrackerSam

TrackerSam Well-Known Member Past Donor

9. ImNotOliver

Science is rarely and I mean very rarely wrong with the wrongs being more in the periphery than in any core understanding. That is because science is essentially a conversation between very knowledgabe individuals who are in the practice of investigating and veryfying every fact, every equation, every experimental result.

However, unscrupulous businessmen and politicians have long claimed scientific support for their cause when there has been no credible scientific support.

10. ImNotOliver

Going through the list I couldn"t help but notice that most of the items were ideas that predated the modern scientific period. Ideas that were shown to be in error once the scientific method was applied.

That one can point to a long list of discarded ideas is proof that the scientific method works. If one looks at correctness of science from the point of veiw of vetting ideas, then it has a much greater record than do religion or politics.

11. Burzmali

Burzmali Well-Known Member Past Donor

12. Iriemon

Iriemon Well-Known Member Past Donor

LOL

13. politicalcenter

politicalcenter Well-Known Member

OMG... Wow....just wow.

14. DarkDaimon

DarkDaimon Well-Known Member

It was the Bible right? I mean, the Bible is supposed to have all the answers so it must prove science wrong all the time?

15. tkolter

tkolter Well-Known Member

Science corrects itself, when a new theorem becomes a theory which is our best explanation using available knowledge for a natural phenomenon until something else replaces it that is why science is better than faith it can change. Try that with religious dogma. As for existing theories science isn't fake if they have a better theory for evolution then it will replace the current work say if aliens came down and over the ages did DNA research fine we would have to add in those mechanisms to the theory or maybe change the theory altogether.

16. usfan

usfan Banned

Sorry.. i've had time restraints, & have been caught up in discussions elsewhere to give this thread the attention it deserves.

You seem to miss the point. I DO like science. I am a great fan of the scientific method, & have used it much of my professional life, & am a avid hobbyist for all things scientific. I am addressing the concept of 'fake' science, which has been used to great effect by those who manipulate it for their ideological agendas.

I find it humorous when those who claim 'reason' use ad hominem and other fallacies for their arguments. ..especially the little jabs of 'science deniers', that is so prevalent in the Fake Science community. THAT community uses 'science' as a political tool, & manipulates data, promotes fake claims, & is contrary to the scientific method. My list was not a scientific rebuttal to each claim, but a list of what i see as unevidenced, unscientific claims, masked in scientific terminology. The abundance of threads, debates, & disputes about the evidence is proof enough that there is a conflict with the actual facts.

I'll post it, first so we can see what is being said.
    12. Islam is the religion of peace. This is also demonstrated, almost daily, with suicide bombers, attacks on civilians, & terrorist attacks, with the left constantly defending them while attacking other beliefs as 'bigoted'.

This is the indoctrination, from the left, toward those they can influence, such as in academia, entertainment, news media, etc. It is not presented in a 'scientific' manner, so i can see how you question its inclusion in the list. But as it fits in the typical progressive talking points, & those points are religiously indoctrinated into any subjects who will listen (and even those who won't!), i have listed with the others. 'Science' is merely an observation of Truth or Reality about the universe, so their dogmatic claims of this point is a declaration of Truth, from the left's perspective. But it is flawed, as the premise does not fit the observation.

17. usfan

usfan Banned

I would not ever say 'science has been wrong'. I would say HUMANS have been wrong, in their interpretation of scientific 'facts', but the facts themselves remain true. It is the pseudo scientists of the day.. the status quo.. who have been the biggest hurdle & opponents for real scientific knowledge. It is no different now, than it was hundreds of years ago. They just wear different hats, & defend different religious beliefs.

I am saying that there IS NO EVIDENCE for the macro ToE, & i have argued this for years on this forum, without anyone producing ONE bit of evidence to support the claims of structural genetic changes, added chromosomes, genes, or even traits. This is a 'pseudo science' claim, that many people are duped into believing that it is 'settled science' or such. It has been my observation that this deception is very prevalent, and probably most on this forum, who are products of public education, are indoctrinated into this belief. They do not question it, & it is constantly reaffirmed & ingrained by almost every institution in America.

18. usfan

usfan Banned

I do not think history supports this view. Humans defend their turf, & any perceived threats are shut down, by the status quo & ruling elite. Many of the more important scientific advances have been made in SPITE of, not in participation with, the scientific status quo. There is no reason to believe it is any different now, & there are plenty of examples of this kind of censorship, bullying, & attack dog mentality among those in positions of power. Truth happens in spite of the ruling elite, not because of them. One need only look at Capernicus, Newton, Kepler, Pasteur, & hundreds of other 'seekers of scientific truth' to see that the outliers are not always wrong.. and the insiders are not always right. In most of the important areas of human knowledge, the exact opposite is more often the case.

19. robini123

When it comes to Islam, what is the premise that fits the observation?

20. One Mind

One Mind Well-Known Member Past Donor

What has political opinion got to do with fake science? Most of your list are political beliefs not science. Nor fake science.

I always wondered what chimp named a field, Political Science? Someone trying to pass off a belief as science? LOL Most ideological beliefs, are seldom based upon even rationality, logic or reason. It is based upon values and beliefs. So, I might have a belief that a society is more healthy and moral if we share a common value of cooperation and sharing, which humanity did for most of its history prior to civilization, while another person might believe that it's everyone for themselves, the survival of the fittest, and then order the society by law and rules which yield the former or the latter. This has nothing to do with science and more to do with whichever philosophy appeals to our own personality.

21. usfan

usfan Banned

12. Islam is the religion of peace.

The premise does not fit the observation. It is merely an asserted claim, with no corroborating evidence. In fact, all of past history in the world, concerning islam is completely contradictory to that claim.

22. robini123

Why judge an entire group by the actions of a subset of said group? Why focus on the negative to the exclusion of the positive if other than bias?

23. usfan

usfan Banned

In fact, all of past history in the world, concerning islam is completely contradictory to that claim.
    It is in Islamic ideology to conquer and subdue other people and cultures.

24. yguy

yguy Well-Known Member

So who'd you check with? Snopes?

25. KAMALAYKA

KAMALAYKA Banned

Right-wing beliefs:

1.) All news I hate "just so happens" to be fake news.

2.) All science I hate "just so happens" to be fake science.