Dressing like a woman

Discussion in 'Humor & Satire' started by Bowerbird, Feb 5, 2017.

1. Bowerbird

Bowerbird Well-Known Member

It seems President Trump has high standards when it comes to the way his staff are dressed. Looking the part is as important as acting the part when you are in the president's circle, apparently.
    But his reported requirement that his female staff "should dress like women" has provoked an inevitable backlash on social media.
    According to a former Trump campaign worker, quoted in a news report by Axios, the president wants the men who work for him to wear ties and the women to dress "appropriately".
    Dresses are apparently preferred, but if a female staffer wears jeans, they must "look neat and orderly", the publication reported.
    The internet responded in a powerful way, with many using the hashtag #DressLikeAWoman..

Women have reacted angrily around the world - sending pictures of themselves in everything from Army uniforms to police uniforms to Hazardous waste outfits to surgical scrubs

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-38853350

Mr Trump - "dressing like a woman" means wearing whatever is appropriate on the say - and whatever WE decide to wear

margot3 likes this.
  2. Crownline

Crownline Banned at Members Request

Sounds like a bunch of weenies. It their are standards of dress, follow them or get fired. You should be well groomed, clean, neat, orderly, and professional in your duties and dress. Be it military, law enforcement, UPS driver, or slinging burgers at MC Donald's. And get a handle on your BMI while you are at it.

3. Bowerbird

You must be a Trump supporter - the smell of misogyny is in the air!!

[​IMG]

Sushisnake likes this.
  4. Injeun

Injeun Well-Known Member

BMI....ain't that the truth. Americans are looking more and more like walruses and manatees than human beings.

5. tecoyah

tecoyah Well-Known Member Past Donor

Trump just wants cleavage and grab drapes.

6. SMDBill

SMDBill Well-Known Member

The federal government has had grooming and dress standards for employees for as long as I can remember. That's not new nor shocking. It existed under Obama, Bush, Clinton, Bush, Reagan. Federal employees are expected to maintain standards, with their appearance being one of them. That it surprises people now strikes me as political in motive. There are also professionalism and other conduct standards that have been in place for decades.

7. crank

crank Well-Known Member

If there are no dictates on ACTUAL attire - ie, 'dresses only', then there is nothing sexist or illegal about it. It's simply a 'dress up' code, common in almost all law firms and corporate offices around the world. But of course, because Tiny Hands said, it's necessarily evil.

It should be added that I would never wear a skirt or a dress to work, regardless of how high up the corporate ladder I was. I turned down a highly paid position in a corporate office once, purely because they had a 'no trousers' dress code. Illegal and archaic, but somehow they'd gotten away with it. I actually laughed out loud in the interview, and asked them how the men feel about wearing skirts. I went straight home and reported them to the appropriate industrial relations department.

8. crank

crank Well-Known Member

Probably. But those young women unfortunate enough to have to work with him, can ward that off easily enough by not dressing like slappers. If you go to work with cleavage on show etc, you're asking for attention from males between the ages of 18 and 80. Even men who regard themselves as feminists (you know, the ones with atrophied testicles) will unconsciously look at a bodacious pair of tartars, proudly displayed.

9. Bowerbird

And who is to blame for that? Try the very lucrative fast food industry that funds - you guessed it!!

- - - Updated - - -

Are you insinuating that men are so out of control that the sight of a bit of cleavage is enough to make them assault someone?

10. crank

crank Well-Known Member

The fast food is as readily available to skinny people as it is to fat people.

- - - Updated - - -

who mentioned assault? I'm talking about pervy eyes.

11. Bowerbird

Whether you gain weight or lose it is about more than just "eat better". Fast food is the cigarettes of health. Like Cigarettes there was no denying that not everyone suffered adverse effects however there was also no denying that statistically you were more likely to die if you smoked

12. crank

crank Well-Known Member

didn't understand any of that, sorry.

my point - personal responsibility. I can eat crap and smoke just as easily as the fat smoking loser up the street, but I choose not to.

13. Bowerbird

Again - there are reasons and reasons for weight gain. Did you know that gut bacteria can play a part? Did you know that drinking soft drink not only causes weight gain from the sugar but also increases hunger? But my objection to your comments were more about objectification of body image than weight gain itself

So - you want all women to have perfect Barbie doll looks?

14. Injeun

Injeun Well-Known Member

Not sure what you mean about who the fast food industry funds. But that's beside the point. People eat too much all the time, and do too little always. I see more obese people on one trip to walmart than I saw in the first forty years of my life.

15. Bowerbird

Because we have a built in reward system designed to help us survive famine - it simply goes out of control in times of plenty

But fast food is designed to make you hungry - and most of these people have lobbyists in Washington

16. Sushisnake

Sushisnake Active Member

Fast food's cheap and filling compared to healthy alternatives. It also takes no time to prepare- important now that people are working two or more jobs, rushing from one to the other, just to make ends meet. And that's without even mentioning shift work. Fast food is hooking low income earners through the sugar. The sugar's in everything. Once upon a time, we wouldn't have stood for corporations pushing sugar like smack to make a buck out those least able to afford better, Crank.

17. crank

crank Well-Known Member

there is only one reason for fatness ... .eating too much and exercising too little. all others are merely excuses.

couldn't care less what 'women' look like in the sense you mean, I would like ALL humans to avoid obesity. Kids, men, old ladies, teenagers, men in dresses, even Trump.

18. crank

crank Well-Known Member

I understand the economics of low quality processed foods ... they are considerably cheaper. But they don't equate to obesity unless obesity is chosen. I know poor folk living on cheap white bread, rice, and the odd pack of frozen chicken nuggets - who are skinny as rakes. They drink water instead of PAYING for soda, and they rarely eat meat (because they can't afford it). Poverty does equate to poor nutrition, but it has nothing to do with weight.

19. Bowerbird

No it is not as simple as that - as MULTIPLE studies have shown

And Sushisnake is right - fast food is also comparatively CHEAP and often marketed as "healthy' so what is a low income earner who is time poor going to choose?

20. Bowerbird

And to a certain extend neither does diet - I would suggest if they are "as skinny as snakes" they have either a higher basal metabolism, are young males, or they have poor nutrition overall

Genes can be a factor

https://www.jci.org/articles/view/9238

http://www.nature.com/nature/journal/v392/n6674/abs/392398a0.html

Gut bacteria play a part

http://diabetes.diabetesjournals.org/content/57/6/1470.
    http://www.pnas.org/content/104/3/979.short

Optimal diets are still in contention

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa022207#t=article

https://scholar.google.com.au/scholar?q=optimal+diet+for+weight+loss&btnG=&hl=en&as_sdt=0,5

21. Crownline

Crownline Banned at Members Request

Fast food isn't cheap. Burger, fries, and a coke is $8-$10 bucks. Effort, strategic shopping, effort, imagination, and effort, you can have lunch all week for $10.

22. Deckel

Deckel Well-Known Member Past Donor

The WH staff has a dress code....what an injustice. :roll:

23. Sushisnake

Sushisnake Active Member

People working several jobs and shiftwork don't have that time. Seriously, I've done it and it was just me: two jobs, one of them split shifts including overnights and afternoons the next day, the other one a morning job. I worked 12 days on/two days off a fortnight. If my kids had been still been at home I don't know what I would have done about meals for them. And a work schedule like I had is pretty common now. So many of the well paid 9 to 5 Mon to Fri jobs are gone. They've been replaced with two, three or more jobs with a lot more hours to work to get somewhere near the living wage the one job used to bring.

I didn't make it plain, but I was actually thinking of families stuck in a life of too many work hours for too little money. Tired, worn out and addicted to sugar just to keep going.

Sugar gives you a "rush", a burst of energy for a little while. Sugar gives you a mental lift, too. Sugar's addictive. The fast food corporations know all this, so they pack the food with sugar, knowing it's a health hazard. And instead of demanding the corporations be called to account for this, we think up reasons to blame the consumers they got their hooks into.

Once upon a time, we would have noted the obesity epidemic and wondered what happened . I'd like to think we would have realised the idea that everyone's just gotten totally lazy and couldn't care less about themselves or their families anymore was just plain stupid and we'd have dismissed it immediately.

I'd like to think we'd have looked a little deeper and realised something was going on we couldn't see. And it is. Too little money, too little time and too much sugar. And it's not just in the fast food like Maccas and Burger King. It's in everything. Name a convenience food, it's full of sugar. Have a look at the sugar in your supposedly healthy muesli bar. Check out the label on the ketchup bottle. Have you tried the oven bake sweet potato chips? Did you notice how sweet they are? It's sugar.

Jamie Oliver did a demonstration of how much sugar a child consumes in infants school, just from a daily drink of chocolate milk. It was wheelbarrow full and it was frightening . I can't post the video, but you'll find it on TED Talks.

I know I'm harping, but why are we letting food manufacturers get away with a cynical, gross and wanton neglect of public health just to make a buck like this?

24. Smartmouthwoman

Smartmouthwoman Bless your heart Past Donor

Exactly. Obviously some posters have never worked in a professional environment or they'd know business dress codes are commonplace.

25. Bowerbird

Dress codes ARE commonplace and they are exactly that - dress CODES

Very different from a salacious comment from a person with a history of boasting about '(*)(*)(*)(*)(*) grabbing"